TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thief on Win XP: REALLY FAST

Thief on Win XP: REALLY FAST

I Installed the original Thief, (not GOLD), and it runs REALLY FAST on my machine. I'm talking like 100-200 frames per second. I have tried to turn off Hardware Acceleration, and that seems to work, but is there any way that I can play with it on?

My Rig:

Win XP
    graphics card: ATI Radeon 9700
    512MB DDR RAM
    Pentium 4 2.65 GHz

Thanks for your help!

Turn on VSync and/or full antialiasing etc.

Have you tried compatibility mode?

Wow. That solved it. Thanks. I absolutely LOVE this game, and I can't live without it for more than a day at a time.
    Thanks to you all!!!

"It is now my intention to play videogames for several hours" -StrongBad

Originally posted by Phalanx114
    Wow. That solved it.
    Oh, what exactly? Could you please tell what had helped you, because I'm going to upgrade my PC and will probably meet this problem too.

I have the same problem with my Thief Gold, so turning off hardware axcellation solves it or what?

I think compatibility mode? Certainly that solves my problems, although my videos have stopped working again, grrr...

Originally posted by Keeper Arnal
    I think compatibility mode? Certainly that solves my problems, although my videos have stopped working again, grrr...
    Try to reinstall the codec from the Thief CD. It always helps me.

BANNED
    Originally posted by d'Spair
    Oh, what exactly? Could you please tell what had helped you, because I'm going to upgrade my PC and will probably meet this problem too.
    Just don't get Windows XP

Pros > Cons

(and don't even mention Linux)

pros < cons on xp
    w2k > xp any day

Well, one of my friends plays Thief on XP and it runs great... but as soon as he turns off the hardware, the game starts to run too fast...

And I don't want this stuff. I believe that some Radeon chips and AMD processors don't like Dark Engline... I also don't believe that the version of Windows may change the game speed. It depends only on your hardware, IMO.

For the confused people, the solution to the "it runs way to fast" problem is:

Make sure wait for v-sync is on, turning it off is not a good thing to do (unless your computer isn't capable of running it at 60fps or if you just want to see how fast you can make it go)

Make sure it's running at 60Hz (yes, I know 60 is nasty and bad for your eyes, but you don't notice the flicker very much in thief due to the darkness) as thief doesn't like going faster than that.

Originally posted by S_Hole
    pros < cons on xp
    w2k > xp any day
    As a fully functional and viable operating system for the typical home user running today's hardware and software, Windows XP comes out significantly in front. If anyone says otherwise, then they have very specific needs, do not appreciate the needs of the average computer user, and/or have become emotionally attatched to another operating system.

Anyway, I have an Athlon XP, Win XP and a Radeon 9700. I've never ever come across the running too fast bug, and my refresh rate is 100hz. The only thing I do is run TG in Windows 2000 mode, to prevent a loading glitch.

Yes I am forcing that refresh rate. I don't know what made you so sure that I wasn't.

I think you need a bit of a reality check here. You did not just ask, you assumed that I had set the refresh rate in Windows, and you presumed to educate me about my 'mistake'. My comment reflected that. This time I'm not sure what makes you think I was being smartass; but it seems to me that your ego is getting in the way here. I find your superior attitude an affront, and believe me, I need no subtlety when I think someone is acting out of line.

Regardless, your cynisism and contempt are not welcome, so unless you have something constructive to add, might I respectfully suggest that you can it.

As I said, it wasn't the asking part. It wouldn't even have done any harm to explain why you'd asked. You practically chastised me because of your own preconceived notion. Generally that comes of as acting superior. Even if I hadn't know about it, your remark is somewhat patronising. Then you embark upon a merry old rant based on some shaky conjecture. I'd say that your position is pretty untenable in the matter. Still, at least you are making a spirited attempt at convincing yourself.

I had once on my comp SW : JK - Dark Forces 2, and it gave me a neat 600!! fps!!
    I was totally blown up! It ran ultra fast.... then I saw that V-Sync was off, when I turned it on it gave me 75 fps, wich really made it playable after.

Same was with thief, I turned off the V-Sync and my comp threw at me 200 fps! It was
    cool! all the gourds were running as if they had rockets in their arses...
    Last edited by DaNtAn; 24th Sep 2007 at 11:14.

Sorry if this is obvious - I should probably know by now - but where can the control for turning v-sync on/off be found? I know how to do it within the games themselves (when they offer the option), but not on the graphics card itself...or does it depend on what kind of card one has?

if it's not in the game's display settings, then it's possibly in your card's settings (control panel/display/settings/advanced... and somewhere there
    also called vertical sync
    if it's not there, you can disable it with a third party tweaking application, like rivatuner, which is awesome for nvidia cards

Hi there, first post, wohoo.

For those of us who dont know how to force the refresh rate would someone mind explaining.

Thanks

I'm not sure if this will help, but I get normal (30-75) fps in Thief Gold and I have NOT turned on v-sync or forced 60htz refresh rate. Try installing the texture,meshes,and models packs by OrGy and Daemonite (you can find links in the Technical thread on this board and over at The Circle). That upgrades the textures,etc to the 16 bit ones used in Thief 2. Playing at 1024x768 16 (the max in Thief Gold) it runs fine on my:

p4 2.0ghz
    1gb ram
    128mb geforce 4ti
    win xp

As to how you force the refresh rate, I'm not really sure since I've never bothered. But with my video card I'd guess it's something to do with the tab found by doing this:

right click desktop>select Properties>Setting>Advanced button>GeForce tab>Refresh Rate Overrides

But I can't give exact instructions since I've never bothered to mess with it (since the game runs fine without doing that).

Jacking the resolution to 1280x1024 fixed the speed issue for me, but I'll try the VSYNC and compatibility options out now. I like something to work because its 'fixed,' not because I've done some hokey workaround.

There's simply no way in hell I'll ever play any game at 60mhz, though. The eyestrain and potential long-term damage is just not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinatedzombeh
    Make sure it's running at 60Hz (yes, I know 60 is nasty and bad for your eyes, but you don't notice the flicker very much in thief due to the darkness) as thief doesn't like going faster than that.
    Huh ?

I've always played Thief with the screen refresh set at 75Hz with no problems. The important thing is to make sure Vsync is enabled, without it gameplay will indeed be too fast.

But it's not true that you must set your refresh rate to 60Hz.....

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal
    It's still going faster at 75Hz, it's just harder to notice.
    Err, have you timed walking from one end of a long corridor to the other on different refresh rates ?

When I enable TV out, it sync's to the 50Hz of the TV, compared to 75Hz of the monitor, and I don't notice any subjective movement speed difference.

I'll try it on even higher refresh rates tonight and see if I notice anything, and do some time runs along the corridors on The Sword or something...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast