TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Cassandra Episode 1: Spoilers

To be honest, I don't know. I'll ask AB and see if I can get you an answer.

KG

Well, as is typical of these things, I found part of the answer about 10 mins after I posted. The first sentry is standing in a pool of light. I didn't realise that because of the electric eyes effect.

Still be interesting to find out which weapons were stealth friendly though. It's nice to have things happen differently from standard DeusEx, but still frustrating when it happens. Human nature, I suppose...

I believe most of the ones that are stealthy are described as such in the text description. Which are worth reading anyway, as I really fucked around with them a bit.

KG

"There are times in life when subtlety is more apt than brute force. This is for times when it isn't."

I've personally always liked:
    "While the standard issue 5.56mm rounds will eliminate most distant patrols, for hardened targets depleted uranium rounds are available. Use sparingly. Every time you pull the trigger, you’re firing the cost of a central London mortgage towards your target's head."

Is DU really THAT expensive? Or is this extrapolation for comedic effect?

Extrapolation for writer's laziness effect.

It is ludicrously expensive, however. I just didn't bother to do the actual research, and thought it was a good line.

KG

ZylonBane
    It's not really, though. The whole point of hyperbole is to make an image that will stick in your mind. But here was have a line which hinges on mortgages... something which not only has no visual representation, but which is also meaningless to the vast majority of gamers, and worst of all... it's accounting humor, for god's sake.

In a similar vein, I once heard the main gun shells on battleships described as so expensive that it was like shooting a Volkswagen at the enemy. Now that's a good bit of imagery-- easy to picture, easy to connect to, humorous, and doesn't wax on in a prolonged attempt to appear oh-so-clever.

Well, to be fair, TCP was set in Birmingham: a joke that's probably also lost on the vast majority of gamers. It doesn't have to make EVERYONE laugh to be funny. That's kind of the point.

Plus, you can actually VISUALIZE a battleship firing Volkswagens, but the same does not really apply to a sniper..er.."sniper's" rifle.

ZylonBane
    I didn't mean to suggest that a sniper rifle firing an automobile would be a good simile. I was only offering up the battleship thing as an example of a good simile. Still, even that would be better than trying to visualize shooting a mortgage at someone.

LONDON
    =
    EXPENSIVE PROPERTY
    =
    BIG MORTGAGES

fair enough if you weren't aware that London was overly pricey in terms of house prices or indeed had never heard of a mortgage. But I'd say most people have.

And as much/all? of the crative input of TCP was UK-based, it seems fair that there can be "local" jokes. Quite a bit of US television and even game humour is lost on me, becasue I don't know what your money is. More things refer to nickels etc. than it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dumb_lunatic
    a joke that's probably also lost on the vast majority of gamers.
    Ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Cassandra Project.

(And, rising mildly to the bait, can anyone think why the most obvious bitch in the project might refer to a mortgage being wasted rather than any other expensive object when briefing Charlotte?)

KG
    Last edited by Brem_X_Jones; 20th Aug 2005 at 20:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingernail
    fair enough if you weren't aware that London was overly pricey in terms of house prices or indeed had never heard of a mortgage. But I'd say most people have.
    Most British people, certainly. Anyone who has friends in London too, I'd say. You'll be lucky to go 10 minute speaking to a Londoner without them having a good whine about rent.

But outside of that, no, maybe not.

(I mean, I know about rent in SF, LA and NY. In fact, far too much detail. But I can't be sure whether that's because I have friends there or whether I'd just have known it through pop-culture. I suspect the latter, but only because it's a part of pop culture I'm actively interested in.)

Not that I mind too much if that line alienated people. That was part of the design from the off.

KG

Quote Originally Posted by AxTng1
    And as much/all? of the crative input of TCP was UK-based, it seems fair that there can be "local" jokes. Quite a bit of US television and even game humour is lost on me, becasue I don't know what your money is. More things refer to nickels etc. than it seems.
    Not everyone was UK based, but the actual design side of it certainly was.

And, yes, there may have been some deliberate cultural revenge in having someone else's pop culture forced down our gaming throat. It depresses me when I see an East European developer setting their game in the US and using all this foriegn culture just because it's the marketplace. I like things which come from places.

(I mean, fuck knows what STALKER will be like, but I like the fact they're mythologising their lives and environment)

KG

will there ever be a second part?

It will be when we're able to secure a contract with our planned winged-porcine delivery system.

KG

is Best Pony
    I'm sure 3D Realms could give your their contact info.

Excellent mod! Finally a mod with conversations that sound like real people!

Only one question: when will there be more?
    Last edited by fitzroy_doll; 20th Sep 2005 at 06:19.

Where can this mission be downloaded at?
    Thankee

Good god. Does no one read/use google anymore?

To fitzroy_doll: never. It's over, the team have split up, gone their separate ways, etc. Read the thread fully. It's sad, but yeah: it's dead.

Falcon: you could simply google 'cassandra project deus ex', but hey.

Try this:

http://www.deusex-machina.com/cassan...ject/comms.asp

No, it is far too easy to have someone link it to me instead.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brem_X_Jones
    Not everyone was UK based, but the actual design side of it certainly was.

And, yes, there may have been some deliberate cultural revenge in having someone else's pop culture forced down our gaming throat. It depresses me when I see an East European developer setting their game in the US and using all this foriegn culture just because it's the marketplace. I like things which come from places.

(I mean, fuck knows what STALKER will be like, but I like the fact they're mythologising their lives and environment)

KG

so what do you think of that spate of chinese-developed games being published the world over? (even if it comes out as budget-priced diablo and warcraft 2/command and conquer clones)
    i do see that it tends to happen that many fps' or other games set in more contemporary times/non-obviously fictional environments are mostly targetted to the US taste; in the same way i suppose you'll never see an FPS with an indian (not native american) protagonist and setting be released here. the culture is probably overly foreign/overlooked/irrelevant (hah, as if any culture/country should be) to the target market.

Is there any where i can get this mod without having to fecking sign up???

ZylonBane

ZB: Sign up to websites to download the mod, fileplanet & fileshack. I have the mod now (i googled) without having to give away any of my emails to these bloody websites.

Wasn't it given away on a PC Gamer disc at some point?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast