TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Technical Difficulties

Technical Difficulties

New thread to keep the tic-toc imps out of the feedback threads.

Lewis, before you do anything you need to have DX installed. Then you need to patch it up good with whatever patches you can find (try all of them first and worry about whether they're necessary afterwards).

Then you need to have a complete and uncorrupted setup file for Cassandra, which you then run. Cassandra should install.

Then you need to run the game from the discrete menu shortcut that it pops into your program groups.

If you do all that, in that order, and you still get an error message you need to write down what the error message is and come back and tell us.

Good advice.

*downloads randomly*

I could also email Kieron...

Some notes on patches: the latest multplayer patch is v1112fm, I have TCP running fine with this installed. Sources I know about:

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/50000/59470.shtml
    http://ftp.eidos.com/pub/patches/deu...atch1112fm.exe (thanks Morte)
    PC Zone DVD 121 (November 2002)

To get TCP to work I did the following:
    • install Deus Ex, do not play it.
    • install v1112fm patch, again do not play it.
    • install TCP, read the readme.
    • sacrifice a small urchin to the Old Dark Gods of Computing
    • run the Cassandra Project via the start menu
    • let Deus Ex find the video driver
    • click on several nexts
    • set up controls, colours, display resolution and depth, hardware sound etc
    • quit TCP (required for the 32bit graphics and hardware sound to stick, ignore if you are cursed with so much bad karma you don't have a decent graphics or sound card.)
    • start TCP again
    • Play.

If any of these stepts do not work, do the following:

• DO NOT CLOSE ANY ERROR DIALOGS (should there be one)
    • If there is an error dialog, you know that thing you didn't just close, then write down EXACTLY what it says.
    • Now close the error dialog.
    • If there wasn't an error dialog, make a note of exactly which steps you've done, which worked, and whether you remembered to use a ceremonial knife rather than a normal kitchen one.
    • Post the details. By details that means every detail that may be relevant (except perhaps phase of the moon) - error messages, current install stage, age of urchin. Things like "it doesn't work" don't earn marks.
    Last edited by The Watcher; 1st Jul 2003 at 17:06.

I don't suppose anyone has a link to the latest multiplayer patch that is not Fileplanet?

It wasn't the FUCKING LATEST PATCH!!!

That website is a LYING BASTARD!

Ahem.

Anyway.

There's another MP patch to download. There's also a 30 minute queue.

Suppose I'll play Cassandra tomorrow night.

Sorry about this, people. It's been a hard day.

Oh dear lord, Watcher, thank you. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you.

Originally posted by boughtonp
    I don't suppose anyone has a link to the latest multiplayer patch that is not Fileplanet?
    Google doesn't appear to know of any - all hits for Deus Ex 1112fm eventually link back to fileplanet. I'll check in a few other places to see if I can find it, but don't hold your breath

A_B: no prob, you lot have put in a rediculous amount of work, so if I can help out a little bit on this end it's the least I can do.
    Last edited by The Watcher; 1st Jul 2003 at 17:02.

Yeah, I did try Google and came up with nothing.

Still 12 minutes away from being allowed to start the FP download.

16 for me.

Couldn't they have, like, included it in TCP?

They could have, but then seeing as sensible people already have it, it would just be a waste of bandwidth.

*sigh* Four more minutes till launch.

Really people, why didn't you look for the patch at eidos ?

I looked at deusex.com but that didn't have anything. Didn't think eidos would.

Although eidos is only 15kbps, and fp (which has just started) is 45kbps.

Bah, it's always the obvious one I overlook. Thanks Morte, added the link to the instructions above in case someone dives off without reading the rest of the thread.

Plus, we're not entirely sure about the legalities of redistributing someone else's code.

Some people are funny about that.

We included cstrike.wad with Solo Operations.

Erk.

I'm also certain that the point of re-using media in a mod is that the end-user has already supposed to have bought that media with the original game. That's why taking advantage of someone else's commercial engine can be allowed out of the usual restraints of copyright.

If you just include all of the CS media with a HL mod, you're giving away the hard work of the guys that did CS to people who haven't paid for the privelige. Kind of makes you a pirate.

Okay, assuming I have not screwed anything up, both the multiplayer patch and TCP part 1 are mirrored here:
    http://www.hybridchill.com/dx/dl.cfm

I assume it is okay to mirror them? I'll take either/both of them down if I hear otherwise.

Bandwidth-wise, I get 20GB a month and can spare about three quarters of that, so I've put aside 16000MB, which is enough for over 600 users getting just TCP, or over 250 if they get both.

Server is US based, though I can usually get decent enough speeds over here in the UK.

Oh, one more thing... until I've fixed [whatever it is that is broken], the files need to be renamed to have the .exe extension, otherwise Windows wont know what to do with them.

Any problems/questions?

You're a very nice man.

Or woman.

Definitely a man, unless I had surgery at a young age and my birth certificate is forged.

I assume it is okay to mirror them? I'll take either/both of them down if I hear otherwise.
    [/B]
    No - absolutely fine.

KG

I posted this to Kieron at The V, but I thought I should mention it here as well. The opening cinematic freezes once the bus pulls up. It's still possible to skip this and head straight to the bar, but 30 seconds in, the whole thing crashes to my desktop and gives me a Direct Draw error. I've tried to copy it out of the error window, but no joy.
    And it's decidedly too long for me to try to retype by hand.

For reference: Deus Ex with the latest multiplayer patch (which you can find via the EIDOS Deus Ex boards, by the by) 3 Ghz PIV, 1Gg RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 PRO and whatever the latest version of Direct X is available.

Minor update: this doesn't seem to happen when I play it in the default resolution.

What's "The V"?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast