TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We're getting our Arx. How shall we celebrate?

The Architect

We're getting our Arx. How shall we celebrate?

T-minus 12 days and counting. Exciting, eh? So how are we going to get the word out? One idea I had is to make an Arx Themed TTLG Forums Logo, to hold on the top of the forums for the next month. Clicking will take the clicker to StygianAbyss.com. Any thoughts on this?

Yay!

Arx Themed TTLG Forums Logo is an excellent idea... Maybe have a competition for the photoshop-capable forum members this week, to warm up the community (where do I sign up?)

additional other idea: temporarily replacing the "Soon We'll Have Ads...."-banner.

Great idea!

I'm all for the logo idea, far too few people seem to know about Arx (well if it wasn't for Stygian I'd prolly never have found out about it either... ).

So I think the guys at Arkane need all the help they can get, PR-wise.

Like the new banner btw
    "But it was here just a minute ago?!?"
    And they called him... "The Prince of shadows" ^_^
    [For the Lurker in you]

ARX ARX ARX!!!

Next to Digi, there probably is no bigger fan of Arx on this forum. NONE! except for those who already have the game perhaps

I have the demo, which is reason enough to say this game is incredible. It's as atmospheric and immersive as Thief 1 (dare I say more?) and nearly as customizable as Morrowind.

I don't know much of the story yet, since I've only played the demo, but from what I can see it will shape up to be pretty good.

I'm returning my un-free copy of Operation Flashpoint to EB since it doesn't work, getting the store credit (vouchers) and coming back to get Arx Fatalis the very day it is released.

I'd like to write a full review of Arx someday, but since I don't have the game I don't think that would be fair.

By the way, the performance in AF is astounding--the lighting and fog effects are truly incredible, and the textures are rich and detailed. The sound? Think Thief and System Shock, but four years more advanced. I can only compare Arx's graphics to Morrowind's, but the frame rates you'll be getting in Arx are much, much higher, as the French/German/Austrian players can likely assure you. I personally think that everything is more detailed anyway.

I could rant on and on about this game but will do it when it's actually released. For now, I'm just wishing that Digi hadn't said "t-minus 12 days..."

Arkane Studios' Julien Roby just sent us a mail with the following content:
    ARX FATALIS OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE:

USA: October 30th (9-days f/ today)
    UK: November 1st

(from RPGdot) http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php

JoWood also says the end of October:
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...895190,00.html

As long as it's before Halloween it's okay...because then I have something to do that's actually scary. (I have nothing else to do on Halloween--no one does anything around here and I'm too old, according to my parents, to go trick-or-treating. I just want the candy though, so I'd feel like a thief........so I'll probably sneak out and do it anyway.....)

HAY! I just read the "increasing Arx awareness" announcement, and Digi got a review copy! lucky bastard.
    Of couse, when you enter Parliament, you will all also be ripped to the teats on fine cocaine...

I actually thought it was a rant-about-Arx-enough-until-all-of-TTLG-buys-it-thread. Guess I was wrong.

Fafrhd: Digi has a review copy because he is the man who previews/reviews Arx for us here at TTLG. Keep in mind that TTLG is, in fact, a special-interest gaming website and does have fairly good credentials throughout the industry. Probably better than any other non-corporate run gaming site...mainly because I don't know of any. (Except lonegamers.com)

Darkwarrior, please take a look at my registration date. I'm well aware of who Digi is and what, exactly, TTLG is. I'm just not aware of many cases where fansite admins get advance review copies of games, hence, Digi is a lucky bastard.
    Of couse, when you enter Parliament, you will all also be ripped to the teats on fine cocaine...

Did they ever release a patch for the english demo?

I remember the first one ran fine but the "latest" ran like crap and bluescreened my box.

I'm not buying this game if it isn't stable.

Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait Can't wait

Grrrmmmbbll...
    I'll have to hold on to my coffee...

Originally posted by Fafhrd
    Darkwarrior, please take a look at my registration date. I'm well aware of who Digi is and what, exactly, TTLG is. I'm just not aware of many cases where fansite admins get advance review copies of games, hence, Digi is a lucky bastard.
    No harm intended there, my friend. Digi hasn't previewed many games, but he has previewed them. I think he did Thief 2, didn't he?

Who knows. More importantly, who cares?

The Architect
    Originally posted by Darkwarrior_II
    I actually thought it was a rant-about-Arx-enough-until-all-of-TTLG-buys-it-thread. Guess I was wrong.
    It is. We want Arkane to be rich and famed, so that they will make Arx 2, and Underworld 3 and many more.

The Architect
    Originally posted by Darkwarrior_II
    No harm intended there, my friend. Digi hasn't previewed many games, but he has previewed them. I think he did Thief 2, didn't he?
    Say what? No, I didn't preview Thief 2. Arx is actually the first game I've been lucky enough to get to play early.

Hmm. It was the Motrin kicking in their, I suppose. (twisted my ankle on Saturday and it won't stop swelling....Motrin helps with that).

Ideas for promoting Arx:
    - Digi's Forum logo thing.
    - recruiting forum members to post links to stygianabyss.com in their sigs
    - writing "ARXFATALIS-ONLINE.COM" in black letters on your forehead (assuming you have no social life to begin with)
    - some other things that will inevitably arise but haven't been thought of yet.

This game sucks. The interface is a catastrophe (the demo used to be REALLY AWFUL, now it is just AWFUL). Things do not highlight (like in Thief, or the brackets in Shock2 or Deus Ex) when you hover your crosshair over them. When it has finally dawned on you that you can pick up this bunch of fern, you have to keep shift pressed to pick things up (where is the intuitive right-click frob we have all become accustomed to?). Some items are not pickup-able, but only drag-able in the game world. You can't drag stacks out of the inventory. You do not get descriptions of items in the inventory when you hover the mouse cursor over them. You have a normal travel mode, a use mode, a spell mode and a fight mode and then you can use keys to overlay the inventory and book (which functions as travel log, automap, spell archive and stats screen). This is incredibly dumb as this plethora of interfaces always gets into the way of playing. Shock2, and related, Deus Ex have just a bimodal interface, one travel/action/shoot mode and one inventory mode, while using/frobbing was possible in both - and people thought THAT already was complicated. I can't imagine what they would say about Arx' highly modal interface.

You can only assign single keys in the options, not key combination like in the Dark Engine games. The speech in cutscenes often doesn't play to its end - the characters keep talking to each other with incomplete sentences. Meleeing is awfully unimaginative and you can easily beat all of the first 30 enemies or so by just backpedalling and keep hitting them. Then you encounter a giant spider which kills you in one bite. This is the worst case of imbalance I've ever seen. Enemies do not have different attack patterns like in Quake 1 - the best they came up with is that you have to crouch to hit the small spiders.

Quicksaving takes 8 seconds and thereby defeats its purpose. The radius of automapping is just 2 meters or so, so if you want to fully map a large room you have to cross it like a lawnmower crosses a football field. To cast spells you have to memorise long sequences of mouse stroke which take just too long to execute in close combat action and you can hotkey buffer only 3. When you find a precious magic scroll, you can put it in the buffer too, only to find it pushed out of the buffer from the next spell you put in. Then the scroll is gone and wasted, of course. There is no fucking music in the fucking main menu. Do you remember a game which didn't have music there?

I was so frustrated with all that I haven't touched it for over 6 weeks. I rue the 40+€ I payed for this badly designed game. HANDS OFF.

I have a silly question, but what kind of hardware will Arx need? I've got a PIII 550 with 128 Ram and a TNT2 video card. I haven't had any problems with Thief 1 or 2, or any other game for that matter. Will this be enough?

(I plan to upgrade later, but it's low on my list of needs right now)

Thanks,

-Storybuilder

I have a question. I know nothing of Arx Fatalis, so I am wondering why it has been so eagerly awaited in the first place, aside from the fact that Stephen Russell has done voicework for it. On a completely irrelevant note, I just realized something. That wasn't a question. Still, could someone answer the sentence?

Tony, in short Arx can be seen as an unofficial Ultima Underworld sequal..(which fans have been clamoring for, even going so far as to petition in demand for an official Ultima Underworld 3 to no avail.) Obviously the Ultima series has a strong and rabid fan base, and for good reason IMO. Will Arx fill that gap? Or even live up to the expectations for that matter? We'll soon find out.

The Artwork in Arx Fatalis and the idea behind it is truly amazing, but I agree with Daxim-the interface is a pain! Some enemies are hard to hit and act just strange, like they have no mind of their own. White arrows that point on ability to be able to scroll and look around in 3d, make the view somewhat annoying. Otherwise itís an excellent game, I recommend playing the demo and decide on it for yourself.

-Alexius-

Yes, Fafhrd is quite correct. Digi is a lucky bastard . Although I have a self-imposed exile from the forums in place for the next 6 weeks (to help me catch up on a lot of things), Digi's post has roused me to offer my feelings of excitement for the release of this game. I have been more excited about the release of this game than other title in development, since I first heard about Arkane Studio's plane to make an underworld styled game. Unfortunately, I also had to witness Daxim's usual charmless antics as well.

I must agree with you, Daxim, but most of these things doesn't disturb me.

But the interface IS a pain!

The Architect
    The interface is great - much better than SS2's version. You CAN assign 2 keys to commands, and combat is a blast - much more enjoyable than the combat in Thief.

Originally posted by Digital Nightfall
    The interface is great - much better than SS2's version. You CAN assign 2 keys to commands, and combat is a blast - much more enjoyable than the combat in Thief.
    And why were we combating in Thief??? Garrett is not a tank.

Yeah, but they both use swords, dont they?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast