TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thievery ThMenu.u and UnrealED. Why....

Thievery ThMenu.u and UnrealED. Why....

Thievery Editing Question with UnrealEd

I have a few questions if you can help.

1. I am trying to make skins for theivery, I am brand new to UnrealEd, but I am trying to copy skins from UT and put them in thievery. (I know ur gonna say Mods arent supported.. just humor me, ill worry about the mods)

First problem is, How do I extract the 'blah.u' file? I used the Actor View in UnrealED and did an extract all scripts on bNMod.u. It made some folders and a bNMod folder which contained three files. So i think i did it right. I looked at them in WordPad and saw the code. I added bNMod to the UnrealTournament.ini file in the editor part (where its supposed to go) and used UCC MAKE command and it rebuilt the file just fine.

Then i took the UTMenu.u file and did the same thing. It Made some folders and a UTMenu folder. I moved the orig UTMenu.u file out of the system folder and I added stuff in the UnrealTournament.ini file again and named it UTMenu and used the UCC MAKE command and it errored out. Why?

I also tried it on the ThMenu.u file. But this time it extracted UTMenu.u files. didn't make a folder called ThMenu like i expected.. why? Then I used another program called WOTGreal Exporter that exports .uc files from u files and it exported the files from ThMenu just fine. But WotGreal editor doesn't recognize it as anything just like unrealED. Also.. UCC MAKE didnt work for ThMenu either. It gave this error:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzing...
    Superclass ThieveryTorchFlame of class ThieveryTorchFlameStandard not found

History: UMakeCommandlet::Main

Exiting due to error
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

All i did was export the files and try to rebuild with the make command. why won't it work?

All I wanna do is export and rebuild the .U file from the .uc files. If I export a .u file then I should not have problems rebuilding them, but i am. Any other build programs out there that work better?!

Also as i mentioned earlier, I notice that UnrealED and some other editors don't See ThMenu.U as a Package. Why not? For this reason it seems to just make it UTMenu.u when i try to export it with UnrealED. I want to be able to extract the ThMenu.u package and re-build it.. error free. Whats the prob?
    Last edited by kewlazme; 6th Jan 2003 at 06:44.

ThieveryUT

Why are you trying to rebuild ThMenu.u? It has nothing to do with skins.

You know... Since TUT is a UT mod, all players should have all the UT contents... So you wont need to import anything from Ut, you can just use it directly as it is.

I know the UTMenu.u file has console commands in it. And I found the ThMenu.u is the sister file to UTmenu.u. I'd like to make some sub-routines for changing skins in game since there is no MOD menu in Thievery. I'd also like to make a random skin changer that changes every few seconds when enabled through console. All the same i just wanna know why it comes apart and not back together and isnt seen as a package
    Last edited by kewlazme; 6th Jan 2003 at 13:10.

Ok, you're curious
    Had to do it, sorry.

The reasons you are failing in your recompile are that:
    (a) You lack many of the original source files that make up ThMenu.u
    (b) You don't have UCC set up to recognize the existing packages that ThMenu is dependant on
    (c) You are monkeying with an essential and critical piece of TUT script without proper understanding of it's functions
    (d) Subclass, subclass, subclass
    (e) Thou art a novice in the ancient UnrealScript arts. Thou shalt endeavor to educate thyself in the simpler matters of scripting before attempting to assault the arcane necromancy that is ThMenu.

a) Shouldn't the source files necessary for a build be in the .U file when i export?!
    b) This is true, but it is set up for UT and I can't even get UTMenu.u to rebuild.
    c) I know its function. In my case it is where console commands take place (ThConsole.uc) and Menu screens and what not are held. just like UTMenu.u. So Theoretically, if you rename UTMenu.u to THMenu.u, it should load the UT screen and use UT console commands exactly. However, the game no longer looks for UTConsole, it looks for THConsole. So a Global letter replace UT -> TH is needed first... and some other stuff im sure.
    d) Subclass subclass subclass. You are correct, I don't know what to do about this or what it does. Or if its even needed for what i wanna do.
    e) I am a novice for sure.. I wanted to do one simple thing to the ThConsole script. For example, I'd just like to add one subroutine like Cycle_Taunts. And have my character go through all four taunts by typing in "set_cycle_taunts" at the console window. That shouldn't be too hard to do. So what files or steps do i need? I am trying to learn

ThieveryUT

I would highly discourage you from recompiling ThMenu.u. Even if you had all the source files needed for this, it would make your version of Thievery incompatible with everyone else's, plus when 1.3 comes out with a changed ThMenu.u, you'd have to redo all your work again, or not upgrade to 1.3.

The best thing for you to do is to use a mutator. Mutators have a "mutate" command which takes a string argument and can be used to add new console commands. This is disabled currently, but will be fixed up for 1.3.

It's also worth nothing that no matter what, your mod won't work unless the server and everyone else playing has it installed.
    Project Lead,
    Thievery UT.

If all you wanted to do was send a rotating set of text taunts, you don't even need to be mucking about with the .u file.

There are several tutorials authored by members of this forum that deal with command alias' and how to set them up. I'm sure you could easily find what you need by doing a quick search for info on keybinds and command alias'.

BTW, you need to be an 18th level TechnoMage with +20 DEXTERITY and +40 CASTING to recompile the .u files. Simply put, you need more EXP POINTS, Grasshopper.

Aliases dont allow cycling and waiting times to complete the full taunt. I know how to key bind but thats not what i wanna do. I just wanna know for my own well being how to recompile this file or what files I need to recompile it. just for my own test purposes.
    Last edited by kewlazme; 6th Jan 2003 at 14:12.

Originally posted by kewlazme
    Aliases dont allow cycling and waiting times to complete the full taunt. I know how to key bind but thats not what i wanna do. I just wanna know for my own well being how to recompile this file or what files I need to recompile it. just for my own test purposes.
    It is possible to do a cycle of commands on key aliases. Each alias sets the bound key to a new alias name with each press. It's the basis for the "false toggle" MachDelta mentions in his tutorial on keybinding. There's no reason you couldn't string the toggle out farther than the two he shows as an example.

yes but are there wait times? each taunt takes a few seconds to complete. And I'd also like to set up other subroutines for single player games.

I predict that:
    Kewlazme will soon need his UT cd, the thievery install file and patch...

yes but are there wait times? each taunt takes a few seconds to complete. And I'd also like to set up other subroutines for single player games.
    Why would you need wait times? The text appears in the chat box instantly.

LoL poor laughing rat

TAUNT command.. not SHOUT

Taunt Taunt1
    Taunt Victory1
    Taunt Thrust
    Taunt Wave

those are taunts.. judging by the taunt command. heh

Those are what i want to cycle.

And Bloody Reaper.. i make sure to back everything up before raping it. But i have my copies ready!

TAUNT command.. not SHOUT

Taunt Taunt1
    Taunt Victory1
    Taunt Thrust
    Taunt Wave

those are taunts.. judging by the taunt command. heh

Those are what i want to cycle.
    Then just wait for the first one to finish before pressing the bound key again for the second one.

Lol i know that! but i want to cycle them!! quit givin me a hard time and tell me what i need to know

Lol i know that! but i want to cycle them!! quit givin me a hard time and tell me what i need to know
    Are you saying that you want a whole string of taunts on a single keypress?

Looks that way, perhaps by using MachDelta's keybind guide with the change keybind action modified it would work, but there may be problems with the timing.

Yes.. timing is the prob. finally lol!

I just wanna know how to re-compile UTMenu.U file after i export it. So that I can recreate the exact file again to set a milestone. What files do I need to do it? what steps? why is not working right.

I just wanna know how to re-compile UTMenu.U file after i export it. So that I can recreate the exact file again
    you don't. evenif you don't change anything, simply saving the file makes it different, as dalai said - making it completely incompatible with any version fo thievery out there.

Ill worry about that. But as I said 8 times.. i just wanna be able to:

1. export all files from the UTMenu.u file
    2. CHANGE NOTHING AT ALL!!!! (read twice so you understand)
    3. And Re-compile back to UTMenu.u

Why?

Because thats how I learn stuff! i learn the basics, things that can be done, and then put them into other projects. And since this is the first thing I was trying to do and it didn't work.. i wanna know why it didnt work and how i can make it work!

so please tell me how to EXPORT ALL FILES FROM UTMenu.u
    Remember, Im CHANGING NOTHING! and then
    Re-compiling back to UTMenu.u

Thank you