TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Problem in Gervasius' Archery Tournament

Problem in Gervasius' Archery Tournament

Actually I'm not sure if I'm having a problem or I've hit a bug. I found the Golden Skull. Like a lot of other people, I can't find a way up there. I thought that maybe I have to shoot a rope arrow into the hedges and climb and mantle up. For some reason this isn't working. I read the back posts on this mission, and it sounds like this is exactly what you're supposed to do. So why doesn't it work for me. I've had the arrow at the top of the hedges. When I climb to the top of the arrow and press the jump and forward key together, instead of mantling up, I just jump up and away from the arrow. Sometimes I manage to catch the rope again, and other times I've fallen and taken damage. Usually, when this happens, it's because you're not supposed to be mantling up. So what's wrong? Is it only in one specific spot that you can rope up the hedges, or is this the totally wrong idea. I've been trying to do this for over an hour. I'm playing on Hard, and I'm at a total loss here. Please help!

Uhh, I found a way up there and got the Skull. I had to rope up and jump to the roof of a building and make my way back to where the skull is and then jump to that. But now what about the 2nd objective? Where's the 2nd place prize? Can someone give me a good hint? Thanks.
    Last edited by BadArm; 19th Nov 2002 at 05:41.

There's a locked door back in the main building. You need to find the key for it and go out there. I'm afraid I don't remember where the key is, though, for sure! I seem to recall that it was
    spoiler:
    in a small section of the maze where you find some treebeasts, lying on the ground in the corner
    , but I'm not positive and I don't know if it's always in the same place or not. I'd check, but I just don't have time this morning.

Ah, you must mean,

spoiler:
    the locked double doors in the main building.

I went back there last night and tried bashing them open with my sword. It didn't work. I was wondering if maybe that area was only accessible at the expert level, but I guess not.

spoiler:
    I know where the tree Beasts are, so I'll go and look there. At least now I know there's a key some where in the maze. I was in the tree beast area but I didn't hang around looking for things very long. I wish I had a Fire arrow or something that could kill that live one. Well, maybe I'll get lucky and he won't attack me.

BadArm,
    spoiler:
    treebeasts are quite easy to backstab.

Really,

spoiler:
    I didn't know you could backstab a treebeast.

I guess there are a lot of things I don't know about Thief yet. It's one of the things that makes the game so good, it's richness in diversity.

Thanks again Nightwalker.

Hello BadArm

- I'm sorry I missed your questions...I do try to keep up with the forum but I moved this summer and didn't log much computer (or Thief) time!

- The intent of the hedges, maze, etc., was not to use rope arrows and climb up the hedges (although from the start our very enterprising band of thieves found this as a possible solution...I did not plan that but I didn't discourage it either!)...my real plan was:

spoiler:
    If you follow one of the floating lights (the wisps), it will show you how to get to the top of the highest hedge--from there you find a handy potion to allow you to easily snatch the skull...as I recall, I put a hint in the game to tell you this (in the "mail box" where you start).

Oh, and one other tip:

spoiler:
    I gave you a couple of fire arrows...near the tree beasts. I didn't know you could backstab those monsters! They always scare the heck out of me!

Anyway, this tip may be too late for you but I hope others may benefit!

"Come out here you, you, Taffer!"

Finished with only 2570 of loot. Probably some guards with purses who escaped my sword/blackjack. Or some well hidden nuggets (even though I found a lot of nuggets).

Good mission, good maze.

However, I have a lil' question, regarding a locked chest (not lockpickable) in the middle of the attic (the "secret" attic). Is there a key for opening it?

And what about the hedge trimmer? Is it usefull?