TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheater Exposed

Cheater Exposed

For several weeks now, a number of the Thievery server admins and several respected members of the community have been observing a player quite closely, on the suspicion that that player might be cheating. We have reached the conclusion that he is.

That player is Frantic.

We have spent hours spectating him and further hours investigating various Unreal Engine cheats. The kind of cheat that Frantic uses is called a "radar hack". This allows the player to see the direction, and sometimes distance, health, armor status, and ammo of all players in the game, and differentiates between friend and foe. It allows him to find even the best hidden thief, and to avoid guards with ease. After these hours upon hours of watching him play, it is evident that this is what he's using. He has used this cheat on nearly every member of the community, including members of his own guild.

We will not disclose the exact methods used to discover this cheat.

What makes this a true tragedy is that Frantic is actually a very skilled player in his own right. It's a shame that he has felt the need to augment his already formidable abilities in this unfair manner.

Participating in this investigation, and willing to state publicly that they are certain that Frantic is cheating are the following people.

Grank
    LaughingRat
    BrokenArts
    Cythe
    LeatherMan
    Mad Gerbil
    mOdEtWo

Agreeing to accept the judgment of these people as accurate, the results as factual, and to ban Frantic from their servers are the following admins:

DarkProject
    Mogwort

A copy of this post has been sent to all the other server admins I have email addresses for. We urge them to protect their reputations for running a clean, fair server, and permanently ban Frantic from their servers as well. His IP is available to server admins upon request.
    Last edited by LaughingRat; 25th Dec 2002 at 15:05.

I can't believes this!
    i won't say anything before someone helps me out my words.
    i can't say anything becaus my english is to bad.
    i will ask someone to help me and then i will proove it is all bullshit.

Add me to the list!

YAY!

<marquee>\o/</marquee>

Get this IP off the board, LaughingRat.

Thank god we have such admins like you people! Finaly frantic is exposed. I knew he had something wierd going on. Some several things .... mostly with shooting me with an tag bolt, one second after he had been hit with an flashbomb in his face :/ ( NOTE, in his face )

I thank you admins alot. You made thievery a better place to play again

( btw, this is a very nice Christmas present )

is a Black Cat!
    Last edited by mOdEtWo; 24th Dec 2002 at 19:44.

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
    Please remove that link . . .
    Aye Aye sir! (I even deleted the post )

do you guys have any proove before you can say i am cheating?
    i am NOT cheating and i will proove it.
    if you give me a subject for what i am did whit using a ''cheat'' tell me.
    maybe i can say how i did it.
    don't insult me of cheating whitout any proove.
    some spectator's is no proove,a Demo would be great.
    i think different then you guys.i have other skills,you guys don't know what my plans are and what i think what the thieves are gonna do.
    i got other tactics(i do not mean any ''ways/routes and stuff'').
    but skills real skills.
    1 tactic is move you'r self into the thieves position.(were should i be if i was a thief?)
    don't ban be on every servers before you got any proove.

Modetwo or any other ppl who have ''spectated'' me,give me some proove.

The bad thing is that in the times I spectated Frantic his gameplay was really good a lot of the time. He really is a good player, but there was just too many "How the hell did he know someone was there?" shots and discoveries. He was almost never on the losing team, guard or thief (in fact, I only remember one game he lost). He rarely ever ran into guards as a thief.

I refused to accept anyone else's accusations as factual. I had to spectate Frantic myself, and I did not take this issue lightly.

Awww, I'd say thats a shocking surprise, but I've talked to other anonymous Thievery players recently, who have been spectating Frantic & they reached the same conclusion.

Official sources say: Cheat

Unofficial sources say: Cheat
    (or a few said that maybe Frantic is somekind of cyborg that receives TUT transmissions directly to his brain & so has no need of inferior connections/hardware)

Overall opinion: Cheat

I don't want to sound harsh or anything but I'm glad that this has been uncovered because now I don't appear to suck at Thievery after all, I just picked the wrong person to compare my game-skill to.

Right, there is so much that I could say but I'm tryin to avoid diving deep into a fully fledged flame, so I'll stick at the above.

IT IS NOT TRUE!
    PROOVE???!!!

What do you want? if you play from 8 days after Thievery came out,play every day atleast 5 hours. what skill do you want then?
    i think you would have a great SKILL.
    no ego's here but this is some ''proove'' that i am not a ''cheater''.
    why should i cheat when i am good enough whitout?

Originally posted by -Frantic-
    why should i cheat when i am good enough whitout?
    I and alot of other people asked the same question, last time you where caught cheating.

Becides, i have seen people play alot ... and also from the beginning ..... but they are still not too well skilled. Sorry frantic, but only because you played form the beginning doesn't say anything about your skill.

it does.
    i play every day, i practise ALOT.
    last days i played 12 hours after eachother.
    it does say something about skill.

Then you keep believing that. We are going a bit offtopic though.
    Aslong as i know my truth , and you know yours ... we all are happy .

Originally posted by -Frantic-
    IT IS NOT TRUE!
    PROOVE???!!!
    Tell me why you have been able to shoot me dead several times with multiple shots from a crossbow without missing even once?

I could believe that such an act was possible, but other people I've talked to said they had the same experience.

Aim?
    you can practise on aim remember?
    go only bow in games then you'r getting a better aim and you'r ready to kill a thief whit a bow only.
    so that's why i almost never miss whit a crossbow

Well, here's how I feel on this issue. Frantic could be really good as he practices all of the time. Literally he is online more than any other TUT player. But , if he really is cheating then something should be done about it.

If you have proof that he was cheating, then by all means ban him. But there aren't that many TUT servers and banning him from almost all of them is very harsh. (I'd be very upset if I had been unjustly persecuted.)

So LaughingRat, I'd like to see proof that Frantic was indeed cheating. Because what you are doing is an insult to both Frantic and the Legend clan. I think if your going to ban him and publicly humiliate him, you OWE him and the rest of TTLG the evidence for this accusation.
    Last edited by Biohazard; 24th Dec 2002 at 21:54.

B745, it is not our intent to insult Legend. We deliberately left the guild's name out of it because we believe this is an issue with Frantic, and not with Legend.

As I said, our precise methods will not be revealed, or they will not be effective against similar cheaters in the future. Please believe that NONE of us undertook this lightly, that it pains every one of us to have come to this conclusion, and that we spent many hours each, spectating, investigating, and deliberating on whether this was the case, and if so, how to handle it. Many of the people involved, because of the seriousness of the charge, refused to agree to placing their name on this post, AT FIRST. However, every one of us who spent time watching and testing Frantic came to the same conclusion.

i still don't got any evidence?
    and i know that you'r lying...but you don't know it yet.
    you'r gotta look better LR this are real skills no cheats..
    if you spend so much time on it.
    to bad for you the wrong thing came out.

and for me 2 ofcourse
    how can i proove i am not cheating?

I like to stay out of these things, but I think you owe Frantic a PERSONAL message. I believe you should send Frantic a private message detailing all the proof you have against him. Frantic should know what you have on him. I think he deserves that much atleast. This way, the community doesn't have to see the proof, but atleast Frantic will see the proof, and than he can feel better. I think you owe this to him, and to yourselves.

I want you to understand that I am NOT flaming you LR, but I have a problem with how you are handling this situation. It appears to me that you are complaining because Frantic is very good. You believe he is a little too good. Well, it looks to me like you're whining that you lose to Frantic. Without proof, these accusations are just whinings and complaints. (Please understand that I'm not calling you a whiner, but it appears that way from this thread.)

My other problem with how you handled this is making it public. You have posted a CHEATING ACCUSATION on a PUBLIC forum. I mean the title of the thread is "Cheater Exposed". As far as I'm concerned if you're going to go public with the accusation, you have to go public with the proof. Otherwise, you're just whining.

Those are all fair comments to make, except the one about losing to Frantic. I don't lose to Frantic, because I don't play with him. I've believed for too long that he's cheating to want to. And I run a server where he's banned for cheating, having ADMITTED it.

I can fully understand why it might seem like whining and complaining. However, if you note the list of people involved, NONE of them have a reputation for whining. And they're all respected and skilled members of the community, including one member of the dev team. Every one of us knew we were staking our own reputations on this.

Yes, we've posted on a PUBLIC forum about this. We (I must stress that this is WE here, and not just me - I was merely the one chosen to make the announcement) felt it would be better to make it publicly known why such a visible player was suddenly banned from four major servers, and avoid the whipsers of conspiracy, and accusations of him being banned simply because he's better than we are. We know he's better than we are. That's not the issue.

I've emailed the other people involved in this. With their approval, I'll either post the results of some of the many hours (probably not, this issue has taken 6 threads and over 110 posts from our group in the Thievery Server Admin's forum over a period of three weeks) or prepare a document with the results of the tests and observation and post a link so that anyone can download and read it.

I'm just waiting to hear back from them. It might be a day or two.

Producing evidence should suffice. But I don't want to hear the evidence is an assumption you're making from just watching him.

That said, I'm going to research the issue tonight. I am familiar with running cheat tests in ladder gameplay in other games. Perhaps there is a definite way of testing Frantic for cheats like other games. In the meantime please work on posting the evidence you have gathered thusfar.

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast