TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: The Night Falcon (Sep. 4, 2003)

Green burricks and flies? Just run like hell past them. You'll be past them before they can react, and are not worth expending health points or ordnance.

spoiler:
    Also, there is a tunnel behind a small pond that leads inside the first set of dorways avoiding most of the burricks, and first pair of door guards.

The first 6 missions are excellent, but sadly I must give up on the final mission. I get as far as inside the castle ruins and then the game constantly crashes whenever I do anything. I tryed everything and it has nothing to do with arrows and the stairs for me. I can take a step and draw my sword or just take a step and it crashes. Could someone tell me if and when there will be a fix as I would love to finish? Otherwise could someone please tell me what you do in the last level and what happens in the end. I would greatly appreciate any help or story on what happens in the last level and the end movie.

Thanks so much guys.

Sting

P.S. Keep up the good work Christine.

crashing in final mission

I've also had a lot of problems with crashes. For me it seemed to happen on the second floor. I ended up losing patience and making loud noises to bait the vampires downstairs. After I killed a few it seemed to crash less. Otherwise this is a very entertaining mission...but the crashes are pretty demoralizing. Oh, and a question what do the
    spoiler:
    two frobbable torched on the second floor do? Or am I missing a third? I haven't noticed anything different

krogger your missing the third torch, which is located downstairs, in an office.

Night Falcon #4

I have to ask (I read all the posts and didn't see this question) what are
    the potions blazing oil and gas elexiers used for or how are they used or
    are they not used?????

Throw them .

I am currently bald and bleeding out the eyeballs from trying to translate babelfish german. I cannot, repeat, cannot find the book or switch to frob to get under the stairs in the library. I'm crying,with no real reason to cry.

PS i love you christine. your FM's are wonderful. every single one of them.

under the stairs in library

spoiler:
    Try climbing a ladder and looking on your right.
    Which one you ask
    spoiler:
    on the left side- left meaning to your left when you walk into the room

Thanks inferno

Thanks for the help wild inferno, for whatever reason I just wasn't seeing the
    spoiler:
    third frobbable torch downstairs

Taking a break
    WOW, I like it! I'm on mission 4 right now and I must say its great work. The ambient light setting is a little high, but with all of nice textures and architecture, it actually works out quite well. The
    spoiler:
    stuff in the kid's room on level 2
    was one of the scariest things I've seen in an FM!
    spoiler:
    When the nightmare was over, I threw those toys in the fireplace!

Thanks Krogger. Bleeding stopped... until next time

crashes

This has been a great FM up to the 7th chapter (the castle). I just cannot get this one
    finished due to crashing back to DarkLoader. I guess others have the same problem.
    My crash point is well into the mission after I did the 2nd floor stuff. I am now on the 1st floor and have done just about everything to do. I am just waiting for a wierdo to pass by. Is there any chance this 7th mission will be corrected and re-released?

What alot of spelling errors in this thread!

Sluggs

PS. Dus nobodey no howe too spel?

krogger: dont feel bad i had problems finding it , and the one by the banner took me like 3 mins.

oil, gas, and the blazing all act differently, gas is a bigger gas cloud then the arrow but noisy. blazing, is a fire bomb, noisy, and not totally effective on humans. oil, cant remember exactly what it does at moment, dont think i used it.

orobas : I put up an english walkthrough, so you folks didnt have to struggle through the translator, which comes out reallly vague and confusing, so i fixed it when i did it the walkthrough in english can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/wild_inferno9/

My review-type-thing for Night Falcon!

It's late. I'm bored, and I'm not tired enough to go to sleep- so therefore I will write a episode by episode review for the recently released Night Falcon. Makes sense to me...Anyway, Night Falcon is a pretty huge campaign and there are probably a lot of people out there who want to know if it's worth the download, hopefully this review will help them out. I don't write many reviews (in fact I don't write much in general), so hopefully this won't be *too* bad. Note: This review will not be completely "glowing", as I'm going to mention some of the problems I had with the campaign also, so no offence to the author, I enjoyed Night Falcon very much overall (just, nothing's perfect).

Anyway- ONWARD:

Mission 1- A shopping Walk
    What better way to kick off an epic campaign like this then with a huge town level? The first mission is just basically Garett gathering his equipment, and enjoying some good thieving in town before he heads off to raid Lord Wellhofer's mansion. This mission is where we see for the first time the major problem I had with the earlier levels of this pack, those damn hidden switches!! I don't mind the occasional hidden swith in an FM, but I prefer for them to be big enough to easily see and for there to be a good clue nearby that there is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, in fact a hidden switch in the room your searching. The hidden switch puzzle right at the beginning of this level has you combing Garrett's house for a hidden lever roughly the size of a speck of dust- that also happens to be obscurely hidden. But enough about mental anguish I suffered from that evil little switch, overall this level was pretty enjoyable. It won't blow you away like some of the later levels, but it is an enjoyable town mission- and hey, who doesn't like a good town with plenty of citizens to rob blind?? It's not the most incredible town mission out there, but it's a good start.
    spoiler:
    I was expecting some really freaky crap to start happening when I walked into the weaponsmith's (due to the ambient sounds playing) but was kinda dissapointed when nothing happened....guess it's the old "Blair Witch Project" theory, the scariest things are what you don't see...

Mission 2- Lord Wellhofer
    Quality-wise, this is about on par with the first mission. Mission 1 was pretty much your average town level, and this is pretty much your average mansion raid. Not much out of the ordinary here (besides a freaky "children's room", straight out of poultregeist [sp??]) You hop from carpet to carpet over gaps of tile floor, discover a noble's dark secret, stare at the big library, yadda yadda yadda. You've played this a hundred times before, but that doesn't mean it isn't still well made and fun. It'll keep your interest and it develops the story nicely, and that's good enough for me. Note: Has another one of those damn "hidden switches", pay CLOSE ATTENTION to your surroundings- and bring some tylenol....
    Mission 3- The Hammerite Monastary
    Now for me, this is where it gets good. This mission starts with cool (and extremely fun to ghost) town and forest sections, and continues in a huge hammerite monastary-hence the title. Something about this mission just really did it for me, the whole thing was just so interesting- sneaking past cops in the shadows, creeping by angry raptor-style burricks in the wilderness, and unearthing a dark and thoroughly creepy secret in the monastary. Speaking of which, the monastary REALLY freaked me out. Not so much the monatary itself (although it was well made...) but the place *below* the monastary. The sense of dread and the dark freaky atmosphere really were done extremely well- so much so that I found myself literally shaking at one point. But then again, when it comes to anything scary, I'm a complete pansy...I mean, I still shiver whenever I pass by "Rowena's Curse" in the darkloader menu...There is one drawback to this level though. The hidden switches are back, WITH A VENGEANCE! There's only one here, but this one is real nasty. You know that annoying switch from the first level? This one would qualify as being the sinister evil twin of that switch. Not only is it uber tiny, but your hint is along the lines of "It's somewhere in the monastary".....okay.....
    Mission 4- The Cathedral
    Here's the point where the missions become completely bliss....well....almost. Okay, the plus side, THE HIDDEN SWITCHES ARE GONE!! W00T! RAISE DAH' ROOF! The down side? There is a major bug that I experienced that prevented me from finishing the mission. For some reason, the final objective (the one telling you to "escape to town") didn't tick off and I had to ctrl+alt+shift+end out of the mission. I hate doing that, I like to be greeted by a full row of green check marks after I complete a mission, seeing an empty square next to an objective has a way of making me feel deprived...Anyway, besides that this mission is great. Really, REALLY well done town section starts it off, and the Cathedral is extremely well made, as are the crypts which are creepy as hell. By the way, get used to crypts and undead, starting at mission 3 you see them A LOT. But it's alright, in my opinion, undead have a way of spicing up a thief FM. I really liked the layout of the Cathedral, it's a lot less "formulaic" then that of the monastary. Everything looks good all around, extremely well done. Just make sure you have all of your objectives you can possibly do ticked off before you ctrl+alt+shift+end out of it, you sly devil you.
    Mission 5: The Mysterious Tower
    My feelings on this mission are kinda mixed, first of all it's a very well done mission, and the Tower itself is very dark and foreboading, but to me this feels like "The Cathedral: Lite". I mean, we see a town again, and again we see a cathedral...only it's smaller- much, MUCH smaller. And again we see a crypt...only it's a smaller crypt, that is not quite as well made as the ones in the previous levels in my opinion (or maybe I was just getting sick of crypts at this point??). The tower itself isn't much, from what I remember it took 1 rope arrow to get to the top of it. In all honesty I'm being too hard on this mission, I enjoyed it a lot, and I still very much appreciate the lack of hidden switches- I just prefer the previous mission.
    Mission 6: Christmas Presents
    Now here is an excellent mission. Not only does it have that cool wintery feel to it that I love so much, but it also happens to be extremely well made, and feature some great thieving and interesting ideas.
    spoiler:
    I loved the sled ride!!!
    This mission is just good fun. It also is a nice change of pace, nice to FINALLY get away from hammerite churches and dingy zombie-filled crypts. This level is almost like a relaxing vacation before the next greuling trek into undead territory. This would be a great level to play around Christmas time, excellent "holiday season" atmosphere going on. And you gotta love the new Burricks.
    Mission 7: The Brotherhood of the Falcon
    Here it is, the final mission of the pack. In many ways, this mission is the deciding factor as to whether or not this pack is worth the download. I mean, what's a good campaign without a solid ending? Luckily, this mission manages to both tie up the storyline, AND become quite possibly the best mission in the pack. Really great architecture here, and I love all of the new creatures! Everything just has a great "run-down, unexplored, no-humans-allowed" feel to it. If you've ever played the FM "Crom's Blade" you know what I'm talking about- only here it's even more well done IMHO. Man, what else is there to say? It looks great, it's scary (understatement of the year award- here I come!!), and it's chock full of new stuff! An excellent ending to a great campaign. {edit} almost forgot to mention! This mission has one small flaw, there is a bug that will quit you to the desktop, I fixed it simply by saving before I entered the castle, and re-loading to that save after (and if) I experienced the bug....

And with that, I'm now tired enough to go to sleep. Yes, for those of you that skipped straight to the end of this post, my final opinion IS in fact, that you should download it, and yes, my knuckles ARE killing me from typing so much.
    So go leave your opinions on this FM or my review on it here if you feel like it, or just skim over my review and get downloadin', whatever. For those of you wondering why I didn't just post this in the Night Falcon thread- simple, I knew it would get overlooked due to the fact that as soon as I posted it people would skip right past it and get back to asking questions about "where that damn hidden switch" is...So yeah, hopefully it wasn't too painful of a read for those of you who actually went through the whole thing. So, I'm going to collapse now, g'night!
    Last edited by The Mike; 16th Sep 2003 at 11:08.

Mission 3 First Objective

I've read the entire thread and can't find anyone else who's had this problem - so I must be a real bonehead.

Anyway, I've gotten through the bats, and such but, I've looked everywhere and cannot find a key or switch or whatever to get into the two locked doors with the inverted red hammer imprints. I presume that the item for the first objective is behind one of these doors. I have three keys but none of them works. Help!

Griffin

spoiler:
    Take a look at the torches in the area
    I think I'm thinking of the right mission, there should be
    spoiler:
    one to frob on each side of the inaccessible area

THE V******S ... YIKES

please help me get out of the crypt!!!
    spoiler:
    i have jumped in the blood and gotten the stone...now i just need to get out of the monestary....but when i go up the stairs...i cannot get out!!! the door wont open
    PLEASE help me....i am tired of getting attacked running around looking for a way out!!!!

besides, i need to stop playing this game...but i gotta finish just this mission,,,just this one....i mean just this level,,,,i mean.........arghhhhhhhhh

Re: THE V******S ... YIKES

Originally posted by nil8hate
    please help me get out of the crypt!!!
    spoiler:
    but when i go up the stairs...i cannot get out!!! the door wont open
    Have you frobed EVERYTHING possible at the TOP ^^^ of those stairs???

spoiler:
    LOOK UP AT EVERYTHING!!!!

Ni8hate

spoiler:
    Try fobbing the extiguished torch in front of the stained glass
    spoiler:
    You may have to jump to reach it.

Krogger,

Thanks for the assist. Actually I was out of the crypts and had just missed a carried key. Done now and on to mission 4

AHHHHHHHHH.....so much better now

Thank you griffin and [BBR]_M1Tanker for your super quick replies!!! can't believe it was that simple....gotta get my nose off the ground!!!!!!!!!!!

An entire day and not one other comment? BAH! Ah well, BUMP!

I read the first two but I haven't finished the series yet, so I'm saving the rest for later. It's very nice to see a review like this and I'm sure lots of people are reading it, just not commenting.

Zalright, I was J/K with that other comment, needed something to say to boost the thread back to the top-and just writing "BUMP" is overdone. Anyway, I'm curious as to whether or not anyone else experienced the bug in the Cathedral level that I wrote about...

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast