TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Cassandra Review V3

Cassandra Review V3

Billed as a preview, but it's really a review. I think anyway.

http://www.wickedtoast.com/article.php?id=70

KG

I haven't downloaded the mod / or patches yet. (and won't on my 56k connection: maybe it will appear on a magazine someday.. maybe PC Gamer?). But this review is appetizing and I look forward to playing it someday!

The following is more of a moan about design features of DX (than accolades for a game that I haven't yet played..), based on the differences that the review highlights between TCP and DX. Just some stuff that I want to get off my chest.

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

(I'm not much of a story based gamer, preferring puzzle solving and big-guns / stealth-action.) But the changes from DX that are highlighted in this review sound quite impressive! For instance the combat sounds more intense. As the reviewer notes DX handed you quite a few easy solutions to a problem, which makes things less interesting. I'm also pleased to hear that the multi-tool no longer needs resources to work, instead being more time based. This presumably a.) suits the needs of a short episodic game where there is less time to accumulate resources. I'm also pleased to hear that supplies aren't hidden in "the oddest places", and so the game-world seems more rational. Furthermore, it suggests that you can use cool toys like X-Ray vision early on. And that the bio-electric costs for your upgrades have been reduced.. personally I was surprised by the DX decision to limit the use of upgrades through battery collection.. I suppose it was an extra element of strategy / or a game-balance issue. But I had hoped that the upgrades would have been permanent.. ie. like the (excellent) perks in Fallout or changing the basic stats like Agility and Strength in System Shock 2... or to have upgrades like Speed Running *slightly increase* your basic movement rate (like Agility in SS2) but need to consume energy to operate on full power (ie. to run really fast). Hopefully, there will be something like this in DX2.

Anyway, enough of all this. Kudos on releasing the first part of The Cassandra Project!

Unfortunately, its a little rude to go on any magazine discs. I got it though and I am on 56K. I recommend Download Accelerator Plus not so much for its speed up but more for its ability to save mid-downlaod thus allowing for 56K disconnects.

The preview/review zooms in efficiently on all the major modifications to Deus Ex Cassandra makes and that is its particular. Interesting how the action is almost equally as popular as the narrative. I am still of the opinion that there was more of particular interest in the base. The automotons are a lovely idea, though, especially for a sequence that was added at a late date.
    'An anarchist is a liberal with a bomb'

Trotsky

I'm still shocked that you recognised them as a nod to an obscure 70's New Avengers episode.

Originally posted by Retischal
    And that the bio-electric costs for your upgrades have been reduced.. personally I was surprised by the DX decision to limit the use of upgrades through battery collection.. I suppose it was an extra element of strategy / or a game-balance issue.
    I'd imagine, but it was one which we thought we'd throw completely out of the window.

It's a game about playing a superhuman. Where would the fun being Superman if you had to worry too much about whether you could fly or not.

I'm just glad people seem to be digging it.

KG

Originally posted by Brem_X_Jones

It's a game about playing a superhuman. Where would the fun being Superman if you had to worry too much about whether you could fly or not.
    [/B]
    -I totally agree with you on this point, since I wanted to play through Deus Ex with lots of *FUN* super-powers like increased stealth / firepower / seeing through walls etc.. but couldn't. . Not only did you need several augmentation canisters of the same type to get the more powerful upgrades, but you could only use them if you had the batteries.

Looking forward to seeing how TCP does!

Originally posted by Brem_X_Jones
    I'm just glad people seem to be digging it.

KG
    Yeah that is the main thing!

I thought those cyber thingies appeared in a few episodes. Lord, The Avengers was absolutely insane. The plots could have been written by a group of 9 year olds between bouts of cowboys and indians. Those were the days. Far better than today's equivalent "Spooks".
    'An anarchist is a liberal with a bomb'

Trotsky