TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lord James' Retreat - July 2003

Just finished this one, nice mission. As for the key on the front door, you can get it just by jumping and frobbing, no stacking required

Hello from the Geez,
    Can't find the key or way into the other side of the upstairs hallway. I read the notes to the kids but "DANG IT " I haven't found the way in. PLUS : I heard the Secret open in the room upstairs with the BIG emblem on the wall but can't find whatever opened. Any and all help appreciated .................. The Geez

oldgeezer - To find out where to look for the key:
    spoiler:
    You have a rope arrow now, right? Take it outside and look for a window that's open.

I'm not sure exactly which room you mean? Do you mean the one that
    spoiler:
    looks like a store room? The whole section of a wall to your right slides up. Once it's up, it's hard to tell that it was ever there. There should have been 2 nuggets sitting on the floor. The other secrets both move paintings on the walls.

Very fun mission, thanks John!!! Just finished on expert, 2 of 3 secrets, and less than 70 total loot unfound. I kept waiting for the swarms of guards to arrive,

spoiler:
    since the servant went to get them (he's a speedy little brat, isn't he?), but was a little disappointed to only see two new guards after acquiring the skull. When I saw the first, I thought a whole new game was going to begin, trying to sneak back to the caves amongst dozens of new patrolling bluecoats, which I think would have been very exciting.

Please don't get me wrong, the mission is great as is. I just thought it could be kind of like 2 missions in one by adding more guards at the end..... just a thought.

Thanks to all for playing my mission and for your nice comments. I had to cut my vacation short and now I'm back home.

Sometimes it is hard to tell what is not enough and what is too much. After you find the skull

spoiler:
    There are four city watch guards, but two of them are on patrol. I should have put more in.

Thanks to Abert, LTM, MrMunkeepants, ShadowWolf421, Silent_Warrior, and wild_inferno9 (did I miss anyone?) for beta testing this mission for me.

I would have liked to add more detail but I kept getting errors that would not allow optimization. During design time about half the objects aquired the "tweq, destroy object" property and I had to go to each one to fix them. Then another unrelated half objects decided to clone themselves.

I had only tried ghosting once, and
    spoiler:
    when I tried to get the key, I was able to shoot an earth arrow onto the doorway, shoot a rope arrow up into the foyer ceiling, jump over the guard, get the key, and jump back to the rope.

I will try to put up a walkthrough for each difficulty, as the loot and guard counts are different on all three levels.

John

I just released version 1.1 of my FM Lord James' Retreat. For those of you who downloaded it, it will just be harder. hehe. The loot and objectives remain the same. I also fixed some small bugs.

You can find it at http://www.geocities.com/john9818a/thief22.html

along with a loot list made by Nightwalker & wild_inferno9. Thanks!!

John

Originally posted by deadman
    Not bad. Not much of a looker, but we all can't design like Bukary, Christine, Purah, or Saturnine I suppose . No, I don't mean any offense by that. I would possibly not allow the player to turn off almost every light in the place (making it super easy, if you are susceptible to laziness in sneaking like me), but on the other hand, you might have been a horrible taffer not allowing any to be turned off . I still have yet to find the key to the golden skull.. How were we supposed to get the key above the front door? I flareclimbed with two apples, though I'm sure this wasn't the intended means
    Also, I read the hint about the demon having the key, but can't find this yet..

Cheers,

deadman.
    hey....what is 'flare climb'...with apples?...how does one do this?

I have no idea.

There aren't any flares in the mission, and the apples are for eating. :P

John

You can stack a lot of different items and use them to get higher. You just look down, jump and drop the item at the same time and you end up standing on top of it. That's probably what he was referring to, though it's not needed here.
    spoiler:
    You can just jump and click or use a rope arrow.

I can't find it!!

I can't find the cage key!

spoiler:
    I've scoured the entire roof, even the rooves on top of them that are only rope arrow accessible. Can't find the key anywhere please someone just tell me direct. It's probably right in front of me and I just can't see it.

Spyrano

There has already been postings about how to find the cage key!
    spoiler:
    It in Lord James' room. However, you need to look for a secret switch that opens something in the same room where you will find the key you seek.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    And if you need a more specific hint:

spoiler:
    The switch is right under the open window.

Originally posted by Nightwalker
    You can stack a lot of different items and use them to get higher. You just look down, jump and drop the item at the same time and you end up standing on top of it. That's probably what he was referring to, though it's not needed here.
    spoiler:
    You can just jump and click or use a rope arrow.
    I just tried that with a bunch of unrolled scrolls, but I didn't get very high.

John

Please Help me I can`t found the 3. Secret !
    But why only 2 new guards after taking the Skull I count over 4

Tunnel on roof

If you get up on the roof (as expert taffers, you'll know how to do that) and run around to the roof above the childrens' rooms you'll find a small tunnel exiting on to the roof which is too small to get into. Does it lead anywhere? Is there a way to get there from the inside? I've finished the game on expert but am just curious.

mask of stars

Hello everyone!

Could someone please tell me where to find the mask of the stars? Probably I'm just a bit blind...

rani, it's in the same room as the Mask of the Sun, in the Master Wing.

Ghost

Getting onto the roof

[Folks]

For those of us who aren't "expert taffers," how do you get onto the roof?

Dafydd

Ghost

Finished on ghost

[Folks]

Nice mission; I put a ghost writeup here, but it's not worth reading... not much to say (no really difficult ghosting problems).

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...645#post279645

I still want to know how to get up on the roof! I was 300 loot short, though I got 3 for 3 secrets. Maybe some of the missing loot is up there?

I found a pair of legbones with David. Is the rest of the golden skeleton around somewhere?

I think I also missed one pick (10 for 12); it's probably a newly spawned archer with an arrow, but it could be a guard with a purse.

Dafydd

I was short 5g. I think, so it's there somewhere. There are 4 gold bones in that room but they're only worth 150g. total. Did you find
    spoiler:
    a tiny gold ring on the windowsill in Thomas' room? It's easy to overlook.

Ghost

Nope

[Nightwalker]

I didn't find the ring, and I only noticed two bones in the storeroom. But I'm less interested in finding all the loot than I am in getting up to the roof for aesthetic reasons: I like climbing around roofs!

Some help, please?

Dafydd

I never got up on the roof, so I can't help with that. I don't usually go out of my way to get places you're not intended to in an FM, though occasionally, I've had some fun with that.

Dafydd

As far as I know there is only one way onto the roof.

spoiler:
    Shoot an arrow into the wood block hanging outside above the master bedroom window, and then climb all the way up.

Not to spoil a spoiler but there is no reason to get on the roof unless you really want to.

I have a new mission coming out soon and everyone will be able to climb roofs all over (for a reason).

John

Originally posted by Nightwalker
    I was short 5g. I think, so it's there somewhere. There are 4 gold bones in that room but they're only worth 150g. total. Did you find
    spoiler:
    a tiny gold ring on the windowsill in Thomas' room? It's easy to overlook.
    Nightwalker

Did you find the 5g
    spoiler:
    coin under one of the hallway lights in the master wing?

John

Re: Finished on ghost

Originally posted by Dafydd
    [Folks]

Nice mission; I put a ghost writeup here, but it's not worth reading... not much to say (no really difficult ghosting problems).

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...645#post279645

I still want to know how to get up on the roof! I was 300 loot short, though I got 3 for 3 secrets. Maybe some of the missing loot is up there?

I found a pair of legbones with David. Is the rest of the golden skeleton around somewhere?

I think I also missed one pick (10 for 12); it's probably a newly spawned archer with an arrow, but it could be a guard with a purse.

Dafydd
    Dafydd

Thank you for your comments and your ghost walkthrough.

spoiler:
    Did you find it easy to ghost around the guard at the front door while trying to get the master wing key?

You can find a loot list here:

http://www.thiefmissions.com/lootlis...ames_v1_1.html

John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast