TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Release the code..

kpe

Release the code..

Couldn't Lg do like ID-software and relase the code of UW1&2 .. maybe it would be problems with Origin, but it would be wonderful.. I would like to dig in to the code and maybe do something fun with it.

Dunbar2

It would be nice, but I seriously doubt it will happen. There's too many companies involved for starters and also there is no one at LGS that is advocating the release of the source like Carmack was at id. That's not to say that it was easy getting the sources for Doom and Quake released. Eventhough Carmack is one of the owners of id, he still had a bear of a time convincing the suits that it was a good idea. Oh well, we can always dream .

-Dunbar

Steezo

Wouldn't it be possible to port this over to windows? If several ametuer dev teams are trying, and two have nearly done it, to port Ultima 7 to windows, can't we program several lines that replace the dos function calls with windows ones? I still don't know enough about coding to do this, but am trying to find a way to get it to run flawlessley under windows.

Steezo smacks himself for taking up the lost cause of getting anything to work perfectly under windows

Thoric

All we really need is for someone to be able to extract the map/level/world data, as well as details/stats on all the NPCs and objects, get some artists to draw up better graphics, take an existing modern game engine (like the Unreal engine), code in all the gameplay and quests and stuff, and we'll have a modern version of UW1 & II...

We just need a team of people to do it

Dunbar2

Thoric, one can always dream. If I had tons of free time, I would probably participate in such an effort. What could be done with the Unreal engine would be awesome. It might even bring a tear to my eye to see Underworld 1 and 2 redone using it.

-Dunbar

Steezo

Anyone know how to extract the map's and sounds from underworld? If someone could get this started I know enough about 3d mapping to do my part, and I have waaay too much free time on my hands, I mean, someone's doing a SShock conversion right? Why can't several of us work together to update Underworld 1&2?

ShadowJack

Maps: Someone decoded the UW1 map format enough to make a working editor, though I'm not sure if it works for levels other than the first. I don't remember where it is, but there's probably a link on TTLG.

Sounds: Sounds in UW1 were synthesized (at the same time as the music), sounds in UW2 are plain Creative Labs .voc files.

I actually started a dromed conversion of UW level one back when dromed was first released, checking the UW editor to get the architecture perfect, but I *cough* never finished it. An interesting thing though, is that the movement physics worked out just about perfectly, including jumping.

------------------
    "Are you sorry, Jack?" asked his soul.
    "No," said Jack. "It had to be done."
    "But are you sorry it had to be done?"
    "No," said Jack.

^Teppic

Found the page the editor's on after a bit of searching around:

http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/memphis/670/

Haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Actually I'd also be very interested in contributing if someone can get something started [I'm a c/c++ programmer and I've written the odd quake mod. Even wrote my own dodgy 3d engine once ].

Steezo

Hmm, there's many 3d games out there that have released their source and editing them to our needs wouldn't be that hard, I mean, if unreal can be turned into what Dues Ex is supposed to be, shouldn't we be able to do something similar to a current engine? We're all Underworld fans here, other people are doing an Unreal port of System Shock, so why can't several of us get together and build an Underworld mod? Any takers on this?

Saam

Hey guys, if there is enough 'excitement' for an Underworld conversion, we'll (TTLG) gladly support it, make it public, have a website for you guys, etc. Hell, we'll even make news posts, stating that more team member are needed for the project, etc.. if you all are interested.

Whaddya think?

^Teppic

Sounds good to me. With now upwards of 2800 signatures on the UW3 petition there's bound to be more people out there who are willing to contribute.

Saam: any chance of some of the map/data file specs being made available to the team that ends up working on it? I realise source code would be asking too much, but some specs would definitely speed up the whole process. The publicity would be great too.

Steezo: There might be difficulties using the Unreal engine (AFAIK people would have to learn UnrealScript, whereas there's a lot more people with the c/c++ knowledge needed to tweak other (quake 1/2/3 based) games. Then again the Unreal engine's great in the 'eye candy' department...

Saam

Where am I going to get the map/data file specs? I don't have access to them...they're Looking Glass's, not ours!

^Teppic

Ah ok. I was under the impression that ttlg.com was some kind of semi-official looking glass website. My mistake. I think lack of sleep had something to do with it

Steezo

I'd only mentioned the unreal engine because, from my standpoint as a mapper it's the one I'm most comfortable working with and I've already seen a few conversions of Underworld 1&2 maps done in the Unreal engine. I'm not much of a coder so I didn't think of that. But as far as other quake engine based games, what about using the Half-Life engine? (i'd mention SiN but everyone would laugh, including me.)

^Teppic

The Half-Life engine could work (check out the 'They Hunger' maps for an example of what can be done). I didn't know about those existing UW maps for Unreal though. Engine choice probably depends on the preferences of any people who might be willing to work on the project I guess.

BTW - do you have any URLs for those converted maps? I've searched all over the place for them but all I've managed to find so far are some broken links :/

Steezo

Sorry man, I had it bookmarked when it was still there, but lost track of the site. I'll be searching for the maps, if I can find them, I'll find a way to get them to you. I think it was the first level of the abyss, the pits of carnage and the tomb of praceor loth, I'm still searching. (in other words, i've just bought Freespace, and will be inactive for the next 3 weeks, bugger off. All SHIVANS MUST DIE!!!!!)

It's all part of a diabolocal plan to take over the world by getting everyone addicted to these games, hey wait, I can enchant weapons and I still need the dragonskin boots......... Promptly abandons plans for world takeover and continues to play underworld doing "research".

^Teppic

Heh. Oh well, guess I won't be seeing you again for a while then

/me goes back to hunting around for those maps...

Gothik

Nali City at Planet Unreal have a couple of the Underworld Unreal conversions. They've definately got Stygian Abyss Level 1. I'm currently downloading one called Baffords, which they claim is an Underworld map, but I've got a suspicion that it's actually a Theif conversion. I'll let you know once I've actually played it.

Nali City is at: www.planetunreal.com/nalicity/

Gothik

As I thought, the Bafford map is a conversion of Theif:TDP level 1. It only the interior of the mansion though, not the entire level. Shame. Quite good though and gives you an idea of what Theif might have looke like if it had been made using the Unreal engine.

^Teppic

Yep, it's Bafford's manor. Thanks for the link, managed to find them both.

Dunbar2

The Unreal Engine has some appeal from a coders point of view since it uses OOP. The only problem is that you have to learn Unreal Script, but it is similar to Java so it shouldn't be too difficult. Also since SShock has many similar RPG elements of UU, some of the insights gained from the people working on Unreal SShock could prove helpful for an Unreal UU project. I'm interested in this, but I'm not sure how much time I could devote to it.

-Dunbar

------------------
    Member of the SPCL

[This message has been edited by Dunbar2 (edited April 27, 2000).]

Steezo

Well, if they'd allow it, we might be able to work from the UnreslShock conversions codebase. Would still have to be modified, but not as much, of if you're really lazy, wait for Deus Ex and just use some map, model, ai, texture and ai editing to start.

Saam

Actually, those maps you see on NaliCity are taken from our very own Zerker (TTLG's famous mapper) -- TTLG's Mirror Images section has his LG-game maps for Unreal that have been released:

http://www.ttlg.com/other/mirror -- you might want to check it out.

[This message has been edited by Saam (edited April 28, 2000).]

Gothik

Thanks for the link Saam!I should have guessed the levels would be on TTLG smewhere. Doh!

^Teppic

So it does, so far, look like there would be lots of advantages in using the Unreal engine. I've never tried UnrealScript, but if it's as similar to Java/C++ as people are saying then I might be able to pick it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast