TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: The Night Falcon (Sep. 4, 2003)

I've read it, and I'm going to download it tonight. I just wouldn't have a comment to make without having played the mission yet, and I want to finish Ominous Bequest first.

Read it!

Sluggs
    Dromed sucks!

Very nice review

I played it up until the monstery level. Then I got too tired by all the incredibly tiny, no-hint, hidden levers and just stopped. Now that I know that the maddness does not continue (or at least tappers off a little) I might start playing it again. On the other hand, I hate undead. It will be a tough decision.

It's rather disappointing that these missions have so many hidden switches and other little problems. Otherwise they would be grade A, must-see levels. The architecture is great and the gameplay is well-conceived. The plot is just starting to thicken and I would like to find out how it all turns out.

But I just can't stand the thought of searching for another one of the those d*mn tiny levers!

It definately is worth playing, no matter how you feel about undead IMO. If you REALLY don't feel like searching for the hidden switch in the monastary the spoiler below gives its location (I'm doing this just to give you a little extra incentive to play through the campaign...plus I hate hidden switches also )
    spoiler:
    Go through the entrance of the catherdral and down the hallway, from there, take a right into another corridor. Here you'll see a large stained glass window with a picture of a hammer or something like that on it. Search behind the candles below the bottom right of the window VERY carefully...(it's on the side of the pillar there).

Well, since you insist . . . .

I've decided to give it another shot. I really do think that the mission pack as a whole is very well done. I would hate to miss out on good missions just because of frustration over one aspect of a level.

Now to brace myself for an onslaught by the undead!

I like the review, I rather agreed with the evaluations you gave of the levels. It's interesting that our opinions match rather well since I don't like to ghost. I make value judgements and kill. No people but, dramatic pause....All the undead must die! Hah!..... Followed by Conan O'Brien style maniacal laugh. The vampires in this mission were the first real challenge I've had for a while in the kill without damage game though. Especially the
    spoiler:
    group below the monastery. There must have been eight or nine of them.

This is driving me nuts

I'm on mission 3 the monastary one when i get to the crypts with the bats and vampires,it just freezes,i see a few people have had the same problem as well. It was a bit choppy at the start,but it has been fine since the crypt area,the first two missions have run fine. ive tried everything restarted computer,load it on quick save,loaded from the save menu.It's giving me the downright shits.

I could ctrl+alt+shift+end but without the gemstone and the scepter the last two objectives,i cant go onto the next level dont know what to do.
    Add me as a friend on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/shanemullan
    Karras (Rust In Peace)

8 or 9!? Are you serious?? When I ghosted that area it seemed like there were twenty-something...

Taking a break
    I LOVED this pack! Even with the switches. Christine always puts lots of loot and nice snacks for hungry thieves!

I'm with you John . The vampires provided a welcome challenge and the only hard to find switches were later on in the mission - probably due to my own fatigue . Many areas of this mission are a visual masterpiece , it was a pleasure to play .

YOU CANNOT ESCAPE

ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY LOVED THIS MISSION!!!! : ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY LOVED THIS MISSION!!!! would probably have gone nuts without some major hints on the levers and switches....but i loved the theme and the ability to immerse!

Statistics

I've just completed the fifth mission in this Night Falcon series. Terrific work so far creator(s).

But I'm running across a discrepancy with the pockets picked statistic. (edit)I've edited this to include all non-zero statistics: Time;Loot/Max;Pockets/Max;Locks(/edit)

1. A Shopping Walk ...................... 3:29:40;7,975/8,809;11/12;13
    2. Lord Wellhofer ........................ 3:00:50;8,403/8,915;8/9;4
    3. The Hammerite Monastery ........ 3:42:31;7,584/8,514;7/14;10
    4. The Cathedral ......................... 2:18:21;6,262/6,527;2/9;10
    5. The Mysterious Tower .............. 2:08:47;5,015/6,165;11/18;13
    6. Chrismas Presents ................... 1:59:49;6,224/6,781;7/14;18
    7. The Brotherhood of the Falcon ... 2:06:08;4,391/5,101;0/6;2

Of course the maximum may be overstated by one unless the author overroad the in-game counter. So, I've gotten all the available pockets in the first two missions.

Has anyone been able to maximize the pockets picked in missions 3 through 5? I usually make an effort to get as many pockets picked as possible and these numbers are bothersome.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Old Man; 22nd Sep 2003 at 14:24.

The only fault I have with these missions is the one that's been mentioned before , the sheer frustration of trying to find those tiny switches , often when you have no clue that the're there in the first place. And why would Garrett be searching all over his own house for switches that he must know about otherwise how could he......well you get the picture.Having said that it is the only fault; Christine's missions are always a treat to play and these are great , as long as you've got a walkthrough handy!

Old Man,

I also noticed the same discrepancies, but I got less pockets than you in the first three missions.

1) 10/12
    2) 7/9
    3) 5/14
    4) 2/9
    5) 11/18
    6) 5/14
    7) 0/6

Knowing you, Old Man, you have them all. The numbers cannot be correct, unless burricks and raptors carry items. It could be that invisible keys carried by AI to open doors are being counted.

In addition, I was short approximately 500-1000 loot on every mission.

I'm editing translations of Christine's walkthroughs for her as I play through and up to Mission 4, which I've just finished, all the loot is accounted for in them. Can't say about the pockets though.

Hello everyone...I'm in Mis #4 and I have a copy of the walkthru and read the posts. I cannot understand what to do with the ''Hammer" to get into the crypt area I've tried different things but doesn't seem to be the right combination. I unlocked the two doors with the Mage's key and went to get hammer. If I unlocked them first, then the puzzle doesn't work or what? Where and how exactly am I supposed to put/throw this Hammer? It is an excellent FM series but alas I have to play it on a less capable machine while my more powerful system is still in the shop. Consequently it is very very choppy and almost gave up playing...but decided to struggle through for awhile. However if I start having crashing problems (so far NOT) I'll try to continue but otherwise may have to give it up

In the meantime if someone would please help explain what to do with the Hammer I would appreciate it very much Ta and Good Hunting!

ps: Thanks for tip about Oil, Blazing etc. had no idea really that they were useable. Thought I was saving them for something in the next mission...like some of the other items we've had to do
    It's not how you win, it's how you play the game! HAVE FUN!

The Fire Eater,
    spoiler:
    Mission 3 - The Hammerite Monastery seems to have a low frame rate for many players. Don't sweat it. Just persevere. The next mission runs better. As far as the hammer is concerned, here's how it's used. Behind each of those two locked doors is a stained glass window. The obvious thing to do is throw the hammer at the glass. But all that's needed is to carry the hammer close to the window. Only the one to the right of the altar opens.
    (edit)I'ved edited this post to refer to the correct mission above.(/edit)
    Last edited by Old Man; 21st Sep 2003 at 06:27.

Thanks Old Man...however it seems I didn't check the page before on this thread from where I started and did find the answer...duh But now I'm in a different situation. I got into the first little room OK directly across from entry. I tried to go right but first attempted to put out first torch (even though I had put out other torches/candle nearby there was still light enough from that torch that when I needed to get close enough to shoot it, the Bat saw me) I could tell I was being attacked by the blood coming from me so I tried to hurry back into the stairwell area to hide. Apparently there was blood still in the air as it glowed in a red mist and was discovered by a Vamp. So then he started a search. I then tried to backup further up the stairwell and he came after me. I then tried using the gas potion on him (threw it down at him actually) it didn't knock him out. I then tried the Blazing potion and threw that down, nada...he kept coming, I kept backing up till I found my back against the first corner wall, so I pulled out the Dagger and started slashing. He did take some damage but still didn't put him down Then there was a puff of smoke kindof and I thought I had finally killed it/him...but no and so I kept slashing. He finally turned into a Bat but then I'm not sure what happened next but it seems like a fire bomb was thrown at me (I did see a ball coming), explosion and I died. After reload, I decided that was going to be next to impossible for me to get out of that area/get that torch out so I couldn't be seen, etc. so I went the other way having put out the other candle on that coffin already. I have sucessfully gotten around that area and used the "torch switch" in that one room. Now I'm in the other room again next to it and on my way back to starting room (more or less). Is there another way for me to get to the other side so I can get to the other switch? If I can get there...getting the Septer, etc. where then is the opening for that Grave. Is it in the same room where the switch is that I used first or elsewhere? The walkthru has me confused a bit and especially since I have started the opposite way from what it said to do. It just seems to be such that you can't get by the Bat in that first area as I have it as dark as I can make it but when trying to put out that first torch in that long hallway so you can get to the second one...you can't help but get lit up Then you have to get Garrett's bow in the right postion and get him at the right angle to hit it in the first place

So how do I work this around to get the next phase (s) as I've tried to explain it? Thanks very much to whoever Ta and Good Hunting!

ps: This is a difficult game and several difficult puzzles I think...but a good game even so And as far as the slow downs...yes I've read about them but mine is also due to the less powerful system I'm playing on now too. I expect I would also suffer some slowdowns on my other one if I were on it but far less I'm sure

Ha, ha...I agree about having the use of a walkthru for this thing Many puzzles I don't see how they could be worked out without some kind of help? Perhaps some of you are clever enough to figure out what goes where and how, etc. but for me, I would have had no ideas at all? But other than that...making it thru most of the way without too much difficulty more or less

I'm only in the latter part of Miss. #4 and I don't like undeads either...and now I can add Vamps and Bats! I was doing Ok in the Crypt area in the first room (where you go straight across from entry) and then I tried to go right (after I had put out torches/candles in the immediate areas) but when I tried to put out first torch in that long hallway..I was still lit up in order to get Garrett/bow in alignment to shoot it and Bat attacked. Tried getting away back up into Stairwell to hide but there was somekind of bloodmist that stayed in the air from me and when Vamp came into room, made the discovery and started search. I tried several things to fight him off, gas potion/blazing and finally Dagger...bottom line...I lost and died So you can keep your Vampires/Bats and all I want to do now is get the last things done so I can get the teewaddends out of here! Ta and Good Hunting!

The Fire Eater,
    spoiler:
    I can't comment on the bats or vampires since I was able to get through this crypt unnoticed. However, as far as getting through the crypt is concerned, I do recall having to fire my Water arrows while leaning in order to take advantage of the darkness to remain unseen. That is, position yourself so you're in low light, ready your bow, then lean so you can see the light you want to douse and shoot. Usually you'll remain darker while leaning than if you were directly in the light. I eventually doused every candle and torch in the crypt. That was my solution to getting to the other side of the crypt.

Now, as far as the second torch for access to the crypt exit is concerned I was letting the mission creator cue me. I'd noticed the tattered cloth hanging above the doorways. Then I noticed there are a few of these with no door below them. I assumed these were secret doorways and that all I had to do was find the secret switches to open them. In fact, in this case, the secret doorway is actually two doorways, one beside each of the two torches that need to be turned. So, when you find and turn the second torch both of these secret doorways will open. And the torches are right there by the doorways so you shouldn't have any difficulty noticing where the doorways are when you turn the second torch.
    Last edited by Old Man; 21st Sep 2003 at 06:50.

Originally posted by The Fire Eater ... however it seems I didn't check the page before on this thread from where I started and did find the answer ... duh ...
    Some players want to ask questions while not reading the preceeding posts in order to not spoil the rest of a mission. Yes, we all try to use spoiler text to minimize the risk but these spoilers are not always well identified so it is quite possible to read something you don't want to. So, I try to be civil and just answer the question again when questions are asked that have been answered earlier in the thread. Alternately the player can start a new thread but this clutters the forum.

Hi Old Man...thanks for the replies... In case you don't know, this is Huntress from Eidos So yes, I know about leaning and shooting. I tried that as well from a different position for this one torch but couldn't angle myself enough at the time to get a good shot at it and I was fairly close to the edge of doorway (which also got me lit up some too). Guess I'll just have to try again and see if I can manage it. I've been shooting torches/candles all over as I can get from area to area and have been doing OK so far except for that one time with that Bat

OK, I noticed the rags but didn't really mean anything to me, so at least now I know where to look and I guess from what your saying is that I can enter from either side as long as both switches get frobbed...that's good, so I don't have to worry about double backs.

Well reading spoilers as such doesn't bother me so if I don't want to read something that I'm not interested in at the time, I just continue scanning for what I do want Also most ppl seem to be ahead of me anyway, LOL Thanks again and Good Hunting!

Christine, thank you, this mission is awesome! My nightmares are now filled with the mad squeeking of vampire bats!

I am stuck in level 4, the cathedral. Found everything except the bracelet. There is a window with frobbable wooden shutters in a building beside the cathedral that looks like you should be able to climb in, but i have tried crates and rope arrows, and cant get in there. Help please!

Originally posted by The Fire Eater
    Ta and Good Hunting!
    I didn't know and there was your usual good natured final thought. Duh!

Are you sure you're not on Mission 5, The Mysterious Tower? I think that's the one with the bracelet objective. If that's the one, then you need to get into Lord Hafner's from down in the sewers.
    spoiler:
    Go all the way upstairs to the room where there's a little balcony at the top of some stairs. Climb up into the rafters there and look around.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast