TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314

Thread: Ruins of Originia FM1: Mines of Margroth (Oct. 27/2002) support

T2 Ruins of Originia. Where exactly is download link to this dml?

The dml was made for mission 4 so didn’t really want to post it in the thread for mission 1 but here it is anyway.

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...l=1#post239245
    Last edited by fortuni; 7th Aug 2020 at 04:47.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    There’s a dml for the T2 version of Mines of Morgroth which fixes the Gem of Oldorf bug in that mission
    No any dml's for first mission?

No.
    However installing the .gam dml may be useful, I only report issues and test dmls, others who understand dmls would be able to tell you exactly what the .gam does specifically.
    Last edited by fortuni; 7th Aug 2020 at 09:34.

Possible to fix this issue? Only in T2 version of Mines of Margroth. Make sure that guards are knocked out and new_mantle is disabled. After using moss arrow and after using GentleClip bug in Gem of Oldorf first door there are second door in that should be done the same with moss arrow and GentleClip bug. Gem of Oldorf is active. After defeating and after grabbing this gem objective Find the Soulstone called Gem of Oldorf still waiting for complete (mission complete is impossible).
    Last edited by Xmodule999; 8th Aug 2020 at 09:13.

So, let's see whether I got this right... You create a very specific situation (new_mantle disabled, guards unconscious), then use a certain bug twice in connection with doors and moss arrows... and then you suddenly discover that using two bugs to your advantage created a third bug, and now you want that to be fixed?

And I thought I had weird hobbies.

With new_mantle also possible to replicate this bug. Because of two locations in this mission where is possible to get under ground (first is brush with text Only when both eyes see fire, will the inner temple doors be opened - only T2 version, second is well near text Well of lost souls).

I’ve never heard of the the GentleClip bug, but apart from that the rest of the ‘bug’ report makes no sense anyway. ‘Going underground (first is brush with text only....)

Of course there’s a bug, you’ve broken the mission by the sound of it.

If your going to report a bug in future we need specific details as to precisely what’s wrong and where, posting saves, screenshots, Dromed info such as obj no’s, Dromed links etc.

Your report is far to generalised, giving no information that we can use.

I also extensively bug tested this mission a couple of years ago and was happy everything is good.

No further action required.

Well. Somehow I missed this one in all the years since it came out.

And I'm glad I did.

So far, it is the most obtuse, annoying, purposeless mission I have ever played.

So. Now I see no choice but to read the whole mission thread in detail from beginning to end, with spoilers, to try to decide if I even want to proceed. One frustration after another, with no sense of direction, plot, or purpose in what I have done.

Apparently, I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by tone_lord View Post
    So far, it is the most obtuse, annoying, purposeless mission I have ever played.

[...]One frustration after another, with no sense of direction, plot, or purpose in what I have done.
    That is, unfortunately, a constant problem in the first mission of the "Ruins of Originia" campaign, regardless of whether you play the version of the mission included in the campaign (for Thief 2), or the single mission for Thief 1. I do not know whether the mission briefing said it clearly or not - the plot is that you want to steal an old book, most likely in the possession of an Ex-Hammerite priest called Bantar. Bantar went into the Mines of Margroth, and you plan to follow him - or rather search for him once you reach the mines, since he didn't leave any message telling where he went.

In the mission, you should reach the mines early on, but unfortunately, the mines are deep, and quite large. And of course, there are several areas where hostile creatures roam about. Whether you should kill them or rather circumvent them is up to you - I would recommend to save often, and look for strategies to kill the beasts.

Explore the mines and try to find out where new and unexplored areas are. Sometimes, you have to deal with obscure hints on how to proceed from one area to another, e.g., in an underground graveyard. Try to find and read as much readables as you can, for several of them contain hints.

Save before engaging unknown enemies in combat, before doing rather uncommon things (e.g., shooting arrows at some unknown object), and before you possibly lose some equipment (e.g., before shooting a rope arrow to somewhere where you might not be able to retreive it). Be aware that there are various traps or trap-like situations - another reason for saving every now and then.

The following missions in the Thief 2 campaign "Ruins of Originia" are a bit less confusing; you will often not know where to go now, but you usually will see where you have not been yet and should most likely go to. However, it's definitively a good idea to download the campaign's walkthru, since most players use it quite a lot on their first playthrough of these missions.

Keep in mind, though, that the "Mines of Margroth" single mission differs from the campaign version in some regard, especially near the end. If the walkthru tells you to do something you can't, seek guidance in the forums again (and mention which version of this mission you are playing).

Good luck! Whether you will like these missions in the end or not, I cannot say.

I really don't understand what you mean with no plot, tone_lord. The video briefing and objectives alone are very clear in my mind. The map is also quite detailed in the opening area. This is one of my favorite missions of all time, although I haven't played the rest of the campaign.

"The most obtuse, annoying, purposeless mission I have ever played". With no specifics on what exactly annoys you, what is obtuse, what is purposeless... Sounds like user error to me.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314