TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UW Moments

Mr Croft

UW Moments

I'm putting this here because I would like to hear all of your great, funny, silly, scary, & any other type of moments you can think of.

I didn't repost the old thread that was started by Marcus T because I wanted to start out fresh. Marcus T, where are you man? The UW 1&2 forums need you.

I don't have any moments of my own yet... unless you consider running from everything because of playing SS & Thief way to much.

------------
    I am the hope of the Universe.
    I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace.
    I am protector of the innocent.
    I am light in the darkness.
    I am truth.
    Ally to good, Nightmare to you!

- Goku

Thoric

Ultima Underworld I & II were full of "moments"...

The spookiest part of UW1, was when I first encountered a "headless". It was a pretty freaky looking creature, and it came straight for me with it's arms stretched out, and sharp clawed hands swiping at me...
    Pretty spooky!

Also, going after that "creature" in the mines (the beholder) was kinda scary too.

The UW2 moments were the most memorable because of the voice of the Guardian parts.

Remember when you fell into the Guardian's trap in Killorn Keep and heard the evil laughing of the Guardian?

Everyone one of the few little sections where you'd hear the Guardian's voice I'd get a shiver down my spine.

As for silly... how about when you first noticed that in UW1 on level 5 that the "zanite" mine full of ghosts was a 3D Pac-Man maze?
    Or the real 3D Q-Bert part of the Ethereal Void?

I wonder what classic video game we'll find in UW3?

Mr Croft

Thanks for sharing some of your moments with us Thoric.

One more thing though... & I know some of you guys out there have some. Does anybody have some stupid or just plain dumb moments they would like to share with us? You know, those moments when you did something & then asked yourself:

"What the HELL was I thinking?!"

or

"Did I really do that?!"

Also, I would like to hear those moments where you did something stupid or dumb & just by plain dumb luck alone... it worked & you would say:

"Did that just happen, I'm not dead?"

or

"ROFLMAO, I can't believe it worked!"

Come on now people... don't be shy. Share those moments with all of us, please.

------------
    I am the hope of the Universe.
    I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace.
    I am protector of the innocent.
    I am light in the darkness.
    I am truth.
    Ally to good, Nightmare to you!

- Goku

Cyber Assimilated

The best moment in UW1 happened when i was
    in the seventh level's crypts plundering things. Well when i was taking the black sword this Shadow Beast comes right behind me
    causing some nasty damage and a panic status.
    Tyball's "failed experiments" chambers with all the undead doesn't lose much to the previous. Falling in the pit traps with the
    dread spiders appearing was yet another panic causing ever.

UW2? The Ethereal Void is always a nice place to visit. Unfortunately the 2nd part did not have as good surprises as the 1st part it's still the world's 6th best game on my list.

Bart

Those spiders were too damn frightning...
    I hate spiders...eoqkokf...
    especially ones as big as me shield!!...

UW2's Ice Cavern snowballs were hilarious...if only that level was multiplayable..hehehe

Gotta run..

-Bart-
    "Your song...is not ooouuurrrsss!!"

Microwave Oven

One moment I remember from UW2 was when I first talked to the Trilikhun--those cat creatures on the floating citadel.
    I suddenly realized that the name (and their story) was a subtile reference to the Kilrathi of Wing Commander.
    What I would like to know is if there were any other inside jokes put in the game. I haven't played it in so long that I am beginning to forget a lot of the details.

------------------
    Kids-Just Say NO To Slugs!

chickenlittle

Hi If you havnt learned from the other post on this forumn I am now the moderator and king. That is all.

------------------
    did that shadow just move?oh well.Had to much coffea this mornin im twitchy as hell.tahhrum,tahhrum,tatarum.

Alun Bestor

There was Garg, the troll from UW1 who appeared in UW2 in a dreamstate in the Ethereal Void (he still insisted on calling you Rodriguez...)
    Nystul had a copy of Madonna's "Sex" in a locked chest. Dirty boy...
    Other than that I can't think of anything.

MikeM

There was the time I accidently threw
    my jeweled longsword (gotten from Rodrick)
    into the lava. I nearly killed myself!
    My brother couldn't complete the game
    because Judy fell into the lava and died.
    He used my character instead.
    When I first saw the Slasher of Veils,
    I foolishly attacked it. It proceeded to
    take my head off in one hit. My heart was
    pounding, literally.
    My favorite weapon, a battle axe, broke
    right when I needed it, at level 7 near
    the guard posts. I had to use a worn
    cudgel until I found a replacement.
    I filled a room up with summoned creatures
    and fired a acid glob into the mob. Chaos erupted! Hilarious!
    When I found the black sword at level 7 among the treasure, the shadow beast attacked
    from behind. I eventually killed it with hit
    and run attacks. I ended up killing it in
    the goblin guardpost in the prisons. Seemingly took forever, and nearly destroying
    my mace.

That's all I can think of now.

Dangus

I still vividly remember the deserted places of UW2, like the ICE Caves, Scintilis Mage Academy, and most of all The Tomb Of Praecor Loth. Those places honestly conveyed a great amount of emotion. I really felt like I was in a sad lonely place laid to waste by the cruel guardian. I remember the twisted halls of The Flying Castle, and the Goblin Tower with that hillarious troll. "Hallo Gobbies! It is time for cleaning that is done in spring!"

Marcus T

Just sending this to the top, go for it, give us your best moments!

zdim

My favorite things about Underworld were:
    1. Tossing my moonstone across chasms to teleport there.
    2. Arranging and maintaining my three apartments on three different levels. Cozy places they were... ; )

Jazar

Ahh... the Underworlds. I've got so many favorable moments in both games but I'd have to say the one that stands out the most would be in UW2's Pits of Carnage, with all the villany and cool arenas. Walking down the halls and suddenly the Guardian speaks, "This world is MINE, do you like what you see?" That has been the only time I was ever really pissed at a villan in a game.

Another moment would also be in UU2 with in the void. I was playing really late at night and this whole level always freaks me out with its wierdness when suddenly I slid down into the guardian's mouth and ended up in this maze, where these stick people popped out and began attacking me. There I was running frantically looking for an exit (and not finding one) while these stick people were chasing me. I swear I just about lost my sanity at that point. :P

------------------
    Jazar
    Ultima Horizons
    www.allgaming.com

Marcus T

Glad to hear you're okay at this point though, Jazar
    You're talking a lot about UUW2, is that you're personal favourite of the two?

Jazar

Heh. Yes, I'm fine.

Underworld favorite? Yes, I'd have to say that I tend to favor the second one more. But that doesn't mean that the first one wasn't one of the best games I've ever played . It just seemed like LG used the UW1 as the launch pad and really took off in W2. All the compelling worlds and the amazingly well thought out plot really made it seem like LG had been making 3D RPGs for centuries.

But if you want a UW1 moment I won't hesitate to answer. It would have to be in the first level, while being chased by a goblin, when I accidentally fell off a bridge into the water. I was about to give in and restore a previous savegame but I was compelled to just let nature take its course and journey onward. I never will forget the experience I felt for the first time, swimming in an underground river, lost without any way of getting back to where I was, and just exploring my new surroundings. Where I am so used to expecting railway level designs, Underworld 1 showed me realism, and ultimate immersion.

It's sad most games don't try to emulate that.

------------------
    Jazar
    Ultima Horizons
    www.allgaming.com

Marcus T

Well, Looking Glass studios are good at creating realism and excitement. I'm currently playing SShock 2, and I have to pinch myself many times to make sure it's just a game

So UUW2 is just a little bit better than the first in your opinion? I haven't played the sequel, and I've just begun playing the first. It's nice hearing I have something to look forward to. In most cases, the sequel is worse than the original.

[This message has been edited by Marcus T (edited January 11, 2000).]

CocoClown

Most stupid thing that I did? In UW2, probably falling into the water about 5 times while trying to get the blackrock gem in that ice place.

In UW1, I spent hours trying to figure out how to get the blade of Caliburn (I think that was its name). I found the area, and kept using that spell which allows your vision to float through walls and things (I think it was called 'wizard eye' or something). Looked for stairs, doors, everything. It was only by pure chance that I 'used' the vines near the room.

Sorry that I can't be more specific with details, but it's been ages since I played these great games.

I never did finish UU1. I couldn't find a damn flute when I needed one. Looked everywhere I did.

Someone else did something very stupid with my savegame. Killed everybody in the place with the Knights (I forget the exact name of the group, but it has the bloke who wants the stone cutter). He was on a rabid hunt for runes, and thought that if he killed everybody, he'd find them all. Twat.

Suphex

One of the most interesting things that happened to me in the UW1/2 world (and there are MANY) is the following. If you remember in UW2 you couldn't cast level 4 + spells in the area you started off in, because of the guardians prescense. I remember i wanted to get into Lord Britishs chest (the one in his room) so badly, so I did the following. Since you couldn't cast 'open' in that world, I went to the world where its all ice. I then cast 'open' and when you cast it, theres only a little icon that pops up, you have to direct it to the chest you wish to open. I then walked all the way back, through the dimension, back to lord britishs room with this icon, and opened his chest. Inside i found the weirdest things, there was an eyeball! I'm not joking, it was all red and bloody, and there was also a note, but for the life of me i can't remember what was on this note, only that it was very scandalous. If anyone remembers, please post because i'm dying to find out. again sorry for the lack of details, my memory of this game escapes me. In ending i'd just like to say that i think uw1/2 were amazing games, and i'd buy a uw3 in a second.

Rolander

Hi,

just to say that when I played UW1, I used to bash down wood doors when I couldn't find the appropriate keys... When I realise that I would damage my weapon when using it to bash doors, I ended up using the fist. Man, sure took a long, long time to open doors in that manner

Until I found and got the Sword of Truth fixed. It seemed to be indestructible, so I happily used it for subsequent door bashing; pity many of the doors in the lower levels are 'massive'.

------------------
    Looking down at a seemingly empty
    area containing a recharge station

"There's GOT to be a trap..."

Rygar

I'm playing it again after many years ( that sucker is what - almost 9 years old now?). Took me 2 hours to configure my system for proper base RAM. It's been a long time. Had to remember stuff long forgotten. It was kinda funny - for the last few months, I've had an urge to play UW2 again. I was going to order it, and it looked like the only way to get it was to order. The Ultimate RPG Archives. And lo and behold, while rooting around in my basement, I discovered a gold box EA Classic of... Underworld I & II !!! Glory! I guess years back I bought it, and never cracked it. What a find!
    I don't usually get in to cheats and hints, but I really enjoyed using my Gems of Enlightenment hint book on this. You read about this special sword or that awesome wand, and you went on a quest for it - didn't seem at all like cheating, as it enhanced the experience - for me anyway. Well written hint book that kept you in the spirit of things. Anybody else have this book?
    I have long since forgotten most of the game, so its an adventure all over again. I've just finished the Academy. One thing I enjoyed, was discovering the Dagger that Altara gave me in Killorn Keep to kill the "listener" in Britannia (supposedly allows me to walk through fire barriers) was in actuality a Dagger of Unsurpassed Accuracy! AND, because it was essential to the game, it was programmed to not degrade! If you used it immediately to kill the ‘listener", it disappears as soon as you kill it. And I noticed that regular weapons took damage and degraded very quickly if you fought monsters too much beyond your level. But if you COULD kill them, you could rise in level very quickly. Sooo... I ran around it did as much as I could with this fabulous weapon. Mind you, the Reaper on L3 was still impossible - the damage from the dagger was not enough when factoring the Reapers incredible armor rating. Something like 4 dagger damage minus 25 armor rating = 21 points short of even hope of a hit.
    And... I'm not sure, but... I think I got scammed by that women in the kitchen that offered me Boots of Fire Protection! Maybe I lost ‘em in the shuffle, but I think they were just regular leather boots! Can anyone confirm this? Wench.

And hey - I need help with 2 things. 1 - does anyone know how to use this edition WITHOUT the CD? Everytime I click on a bloody wall, my system paused as the CD spins up! Driving me nuts. I came close - the game runs, but everything other than the window is all rainbow colored and un-recognizable - and the automap doesn't work.

2. - after about 15 minutes of play, the digitized sound craps out, and crackles. I reboot the machine, and all is well for another 15 min. I have a SB Live Value running SB 16 emulation.

JOURNEY ONWARD...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rygar (edited January 28, 2000).]

Rygar

Hmm. I guess nobody does Underworld anymore. It IS a little retro I guess. Retro. Retro's? Any Privateer fans out here?

But I digress. Seriously, I would give my Sword of Stone Strike to not play with this annoying sound bailout and CD-access. But, I suspect I may be done it today. Just finished the Tomb of Praecor Loth. Was chock full of undead goodness. Was kind of funny. You know that room with all the skeletons? Top right? Well, I was pretty much invinceable to them, and just stood in a doorway and sliced them down. Good for XP, albeit really slowly at this point. Altara's tip on the spell to enchant your own stuff was awesome.

------------------
    You see some spacey twinkles

Dangus

I remember when I first got the ability to enchant items in UUW2, that really was so cool! I figured out that time doesn't pass the same in Britainia as it does in the other worlds, and it actually varies somewhat depending on what world you go into. The ethereal void I see no evidence of time passing at all, in fact, maybe it's just my game, but when I sleep in the ethereal void, and then check my gem, it says it's still the same day as it was when I entered the void. Wierd stuff. So anyway, I find a safe place to enter the void and I just sit there enchanting stuff, not getting old, and not losing any time in Britainia! I used saves and reloads to make all my weapons and armor of unsurpassed whatever(protection for armor, and damage usually for weapons). Then, after I got all magicked up, I went and thinned out the ranks of the Gaurdian's footsoldiers in the Pits Of Carnage. Even when I would recieve a jarring blow from an enemy, it would do like 2-4 damage tops, and that happened rarely. It was all good until I hit 47,000 some experience and my carrying capacity suddenly changed to 3 stones.

------------------
    Eat your veggies(www.dopefish.com)
    Also, sign the Underworld 3 petition! (www.ttlg.com)
    And then, visit my website, http://www.txconnect.com/thealcove/

Rygar

That really is an obscenely large # of XP ! What level did you hit? I finished the game with 12,200 (level 15 druid), and I was pretty much invincible at the end. Really was no contest - my Sword of Stone Stone Strike (I chose wisely) made sure no one fought back, and with my seriously magic plate armour, even Mors couldn't land a hit. I saved near the end, and dispatched her and her one guard in various horrible ways. A single "smite foe" spell is all it really takes to send her on her way. Flame Wind was fun, but I think she is immune to it. When I attacked her in her barracks just before I got her spell book, Flame Wind did quite a number on those guards. I portaled through the locked gate, but the guards eventually found a way in (but not right away). Quite the speech she gives if you ask the right thing (how can you say such a thing) about you being her twin. Man, she was cold. Even asked me if I wanted to come along as she invaded my world! Shameless hussie.

FYI, the old "Spellsword" route makes a killer character. Kept DEX as low as possible and balanced the rest in STR and INT - quite the power combo. In the end I had 90 MANA, , and maxed LORE, CASTING, MANA, SWORD (Thanks, Lobar), all at 30.

Also, when I went back to re-live the last few moments, I noticed that Altara left me a nice little note before the flew the coop...er, keep. Nice girl. Bit of a workaholic.

And was there anybody besides me that just wanted to slay those damn cats who kept getting in your way? Sheesh - once, one attacked me for reasons I don't know (I had a weapon readied as I was running?), but I took great please in snuffing its furry lights out.

Little things I noticed - on the third level or so, the notes left were from characters that also made it in to System Shock 1! The ones with the slug problems in their office. One was Sabo, the other I forget. Cool!

------------------

Dangus

The maximum level is 16th, which I made, and then exceeded by so much it was rediculous, but this bug with the 47,000 XP is really a problem. I wanna keep slaughtering my foes dammit! but it's hard when you can only carry three stones
    Damn this life, nothing is ever made easy.

Rygar

Do you remember how much XP is needed to hit 16? Does it vary depending on character type? I noticed the "Shepherd" has fewer skill points awarded that any other. I wonder if it is compensated for by faster levelups?

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast