TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: UW3

Thoric

UW3

It's been far too long... we've been asking for UW3 for over seven years, and no one is answering our prayers. EA/Origin is releasing the "final" Ultima game this month, so it looks like our hope has run out there. Looking Glass is telling us that if we want UW3, we'll have to bug the Ultima guys. What are we to do?

Anyone who's played UW1 can tell that it was not originally designed to be part of the "Ultima" series. I can bet that the original story line had nothing to do with the Stygian Abyss and the eight virtues. If you look at the dates on UW2, you can see that it was made only a few months later, and is filled with "Ultima" references.

Why am I bringing this up? Well... if UW1 turned out to be an amazing game without being designed from the ground up to be an "Ultima" game... then I don't see why we can't expect Looking Glass to come up with an "unofficial" sequel to the UW series that would really be a sequel to the original storyline of UW1.

...and if neither Looking Glass nor EA/Origin is willing to satiate our need for UW3, why don't we get a bunch of people together to make our own open-source sequel of our own?

We could start with a wish list in here for UW3.

Alun Bestor

Perhaps an examination is in order of what exactly made the Underworlds so damn good; because they are objectively very good games, even today, and outclass many later 'dungeon romps' that use a similar style. I think a game that followed the Underworld 'formula', whatever that is, would be an excellent and successful game in today's market.
    So, what is the 'Underworld Formula'?

------------------
    I got myself a signature and a webpage, now all I need is a plan!
    uber.net, your wonder-why-I-went-there site

Thoric

It appears to me that the magic formula involved in UW, was that obviously a lot of
    blood, sweat and tears went into the game by
    people who had a vision, and weren't jumping
    on a hype bandwagon.

Asside from that, I think the magic formula involves three key points:

1) Detail. A great deal of effort went into the smallest of details. You could look at
    _anything_ and get a description, and most everything had a state. (Freshness of food, condition of armor/weapon, mood of NPCs).
    The story was well detailed, and played an important role. This leads onto point two...

2) Immersion. It's the little details that make the game immersive. The digital sound effects in UW2 made it much more immersive. The mood music was griping and eerie. I could go on and on about the 3D engine... and the user interface was very well done no matter what anyone says. You could do almost everything with the mouse and not have to memorize all kinds of keystrokes.
    Sure it took some getting used to, but soon I was whipping around twisty passages with more dexterity than I could in real life

3) Interaction. You get better NPC interaction in UW/UW2 than you do with some people in multiplayer games. You could actually have conversations with them, get sent on quests, make them mad, insult them, make them happy, etc. You weren't just going around killing everything... if you did, you'd be screwed because they might have had something important to tell you.
    You could also interact with just about every object in the game... buttons, switches, pullchains, plants, trash, etc. In almost every other game I've seen (this goes for current titles) the scenery is full of stuff you can't interact with. Games like Arena, Daggerfall, Lands of Lore, etc, drove me nuts when I tried to click on things that did nothing when they looked interesting. In UW you could interact with most everything, and if you couldn't interact with it, you could get a description of what you were clicking on no matter what it was.

4) I know I said three... but I didn't mention a semi non-linear storyline. Games with a linear storyline tend to really suck. Games with a completely non-linear storyline give you way too much freedom without being nudged in the right direction, and you can spend months without a clue of what you're supposed to be doing (Daggerfall). UW had the perfect mix... you had a set of goals, which each involved some sub-goals, and you had a good deal of freedom of what order you had to do things in, and could go back and ones you missed later. UW2 more more linear than UW1... in which you could only get to certain worlds after you had completed certain goals... which was a little annoying at times.

5) Heck... make it five.
    Direction. Obviously the project had good direction, and a well know common vision. It was well pieced together, and is quite evident that the director and producer were actually doing work