TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: "The Mystery Man" FAQ

"The Mystery Man" FAQ

One of my favorite FM's, "The Mystery Man" generates more questions than just about any other FM I can think of. So in the interest of general forum sanity here are some answers to the more common questions I can think of.

There are some minor changes and fewer goals for the other two difficulty levels. Refer to the bottom of the post first if you have a question about Taffer/Normal or Rogue/Hard.

Some questions have more than one spoiler tag. I'm trying to give away info in small chunks so peel them away one at a time for smaller hints.

GARRETT/EXPERT

1) Where is the Treasury key?
    spoiler:
    An unfortunate soul named Lan has it on his person...umm err corpse. You will find him behind a banner in upstairs servants quarters.
    spoiler:
    Find the carpeted hallway with red walls just before the "don't go past this point" sign.

2) I've read I need the upper floor key to get into Talbot's Room. Where is it? You need to find Mortimer. There are two ways of going about this, easiest is.
    spoiler:
    Find a small sitting room upstairs with an attached bathroom. Creep into the fireplace and find the switch up the flue. You can do this w/o putting the fire out but a water arrow can be handy here. This will open a secret door in the back of the fire place. Find your way along this route and you'll find Mortimer.

3) I can't find the Master Key please help I desperate and pulling out my hair!
    spoiler:
    The Master Key is in Talbot's room.
    spoiler:
    Look for a lever in the corner by the armoir.

4) I pulled a lever that opened a bookshelf but I can't get through the metal door on the other side.
    spoiler:
    you need the Master Key

5) There's a double door by the swimming pool that won't open. How do I get through?
    spoiler:
    You need to just about finish the mission before you will be able to proceed.
    spoiler:
    You need the western tower key. You will find it beyond the "don't go past this point" sign.
    spoiler:
    After getting to this point it will become obvious that you need to find the four elemental talismans to proceed.

6) There's a gold vase that I can't pick up, what gives?
    spoiler:
    The vase is a switch that uses a special "key".
    spoiler:
    The key is a Crystal Shard
    spoiler:
    The Crystal Shard is in Alexei's room

7) I think I need to find Alexei's Gold dinner plate. Where is it?
    spoiler:
    It's in his room in the locked chest.
    spoiler:
    You'll need the Master Key.

8) I can't find the information regarding the attempt on my life, where is it?
    spoiler:
    Alexei's room
    spoiler:
    frob the skeleton

9) I can't find Hector's fire poker.
    spoiler:
    It's in his room beyond the secret bookcase and subsequent locked door.
    spoiler:
    You'll need the Master Key first.

10) I can't seem to find information on the missing nobles, HELP!
    spoiler:
    It's beyond a secret door in a fire place. Find the small sitting room with an attached bathroom.

11) I can't find the Fire Talisman.
    spoiler:
    just outside the dining room and to your right will be a lone guard in front of a door. That's the room your're looking for.
    spoiler:
    Inside that room is a frobable book.
    spoiler:
    Put the book on the table.

12) I can't find the Water Talisman.
    spoiler:
    You need Alexei's dinner plate
    spoiler:
    Dunk plate in kitchen sink
    spoiler:
    go back into dining room and follow your nose.

13) I can't find the Earth Talisman.
    spoiler:
    It's locked up in Hector's room. See #9

14) I can't find Nina's Heart.
    spoiler:
    see #11

15) I can't find the Crystal Septer.
    spoiler:
    see #12

16) I've found the 4 Talismans and used them. What next?
    spoiler:
    go into the room and read the book and slash the banner.

17) Where is the rest of the loot?
    spoiler:
    If you find it all let us all know!! It's pretty easy to find about 11,000 or so...have fun looking everywhere else for the rest you taffer. Nightwalker informed me that 1,600 can't be found. I guess certain items are considered treasure by DromEd but they can't be picked up. (like the vase switches and the masks in the fountain. That still leaves about 3000 well hidden. I think my best was about 12,500.

18) The Mystery Man keeps kicking my butt. How do I kill this guy?
    spoiler:
    The best way (well my best way) is to avoid him until he calms down a bit and starts to stand still....then sneek sneek sneek backstab and just keep wailing on him.
    Well that's all well and good but just how do you do that?
    spoiler:
    Gulp a speed potion...(you do have one left don't you?) then read the book. Exit from the book and run like the wind and hide. Wait paiently for a minute or two and then make your sneeky move.

19) I can't seem to find info on the Mystery Man. Where is it.
    spoiler:
    You will have to complete most of the mission before you discover this.
    spoiler:
    You first have to find the 4 Talismans. It's hard to miss after you do that and use the Talismans.

20) OK there's this big grey thing that I can't get past. A tiny hint please!

spoiler:
    you probably picked up something of intrest when you first entered the tower.

spoiler:
    put out the torches in that room

21) The room with a bookcase up the ramp from the dungeon. I'm stuck and can't get through.
    spoiler:
    Frob the painting
    spoiler:
    Pick lock exposed on other wall.
    spoiler:
    you have to hop on the table, which can be a bit tricky.

What follows are some answers for TAFFER /NORMAL difficulty. Many things are the same on all difficulty levels but here are a few differences.

1) Where is Alexei's Gold Plate?
    spoiler:
    It's in the dining room off the kitchen. You might have missed out on the fact that you picked it up in the rush to grab all the other goodies off the table!

2) What do I do with the plate?
    spoiler:
    see spoiler tag #2 in question #12 above

3) Where is the Crystal Shard?
    spoiler:
    In a bedroom at the mansion's east end.
    spoiler:
    Rope up to the open outside window above the shed near the fountain.
    OK I'm there and I still don't see it!
    spoiler:
    Look behind the tub.

4) Where is Nina's Heart?
    spoiler:
    In a room off the small library with the black and white tile floor.
    spoiler:
    You'll need the Treasury Key

5) Where's the Fire Talisman?
    spoiler:
    it's at the end of the hallway where you use the Talismans
    spoiler:
    you need the Master Key first

What follows is for ROGUE/HARD difficulty.

1) Where's the Crystal Shard?
    spoiler:
    see GARRETT difficulty, #6, spoiler tag #3

2) Where's Nina's Heart?
    spoiler:
    see TAFFER difficulty, #4

3) Where's Alexei's Gold Plate?
    spoiler:
    see GARRETT difficulty, #7

4) Where's The Fire Talisman?
    spoiler:
    see TAFFER difficulty #5
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 14th Apr 2013 at 17:15. Reason: fixed spoiler cover

Thanks SlyFoxx Much appreciated. Dunno if I agree with MM generating more questions then most FMs but it seems like lately there have been lots of MM posts.

Some more answers:

---------------------------------------------------------------

1) Help!! I can't find [insert object here] even after looking everywhere in the spot that it's supposed to appear in!
    spoiler:
    Check your inventory, hehe

2) Where is the remaining loot?
    spoiler:
    I screwed up by accidently leaving a loot value on the four masks on the fountain. They are worth 400 each but since you can't pick them up, the total loot you can get is 1600 short of the indicated maximum.

Add to FAQ: 12a) I can't find the Air Talisman ?

I'm stumped! It looks as though everyone else had no problems in laying their hands on the Air Talisman. However I had little problem getting the Water, Fire, and Earth. It's the Air that eludes me! Any help?

Danke,

"Insane" Husayn

I believe it's
    spoiler:
    found in a chest in a room that unlocks with the Treasury key. The door to this room is off of the back foyer.

Thanks! That was it. I had assummed that

spoiler:
    as the door had no external knob and didn't respond to a series of keys and both lockpicks that it would open from the other side at the appropriate time.

I've now completed the mission.

"Insane" Husayn

sorry to bring up an old thread...but where exactly is Hector's room? The mission is so big I can't keep track of every hidden bookcase switch thingies. This is a great mission for T1 btws

EDIT: if the bookcase was the one in the library...how do you open THAT door? Whacking doesnt help...

EDIT:.....and i find out where it is after post...trying to get out now...

EDIT:....and i found out how to get out...I should start posting about my problems...as they seem to solve itself right after posting...
    Last edited by Lawviz; 12th May 2008 at 22:03.

If it didn't generate questions, you'd have to call it the The Answer Man.

i cannot find the fire talisman. i'm inside this litte library , but there is no frobbale book. there is only a gap, which looks like, that there is missing a book.

What difficulty are you playing on? Sounds like your playing on Taffer or Rogue as that hole in the bookcase is where you find a special book when playing on Garrett.

On Taffer & Rogue you'll find it close by to the Ward room (where you place the Fire Talisman)

Outright Spoiler: It's in the brazier in the room next to the Ward room.

yeah fire talisman is done. but where is Hector's room to get teh earth talisman? cannot find his room on the map

I think Hector's room is a secret area inside another secret area:

#1: West of the library, there is a small office with a painting of a skull. The book "List of Debts" lies on the table beneath it. Turn around and flip the switch on the lower left of the entrance. This opens a secret area behind a bookshelf on the Northern wall of the library.

#2: In the secret area, you will find a throne room. Look behind the throne: The hidden lock requires the Master's Key. Unlocking it opens the bookshelf in the corridor leading to the throne room. Behind this bookshelf is what I assume to be Hector's room. There is a note from Alexei to Hector on the table.

#3: In the Eastern wall of Hector's room is a locked safe. You can open it by flipping a hidden switch behind the altar on the Southern wall.