TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: 'Thief' mod?

'Thief' mod?

As some of you may be aware, some of TTLG's most popular forums (well, I'm a bit impartial to them myself ) are those dedicated to LGS's Thief series. Unfortunately, the two Dark engines are a bit lacking in capabilities, forcing fan mission authors to curb their ambitious visions. However, with Morrowind, the options seem endless, so would any Thief-loving taffers be willing to mod it to add "The City" or perhaps The City and surrounding areas (which would obviously merit a lot of imagination as they aren't clearly defined in-game)? I'm not quite sure Morrowind's default textures and such will be fitting to the atmosphere, but there are quite a lot of modding efforts out there, so I'm just wondering why someone hasn't thought to do this yet.. Or if they have, why haven't I heard of it before now? Let me know if I'm going crazy thinking this could be a successful plugin/mod..

deadman.

EDIT: If you haven't seen this page yet, take a look! Beautiful stuff, that..
    Last edited by deadman; 6th Aug 2003 at 21:21.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

It's impossible to make a perfect thief mod

An interesting idea, but personally I feel time would be better spent elsewhere, until Thief 3 is released. Nothing has been confirmed, but everything I've seen suggests that Ion Storm are very keen to support the community and release an SDK, and the Thief 3 engine will be the peer of anything else on the market, and be considerably superior to Morrowind (That's NetImmerse, I believe) and Dark.

Z

Originally posted by Z
    Ion Storm are very keen to support the community and release an SDK, and the Thief 3 engine will be the peer of anything else on the market, and be considerably superior to Morrowind (That's NetImmerse, I believe) and Dark.
    I'm sure the Thief 3 engine will be 'superior' to Morrowind's engine, but this still doesn't change the fact that, unless it is done in the fashion of Morrowind (as a game and probably as an engine), we won't be able to build as much or big at all. Yes, there was/is the boast on Eidos' Thief 3 page that we'll be able to explore an entire city district, but if the possibilities were more epic than even Morrowind's, why not say 'explore the entire world of The City'? Unless someone proves me wrong (or they built such a hell of an engine), I will believe Thief will be like any other non-world level FPS these days. Also, it's based on the Unreal Engine (although just about everything of importance has been significantly re-written), which, unless I'm mistaken, isn't similar to Morrowind's in any way. So I still think Morrowind's is one of the only capable of handling the entire city as we know it in Thief. Of course, I don't play many games, and I'm discounting a 'SimCity' type one as it obviously wouldn't be the right atmosphere at all.

SLIEZER, what is the purpose of your comment? Who the fuck ever said about making a 'perfect thief mod'? Geez..

Heh, I should post this in the Thief General discussion board as it'll obviously get more replies there.

deadman.
    Last edited by deadman; 7th Aug 2003 at 12:25.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

I came, I had a go, I gave up.

With T3, hopefully we'll get all the customisability of Unreal left in so that a level designer can just trigger level changes along a border. OK, so the effect would be kinda similar to level changes in Deus Ex and wouldn't really be great, but hey, its worth trading off for the kind of stealth gameplay that Morrowind just doesn't have.

If you wanted to do it for the sake of exploring the The City, it certainly would be possible, although it would require a huge amount of time and imagination. A team of dedicated taffers might pull it off if given a couple of years.

However, you certainly shouldn't have hope of the gameplay being in any way remotely Thief-like. You simply can't interact with the world the same way in Morrowind.

I've been thinking about this a bit, and it would take quite a bit of time and energy to produce the enviornment alone.

The thing is, most people (possibly even the original poster) are thinking of this as being a "Thief" game along the same line as what we've already had (and what they are creating with T3)... but what you would have with this "mod" (though, total conversion would be a better description of what this would be).

Morrowind is a RPG game system and what you would be creating would be a Theif RPG. That might work. Think about it.

Choose to enlist with the Keepers, learn from them, etc. or you could become a Hammer, freelance theif, etc.

It could work, and work well... but it would be a HUGE undertaking, as large as Morrowind itself must have been to create.

Just my 2 cents.

PHIL

You know, there is a fairly recent plugin released called Light Based Sneaking which tries to make sneaking more advanced and "Thief-y" in Morrowind. I haven't tried it out yet, so for all I know it could suck, but you might want to check it out to check it out.

Z

Light Based Sneaking is about as far as it can go. Morrowind is a very static game. Thief had internal capabilities such as light-based stealth, guard AI modes, blackjacking, etc. These all take incredibly heavy scripting and a lot of pain to make work in Morrowind, and even then there's no light gem, no intuitive inventory system, etc (yes those are truly impossible). Morrowind is a good game but it isn't made for things like Thief... and vice versa.