TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-order story

Pre-order story

I went to Gamestop yesterday and said I wanted to preorder Thief 3. The guy at the register said "You know it's a remake of the first one, right?" as if he wanted to discourage me from buying it. I had to convince him he was misinformed. Has anyone else encountered anything like this? How's the game supposed to sell well if people in the game stores don't even know what it is?

Register monkeys at software stores

I've had very similar experiences with the Software etc./Babbages/etc. "staff."

A few months ago I went to get the new Fallout game (for xbox, shhhh) from Software etc. I asked the clerk if they had it (as I new it had been released that month) and he said "Oh yeah, it came out about two years ago (referring to Tactics). I said, no, I'm looking for the New Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel game, and he tells me he's a big fan of the Fallout series and insisted Tactics was the last game made, and nearly knocked me over with his "I'm an elitist nerd and I'm right" aroma/attitude. I then walked over to the wall o' games and found the game (I never should have asked in the first place). He said "Oh..." and checked me out.

A long time ago I asked an Electronics Boutique monkey if they had 'OutCast 2.' He informed me it was called "Flashback" and they have it right 'here' (picking up the old SNES game 'Flashback.') I told him its not in any way related to Flashback and explained the premise of the game. He pretended to listen and then as soon as I was done he said "Yeah, yeah, its Flashback, this is it." I told him I've played Flashback and that this game was new (at the time). He rebuttled with "Its been out for a while, its called Flashback!" and proceeded to roll his eyes and give his coworker a stare as if I was the most idiotic customer ever. I left and never returned.

PS: Just for everyone's information, ironically 'Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel' is one of the worst games I've ever played. I returned it a week later.

There's something new, a retail person without a clue. Don't get your expectations up with store clerks, then you won't be disappointed.

And returning games is just a concept I don't get, and I see people make reference to it all the time. I've never returned a game in my life. Wouldn't it have to be defective or something? You can't actually open a game, play it, decide you don't like it, and return it, can you? That just seems so wrong, mainly because they can't resell it as returned.

The way I see it, you read some reviews, you check out some web sites, you hear some rumors, and then you buy a game and live with it. You shouldn't return it just because you don't like it.
    Last edited by Brethren; 13th May 2004 at 12:46.
    Get all recent FMs at www.southquarter.com/fms

There's something new, a retail person without a clue.
    I love the blatently obvious sarcasm!

Still Subjective
    Man, if they ever come out with that bs I give them hell. PCWorld (UK) are the worst. I always overhear some total rubbish being spouted and money going into a pit of less than optimum hardware. But the English never really like to listen. My colleage wanted some advice on a new PC - I gave it. He went and bought an overpriced Celeron (2weeks ago) from PCWorld.

You should be able to return a game if it is rubbish imo.

Hehe, just yesterday I had a (fairly reasonable) telephone support guy from PC World BEG me not to go into one of the stores. A fair enough point, I thought, since every time I do go in I feel a strong compulsion to throw things at them.

Originally posted by Subjective Effect
    You should be able to return a game if it is rubbish imo.
    You'd have to define "rubbish." I agree with the point that if by rubbish, you mean a poor game technicaly, one that says a game with run with certain minimum reqs listed on the box and it really doesn't, or a game that just has way too many bugs to make it playable.

However, if someone just doesn't think the game is fun, or it doesn't quite live up to their expectations, or maybe real-time strategies just aren't your cup of tea, or you hate the design, or don't like the color scheme, or it doesn't have as many levels as you'd hoped for, etc etc....then, no way. You bought it, live with it.

The way I see it, you read some reviews, you check out some web sites, you hear some rumors, and then you buy a game and live with it. You shouldn't return it just because you don't like it.
    Wrong. If games are terrible, you return them. You went through the pain of buying it, and you have to go through the bothersome act of returning them. There is no reason to keep a product that blows. Products have no feelings, so shouldn't automatically deserve any respect. Especially if they are sold by tricking you into buying them by riding the coat tails of an excellent game/name (I hope that sentence wasn't foreshadowing of things to come), which a lot of them are.

Similarly, if I could 'return' my act of watching the train wreck that was Van Helsing, I would. I guess I could've asked for my money back, but I didn't. I should have tried though. They sold a movie that should've been sent straight to video on Hugh Jackman and the use of an intriguing character from books and movies past.

Now that said, its easier to read reviews on stuff then buying them and finding out, I agree. But even if you don't do the research first about a game or the research turned up nothing useful that doesn't mean all should be lost. (Plus a lot of tards really seemed to enjoy Van Helsing for example, so you can't trust a lot of reviews.)

The only way game developers will learn is if you return the games you buy after finding out how bad they are (and then tell other people not to buy them) so they don't make any money off of them. In fact, I submit that if you keep games that suck you are doing a disservice to the gaming community as a whole.

Whether a game sucks often depends on your opinion. You said yourself, some people liked Van Helsing. Same could easily happen with a game. Some people love the Myst style game, and some people hate them with a passion. You should know going in that you're buying Myst, and not Quake III, or Super Mario.

You take your chances with any purchase. If you've done your homework, your chances of satisfaction will be higher. If something unforseen happens, like the projector conking out halfway through a movie, or a bug in a game that makes it unplayable, that's different...

You: So, this is a remake of Thief 1?

Clerk: Umm...Yeah!

You: So, I start off in Bafford's right?

Clerk: Yeah...Bafford's...that's right...

You: And I forget...is the bow upgrade in Bonehoard or Cragscleft?

Clerk: ?

You: You never played Thief 1 did you?

Clerk: Just give me your $10 for your pre-order.

The guys at my local gaming store ask me what's coming up for release! It's embarassing and a little flattering, you walk in and bloody staff will ask you about some upcoming game then every customer in the store wants your opinion on hardware, software etc..

Me: "So you guys got many orders for Thief: Deadly Shadows?"
    Them: "What? The X-Box game"
    Me: "The PC/XBOX game, 3rd in the classic series, defined the stealth genre brough story telling back as an artform and not a marketing ploy??"
    Them: "No when's it out?"
    Me: "Soon"
    (thinking in my head me): "I kill you now mudda bia-tch!"

What's the point of walking into a specailty store and nowing far more than the staff who sell the stuff? Nowdays if i walk into a hardware store and the clerk can't tell me about CAS latency then i don't buy from 'em pure and simple.

Though it is fun walking up to someone taking a game box out of thier hands and saying "I just saved your life" never touch that game again, you'll tahnk me when you're older". Usually while ripping a copy of CTU Marine Sharpshooter or some such game out of someones hands.

Edit: too tired to fix spelling errors.

I don't know for sure, but like Newsagents with magazines and supermarkets with some stock I don't think game retailers buy the games outright. It's somewhere between buying the game and the publisher/distributor renting the shelf space. Particularly with big name publications
    Return one and it just gets sent back to the publisher (same with unsold stuff) as a bad review. But it varies

You are giving inanimate objects too much credit...

QUOTE]Whether a game sucks often depends on your opinion. You said yourself, some people liked Van Helsing. Same could easily happen with a game. Some people love the Myst style game, and some people hate them with a passion. You should know going in that you're buying Myst, and not Quake III, or Super Mario.[/QUOTE]

Bad games (and movies) get released with good reviews for reasons other than quality, and its not your job as a consumer to eat it no matter what (pun intended).

Someone who buys Myst because it says on the box "The Greatest Adventure Game Ever Made! -Gamespot" and finds out its just a click-factory slideshow game, they shouldn't have to keep the game just because they think of "adventure" as something different than Gamespot. If enough people enjoy slideshow "adventure" then they will keep the game, and the guy who didn't like it returning it won't make a difference in the production of Myst games.

If, however, a game is made and heavily advertised that sucks, let's randomly name this game "Tome Reader." Let's say someone buys this game because they see "Fantastic Action! -GamePro" on it. Upon playing it they immediately find out that its really terrible (in their opinion -- which is the only one they need to stay loyal to) but they keep it out of some strange loyalty to 'products and industry.' That will spawn sequels of 'Tome Reader', or worse, other games like 'Tome Reader.' These games will then lure other buyers who think "Wow, they made Tome Reader 3? If there are that many people playing it it has to be good!" (this actually happened to me with Turok)

I agree that buggy games (Ultima 9) should be returned immediately (of course), but I go farther to say any game you don't like its your responsibility to return. If the game really is the greatest game ever then it won't matter if one strange soul returns it. However, if the game really stinks and everyone returns it then the advertisers who trick people into buying games like this won't make a profit, and reviewers will have to start actually being held accountable for their reviews if they want to make money.

In my opinion the most common reasons people don't return bad games are because they're lazy or they don't value the money they spent (usually because they get it from another source -- such as parents). With enough gumption you can get places that say they don't take back open games (or any other product, for that matter) to take them back. Usually you have to resort to letters and possibly legal buzzwords to a supervisor, but once you get the hang of it you never have to keep bad products you buy.

Inadvertantly at the same time you become more responsible in selecting games (doing your research) because sometimes it is a real pain in the ass to return them (so you make fewer spontaneous purchases).

Long posts are really annoying. I apologize to everyone who doesn't care about the inner meta-meaning of returning bad games.

Back to case in point --> Strategy-guide pushing register-monkeys stink.

Originally posted by valhallan
    Similarly, if I could 'return' my act of watching the train wreck that was Van Helsing, I would. I guess I could've asked for my money back, but I didn't. I should have tried though. They sold a movie that should've been sent straight to video on Hugh Jackman and the use of an intriguing character from books and movies past.
    Your shitty opinions aside, no, no you shouldn't have. You paid for a seat in a theater, you took up their space and watched their movie (not actually their movie, a movie they show in their theater and are not responsible for the content of). Whether you liked it or not doesn't matter, you got what you paid for: 2 hours and 25 minutes of pure awesome rolling on a silver screen - I might've inserted my own opinion in there. As you nearly said, you can't get your money back unless you return the merchandise - or in the event of a movie (and in my opinion, a game), the experience. It's like demanding your money back for a Playstation 2 but without giving the PS2 back to them, which could actually be considered robbery.

I got distracted here, I was actually going to talk about the fuckwits at these stores.

I've been to Software Etc./Babbages/Gamestop and EBGames as well as a few other local gaming specialty stores. The worst are the "New and Used/Trade in" stores, but the staff is equally stupid or disrespectful in all of them, a mystery that will puzzle me until the end of time.

Most of the people working at these places don't actually play games, at least around here - they pick up little snippets they hear from other kids talking in the store and then decide this makes them an expert. I listened to an employee describe 'Morrowind' as the most bloody, action-oriented shooter on the market for 20 minutes before I realized he was actually talking about Soldier of Fortune (but he recognized neither that title or its box). Then, entirely without provocation, he called me a "fucking douche bag" as I headed out of the store. Good times, good times.

EDIT:
    Usually you have to resort to letters and possibly legal buzzwords to a supervisor, but once you get the hang of it you never have to keep bad products you buy.
    You are either an American or an American in training. Either way, that sentence has made me decide I hate you and everything you stand for. And your hat.

NightHawk2K2
    I think it depends on the store, but when you buy a new console game from Gamestop, you can trade it in for another one. I've never done console games, so I don't know the details. PC games, however, are a different story. Once you open it, it's yours for life. No trade-ins whatsoever. Maybe a little store credit, but you'll be lucky to get $15 worth for a game you spent $50 or more on.

It's like demanding your money back for a Playstation 2 but without giving the PS2 back to them, which could actually be considered robbery.
    Considered robbery, huh? Or could it be considered savvy business skills (ala Trump)? I think you're blowing it far out of proportion.

So you're a moderator, eh? I didn't realize we could cuss on these boards. Fuck yeah!

And did you say Van Helsing was "pure awesome"?! Wow.

I listened to an employee describe 'Morrowind' as the most bloody, action-oriented shooter on the market for 20 minutes before I realized he was actually talking about Soldier of Fortune (but he recognized neither that title or its box). Then, entirely without provocation, he called me a "fucking douche bag" as I headed out of the store. Good times, good times.
    If this is actually true, you should've gotten him fired. Letting him stay an employee at that business ruins it for everybody.

PS: I can tell by your tone and thoughtful dialogue I can see that you and I are clearly not kindred spirits. Country-of-origin notwithstanding.
    Last edited by valhallan; 13th May 2004 at 16:04.

NightHawk2K2
    If there were a way people could "buy" a PS2, keep it and then get a full refund for it, Sony would be giving out PS2s left and right. But if you're talking about going through the trouble of writing a letter for a game you don't like, maybe you haven't found the right game yet. I spent $20 on a game called, "Universal Combat" because there is an element of "FPS" in the game. The manual is 96 pages long and I am sorry I spent my $20 on it. That was my decision (albeit a bad one) and I found out after I got home that there is a demo I could have downloaded and played for free. Knowing that I could not trade it it for another game because it is a PC title, it was a foolish thing for me to do, but I learned my lesson: do your homework before you buy.

(Of course, no one can download a Thief III demo right now, and I've already paid full price for it in advance, so I guess I have not yet learned my lesson.)

Originally posted by Avalon
    Your shitty opinions aside, no, no you shouldn't have. You paid for a seat in a theater, you took up their space and watched their movie (not actually their movie, a movie they show in their theater and are not responsible for the content of). Whether you liked it or not doesn't matter, you got what you paid for: 2 hours and 25 minutes of pure awesome rolling on a silver screen - I might've inserted my own opinion in there. As you nearly said, you can't get your money back unless you return the merchandise - or in the event of a movie (and in my opinion, a game), the experience. It's like demanding your money back for a Playstation 2 but without giving the PS2 back to them, which could actually be considered robbery.
    Australian cinema chains have a refund policy wherby you can watch the <i>entire</i> film and can demand a refund if you are not satisfied with what you saw.
    They're selling a pleasurable experience not mere attendance.
    I imagine this is true elsewhere.
    (I find this attitude rather curious. These days of convoluted media and IP thought seem to have given rise to a desire for the optic and auditory nerves to be metered like a broadband connection so people can't get stuff they aren't supposed to have simply by living)

Dude, that store should be called Avalon's games after the way that guy talked to you. If someone did that to me, I would get even.

Originally posted by Avalon
    You are either an American or an American in training. Either way, that sentence has made me decide I hate you and everything you stand for. And your hat.
    Maybe it's because I'm anAmerican, but I fail to see what is so offensive about his statement which you quoted.

Then I see the comment about the hat, and think you might be kidding. Or maybe not. What country are you from, btw? That might clear things up.

I also think it's odd that mod would tell someone they have a "shitty" opinion. I'm not offended, I just think it's strange.

Originally posted by Risquit
    Dude, that store should be called Avalon's games after the way that guy talked to you. If someone did that to me, I would get even.
    why the mans working his existance in a fucking games store. nothing and i mean nothing is lower than being a register retard.... well apart from being a games developer. whoops, did i say that out loud.

when you go in these stores understand that when these poor saps leave they go back home(usually to their parents), trying desperatly to find more things to piss away time.

thw whole arrogance bollocks that they have is them trying to convince themselves that their not worthless scum on the anus of mankind, notice the same things with comic book store owners.

Re: You are giving inanimate objects too much credit...

Originally posted by valhallan
    Someone who buys Myst because it says on the box "The Greatest Adventure Game Ever Made! -Gamespot" and finds out its just a click-factory slideshow game, they shouldn't have to keep the game just because they think of "adventure" as something different than Gamespot. If enough people enjoy slideshow "adventure" then they will keep the game, and the guy who didn't like it returning it won't make a difference in the production of Myst games.
    I agree!!! And if you go to see a movie or a baseball game and it sucks, they should give you your money back too!!

In fact I just bought a pair of shoes a month ago and I wore them to this club last night and they're entirely the wrong color for me. It's ok if I take them back right?

It's awesome that CD shops let you take those back as well after you've listened to them and decided that they suck. What a great country.

Jason

My "game boys" (as I like to refer to them) are at E/B ........these 2 guys are great! They know when everything is coming out.....they're total PC game freaks.....and best of all....they are TOTAL Thief freaks!!.....(I got lucky....they took a liking to me when they realized I was as fanatical as they are about Thief and they let me basically "rent" games......I pay for the game....if I don't like it...I return it....get my bones back ....and buy another).....we've been running this scam for a couple of years now........if their boss finds out the jig will indeed be up........so we're veeeery sneaksie about it......
    My "game boys"....I think I'll keep 'em.

I'm amazed at the lenght of some of your (everyones) posts. Do any of you remember the start of this topic, or just the crusade of "i'm right and rightous" that some of you seem to be on? .... ah, but don't let me interrupt. this is great enjoyment.... but do try to keep the posts a little shorter please... they do tend to just drag on and on. ok, nuff said. i am returning to the shadows to watch this twisted game play out.

oh yes, i forgot to drop my opinion into the dark well..... should i make a wish first? ........
    . ok.......
    first, who the hell lets you return CDs or games anymore?
    second, yes, sales people at gaming stores do tend to grow from the bottom of the barrell.
    third, while it would be nice to return everything you don't like, it is not practicle.
    forth, VanHelsing was a pretty good and entertaining movie. if you didn't like it, then you must not have realized it was from the same people who did the Mummy movies.

.... and if i scared anyone with my posts, just try to keep in mind that i just got off from work after a 16 hour day. ugh.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast