TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NO MORE FREE FM CDs!!!

NO MORE FREE FM CDs!!!

Check this thread. Then check Komag's site:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN 2 WEEKS THERE WILL NO MORE FMCDs!!! - (but I'll still do the FMDVDs, at least for a while).

I've decided the FMCDs are too much of a bother since there are 5 of them, with the need soon to go to 6, which is rediculous.

So for the next two weeks, if you want to nab one last set of FMCDs before they're gone forever, the old methods of sending me all the materials and postage will still work, and with the donation method you can just click below to donate $25 and I'll take care of everything and send you out a full set of all 5 FMCDs.

LEGAL CONCERNS - I've received notice that some FM authors have "legal" concerns, but consider File Planet. You can order files from them on a CD for $10. That's part of their business to make real profits, selling CDs for $10 which contain illegal-to-sell files. They don't even offer the option of sending them all the materials to truly get the files for free. But they DO offer the files free for download (if you wait in line FOREVER), which is why they're legally safe.

Since there is a clear way to get the files for free, it's obvious the $10 fee for the CD is not to pay for the files, but to pay for the service of having a CD burned and delivered to you. They could charge you $40 per CD and they'd still be legally untouchable.

I, like File Planet, offer the files free for download, BUT I ALSO give you the option of sending me all the materials and I'll do it out of my own time for FREE, AND ALSO if you still want to just "buy" one you can donate and I only use the money for the website, NOT to make a flat out business profit like File Planet.

And do you see File Planet getting sued left and right? Do you see FM authors having their missions removed from File Planet because they are being SOLD for PROFIT, even missions with the disclaimer "may not be contained in any map pack"? No, because their legal position is undeniable, clear cut and 100% safe, and MY LEGAL POSITION IS EVEN BETTER THAN THEIRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(/Komag Rant)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, no!

First Jason, now Komag... Another sad news!

Thank you, Komag, for everything you did for this community! I hope you will not let anyone discourage you again... We all owe you a great deal. Thanks to your kindness, we were able to play all FMs and build many new ones...

Thank you!
    Last edited by bukary; 22nd Jun 2003 at 17:46.
    Cartographer's Note FM: in production.
    Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

That's sad news indeed, but I can understand Komag.
    We've been lucky to have that guy here in TTLG for such a long time, I hope that he never leaves. So, thank you Komag for your contribution for the whole Thief community, and if you ever need any help with something and you think that I could help you somehow, just drop me a message!

Previously Important
    I suppose my post that I am currently trying to get the info from FilePlanet as to how they manage to do it without worry was overlooked in all the shouting.

BANNED
    Legal concerns??? It was made with no cost, was put on the internet for no cost, downloaded at no cost (to him and the downloader). So what legal concerns could you have?

Here's what wasn't overlooked

Ben, I'll have to ask you to please remove "Benny's Dead" from the CDs, as it's pretty clear to me that you've been turning a substantial profit from the distribution of FMs.

"A gift for donating" is just wordplay.
    Are you worried about him doing it without worries, or him "making a substantial profit"?
    Nice. Really nice. All of you. No more FM CD's. Now that will really advance the promotion of Thief FM's.
    I am still trying to figure out how he made "a substantial profit" by sending me back my own blank CD's with all the FM's burned on them at no cost whatsoever.
    Last edited by uncadonego; 22nd Jun 2003 at 20:01.

Taking a break
    I'm sorry to hear about this....
    Gives Komag a hug

If everyone checks the 'Hey Azal' thread in Thief General Discussion, you'll see what the
    debate was, I personally think it's crap and Komag wasnt doing
    anything wrong.

Previously Important
    There has never been anything wrong with receiving blank media and postage, burning CDs, and returning the media. Beats me why everyone has to go all Drama Queen.

Ask me, the obvious solution would have been "send CDs and postage and they will be returned with FMs on, and over here is a link you can use to donate... The two are not connected: You can donate, but you'll still have to send blank discs and stamps if you want FMs"

I missed the 'debate' about Komag but from what I've seen in the time I've spent here is that Komag has given soo much to this community and should be given a bit of respect. Nice one mate

You could have sent him an e-mail or a PM instead of accusing him of profiteering on a public forum. That was my point. Way less drama that way all around. All of the authors who didn't like it could have done that.

...here comes the flood.

no matter the opinions on this on whos right and whos wrong, theres at least one thing everyone on BOTH sides can agree on: Komag is a better person than most of us to put up with this so mildly.
    if it had been me, i woulda exploded, deleted the FM's by those authors from the CDs and my website. then plot revenge upon the heretics.

thusly, Komag is a man of highest stature and therefore i commend you Komag for all youve done for thief and for how you handle situations.

Komag is a god.

Komag has provided a wonderful service for those people who have slow internet connections and I hate to see it go away because of nitpicking. He always made it VERY clear on his site that the donations were in no way payment for the CDs, so why all the fuss? I'm very sorry to see that he has decided to abandon this and the Thief community will be the poorer for it.

BANNED

Just another instance of capitalism and the sickness it fosters

CD burners wear out. CD burning is a pain in the ass. Organizing the process is also a pita, though maybe a labor of love too...

A simple remuneration is what might be expected. A voluntary donation is the least he could ask for.

I have just read the entire "hey Azal" thread (referenced above), and I am bummed. It is a real shame that a bunch of self-styled forum lawyers, together with an alleged (and I hope imaginary) bogeyman from Eidos, can create such paranoia. Regardless of the legal truth, if there is such a thing, it is a travesty. Komag and the Thief Fan Community have been damaged by this nonsense, and nobody has gained anything.

I agree with Nightwalker that Komag has made it quite clear that the FM CD's are free if you send materials, but you can also get them as a bonus with a donation. It's your free choice. There is nothing wrong with that in my book, regardless of what the legal pundits say.

Komag, you are a saint among Thief Fans. I hope you can keep up the good work. Your contributions to the community are well appreciated by most of us.

True that this could have been handled much better..but it wasn't just nitpicking.

Fact: By linking getting cd's with donating komag was putting mission authors in a potentially very awkward situation. (And they were linked, since you had to 'donate' a certain amount to get one).
    Remember, creating a fm is infinitely more work and hassle than burning and mailing a cd, and there is no avenue of remuneration available to the authors.

That's a shame.

I think Komag is a great guy who has done lots for the community, but I also thought he was walking a legal tightrope there - something which will come up even more when Thief3 is released.
    Last edited by *Zaccheus*; 23rd Jun 2003 at 09:09.
    The Honest Thief - FMs, screenshots, DromED, links

Zaccheus' hospital blog

BANNED

Howcome

This

I ALSO give you the option of sending me all the materials and I'll do it out of my own time for FREE
    Doesn't Mesh With This

And they were linked, since you had to 'donate' a certain amount to get one
    I wonder if it might have something to do with that other intentional "failing" of capitalism?

For me the issue was pretty much resolved when I read the section which said that you can get the CDs for free even if you are living outside the US, by sending him postal coupons (along with the blank CD etc) to cover the postage.

Ignoring legal technicalities for a moment, I really don't think Komag was doing anything wrong at all.

EDIT:
    If you look at Komag's site, you'll see that the 'no more CDs' issue is separate from the 'legal' issue.
    So the reason he has stoped doing CDs has nothing to do with the legal argument anyway, it's just that 5 CDs is a hassle, so he'll only do DVDs in future.
    Last edited by *Zaccheus*; 23rd Jun 2003 at 09:09.
    The Honest Thief - FMs, screenshots, DromED, links

Zaccheus' hospital blog

Originally posted by *Zaccheus*
    If you look at Komag's site, you'll see that the 'no more CDs' issue is separate from the 'legal' issue.
    So the reason he has stoped doing CDs has nothing to do with the legal argument anyway, it's just that 5 CDs is a hassle, so he'll only do DVDs in future.
    This is true, but it is possible that one hassle is related to the other hassle. The future of the DVDs sounds uncertain to me, from what I have read. I would like to see this nipped in the bud.

Many thanks for starting this thread, Bukary! Komag really deserves it and I'm glad we can all give a big 'thank you' to him and let him know he did the nobler thing by not responding in like manner to the melodramatic posts (which, as already noted, should've been handled via private message or e-mail). Of course, if it went down that way most of us wouldn't have known (and I, for instance, couldn't have argued in his defense). As Komag noted on his site, Fileplanet is making a substantial profit on FMs, and one thinks FM authors (as well as Eidos) should/would try to shut them down before Komag, who's 'empire' couldn't be crumbs compared to Fileplanet . It's already been noted that Komag is offering the files for free and people will receive free bonuses when donating, so no legal issues whatsoever. But let's not make this into another 'Hey Azal' thread. You're one of the best, Komag. Never forget that

deadman.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

But of course, everyone knows Vileplanet is evil in the first place...

[Example: A while back, thanks to their utter contempt for singleplayer maps -- since the Big Thing (that is: the most lucrative thing) was/is online play -- they had a lot of FPS mappers scrambling to find hosting for their levels. Geocities may be free, but a 2mb+ file is pushing it. Reviewing sites had to host files themselves just to keep the SP communities alive...]
    The Foxhole
    "...so she went to the Sorbonne. You know, in France?"
    "Oh. For a minute there, I thought you meant the one in Utah."

Originally posted by poison_the_well
    here is my viewpoint on the subject,if someone is stupid enough to pay for something"fm cd's" when i was able to get it all for free on internet then let them.
    Well, not everyone of us have a super fast Internet connection...

OH NO!!!

From me too. I just sent Komag a thank you for the wonderful disk. His generosity will be missed. I really appreciate the time and trouble he went through to provide me with an easier way to install the FM's. No download worries. Why does it seem that everything nice is met with criticism.

A big THANK YOU !!!!! for all you have done for all of us.

You don't need a fast internet connection. It's quite possible to download large files on a slow connection - I downloaded GatI on 56k. All you need is a good download manager.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast