TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UED question...

UED question...

How do I delete or move around a room or additive brush? I'm guessing that I have to shift-select them so there is that yellow outline and move it then rebuild geometry, but I haven't tried it yet because I don't want to screw up my level. Also, how do I make those nice steepled rooves that I see on most buildings in TUT?
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

To move brushes, left click to select/highlight them. CTRL left button will select multiple brushes. CTRL + hold left + moving the mouse will move the brushes, while doing the same using the right button instead will rotate brushes.

If you don't want to screw up the level, save it under progressive file names whenever you're about to do anything drastic. For instance, I've now saved Breandor under nearly a huindred names, and deleted the early versions.

To make roof sections, you'll need to learn vertex editing, brush clipping, and the 2D editor (I prefer vertex editing and brush clipping, because brushes made with the 2D editor have to be cleaned up a bit).

Unreal Wiki has info on all of this (Shame it seems to be down at the moment).

Ahh I get it. I was afraid my subtractions and additions were set in stone once I did them. I don't think I can use the 2-d editor to make my rooves the way I want to do it. Guess I'll have to learn how to use the clipping thing.

<-- UED Noob
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

i prefer 2-d editor.......... i find it most simple..usually when i edit vertexes i end up crashing the map or it's not even.. i wish you could select multiple vertexes at a time...then it would be easy...
    ~DarkProject-=:ToB:=-{Leader of the Tears of Blood}www.tearsofblood.com
    Kill the spiders ...and save the butterflies... It's rational until you realize that by striving for it, You become a spider yourself...

The 2d editor leads to bsp holes, DP. It won't always have the size you really want, and using brush resizing is really bad.

Originally posted by DarkProject
    i prefer 2-d editor.......... i find it most simple..usually when i edit vertexes i end up crashing the map or it's not even.. i wish you could select multiple vertexes at a time...then it would be easy...
    You can
    Use the camera tool for moving around a single point, but use the VE tool if you want to shuffle groups around. AFAIK, you select the brush and then ctrl+alt drag a box around the points you want to select. Once thats done, just push em around and deselect when your done.
    Do be sure to double check any vertex you've moved though. Vertex editing has some quirks about it that you need to watch out for. It can be hair pulling to find out a vertex you shuffled around last week was actually off by 0.00045, and created a giant BSP hole when you added something else 5 minutes ago.
    "Life is a near death experience"
    aka: Solstice

Okay, I have a few more questions. I couldn't find them on that site. Sorry.

What's the smallest space a player can crawl into?
    How do I take a player model and make it into decoration? Like the big statue in th-grange or the suit of armor by the front door.

More as I remember them.
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

i mean can you select multiple vertexes...lie be able to move 2 vertexes at the same time instead of one by one.... moving them 1 by one is pissing annoying

I think the smallest space a player can crawl into is 64 uu high, and the biggest practical mantle height is 128, though I've managed 132 or something by pointing downward at just the right angle.

Build an assualt course out of cube primitives to find out about jumps &c.

I'm not so sure on the decorations.

To use exisitng models I think you have to set "Stasis" and "Static" to true in the advanced actor properties, set collision and display properties (The multiskins bit is used for reskinning a standard deco), and also pick an animation using the mesh browser.. not so sure about doing that because I've never bothered. Looking at the statue in Grange should help now... :-/

The SuitofArmor decoration is in the MyLevel package of Grange (Heh, well placed too, scared the bejeezus out of me the first time I went up the kitchen stairs), so you could load Grange, then your map, place a SuitofArmor, and it would be embedded after a rebuild and save.

i need some help..i imported some music.. and i want to delete it,.....how do i delete it..in edit all i see is play and stop ...no delete...and how do i get into the 'mylevel' package??? i really need this deleted cause it's cauing my to be 4.5 megs bigger.... help

Arg, I've been trying to make a sloped roof for the 1st floor that wraps around the smaller 2nd floor outside walls. I'm about ready to throw this f'ing thing out the window. If anyone wants to do it, I'd be grateful.
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

Nevermind. I figured it out.
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

I hate making peaked roofs so much.

Okay, I'm an idiot. I can make a single room, but now I want to add a thief and a guard in the room. How do I add these two actors? I can add a guard, but I can't seem to find how to add a thief. This all means that when I play my "room" I can only spawn into the ai guard, the "thief team is full." So how can I add a thief? Plus, what is the right way to add a guard, the way I do it I think is wrong. Don't you have to add a TKnight, and THEN add a spawnpoint? I don't know.

thanks

Originally posted by Poseur
    Okay, I'm an idiot. I can make a single room, but now I want to add a thief and a guard in the room. How do I add these two actors? I can add a guard, but I can't seem to find how to add a thief. This all means that when I play my "room" I can only spawn into the ai guard, the "thief team is full." So how can I add a thief? Plus, what is the right way to add a guard, the way I do it I think is wrong. Don't you have to add a TKnight, and THEN add a spawnpoint? I don't know.

thanks
    See this page under where it says "Spawn Points".
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

Is there a way to see the size of a brush you've placed?
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

Only the grid. I try to work at a setting of 16, and a preferable minimum of 4. As well as making it easy to read the sizes of brushes, building clean reduces BSP errors dramatically.

How do you name a zone? Like Pool House, City, etc.
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

Originally posted by NeoPendragon
    How do you name a zone? Like Pool House, City, etc.
    Add a ZoneInfo actor to the Zone. In there you should find a "LocationString" property that defines the zone name.

Alternatively, there are LocationID actors that just define a name for cubic or cylindrical areas.

Ok. I used a ThieveryZoneInfo. Not sure what's different about it but it seems to work as well.
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

Ok. I used a ThieveryZoneInfo. Not sure what's different about it but it seems to work as well.
    ThieveryZoneInfo is just a subclass of ZoneInfo that allows you to specifiy music for that zone aswell (like in the sewers in Korman). Nonetheless, it still works for the purpose you need it for.

If I change the default value for a loot item will it just save those changes specific to my map or will it mess my game up?
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

If I change the default value for a loot item will it just save those changes specific to my map or will it mess my game up?
    Erm, if you change the values for the default loot item actors, then you will quite possibly mess your installation up. Since it will recompile over the old Thievery base files (due to the changed values), when you try to join an online game you will get a "version mismatch" error for that particular file (I've been there, done that ).

You'd be better off changing the individual values in the actors you've placed in your level

OR

If you're gonna be using the modified actors with new loot value a lot, you could subclass the existing loot items & save the new versions (with different loot values) to the MyLevel package.

(A month ago, & I wouldn't have had a clue what the hell I was talking about )

Thanks.
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

Does anyone know how to make a triggerable killzone like in DM-Pressure? Basicly I want a kitchen freezer to kill someone if the door button is used an the person is locked inside.
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast