TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Get your jet-packing fix here...

Shadowcat

Get your jet-packing fix here...

For those of you who miss jet-packing around a gorgeous landscape with big weapons, check out "Giants: Citizen Kabuto" -- the first third of the game has you playing as the high-tech Meccs who go everywhere with their jet-packs. Lots of fun!!

Of course, vague Terra Nova nostalgia for one third of the game isn't much of a reason to buy it, but it might be additional reason to give it a try. I've just finished that first third, and so far I've had an absolute blast... If the rest of the game is as good, it will be an absolute stunner.

It's also one of the most beautiful games I've ever played (check the system requirements, though.)

Oh, and most of the between-mission cut-scenes are hilarious! (I figure that when two of your Meccs are named Gordon and Bennett, you know the developers have the right attitude

------------------
    --
    Shadowcat
    One of Many

[This message has been edited by Shadowcat (edited December 26, 2000).]

Daxim

Can you supply a link to the official site for us?

Shadowcat

Official:
    http://www.interplay.com/giants/index2.html
    http://www.planetmoon.com/

Fan:
    http://www.planetmooncentral.com/
    http://www.3dactionplanet.com/giants/

------------------
    --
    Shadowcat
    One of Many

[This message has been edited by Shadowcat (edited December 28, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Shadowcat (edited December 28, 2000).]

Shadowcat

Oh, and in case it caused additional confusion, 'Meccs' is short for Meccaryns (one of the playable species in the game). There are no Mechs or Mecha in the game. The Meccs do wear PBA though

Shadowcat

Having finished it, I'll also point out that the single-player game is certainly on the short side. But, by and large, it's a case of quality over quantity. There's a lot of glorious things to see and do in Giants. There's the occasional dull moment (a series of races, mainly) and I've yet to try out the multi-player.

If you're not gaming on a tight budget (and to have a machine capable of playing it smoothly, this is definitely not the case) I say it's well worth buying!

Also, I believe Planet Moon are going to release at least one batch of extra missions, so there should be at least a little more to see (once they've rested up from spending three years making it!)

Daxim

What? No demo available? I'm not going to buy a game (I would have to order it, making it nearly impossible to give it back) without building an opinion through a demo.

Shadowcat

hmm... looks like you're right.

I'm sure there will be a demo in due course, and in fact I'd definitely recommend waiting for it if you're unsure whether your system is up to the task -- it's quite the resource hog.

I'd recommend at least a P400 and probably 128MB RAM. It runs as smooth as I could wish for on my Athlon 800 with a somewhat-aging Voodoo 2, but a better video card will also pay dividends. (I'm missing some visual effects by using a V2.)

[This message has been edited by Shadowcat (edited January 02, 2001).]

Daxim

Just completed the demo. I like the gameplay, the fact that several ways can be taken to the goal. I was positively surprised when suddenly the terrain deformed in the third mission, because I did not expect that.
    Playing it with all graphic options enabled on my machine (iPIII 500 MHz, 64 MB RAM and ATI Rage 128 (32 MB)) makes it a nice 4 fps slideshow. It's a pity that I have to turn it all off and reduce the view distance to half to make the game fluid, because it looks really beautiful like Unreal. Other gripes: no support for the mouse scrollwheel, no difficulty levels. As the demo is based on the retail game, it seems not likely that these features will be added with a patch. *sigh*
    Conclusion: I'm undecided. I'll wait and see whether the game pops up in a shop near me.

davpod

I would recommend it as someone who bought it without waiting for the demo. The lack of difficulty level isn't too much of a problem. It really is glorius (although I do have all the graphical detail on full) and it was just a breath of fresh air for me. There's tons of variety in there and despite what Shadowcat says about the single player game being short, it's taken me a while and I'm still not finished it (I suppose I must just be crap).

Anyway, probably the biggest mark against it (imo) is the lack of an in-game save (and the slightly suspect AI). This is not really a noticeable fault early-on but when I got to the base-building levels I found that it really did cause me to gnash my teeth in frustration.

Overall though, it's cracking. And playing as Kabuto is great if you feel like smashing stuff... Which, let's face it, we all do sometimes...

Shadowcat

Yep, you have to get yourself into the character of Kabuto, and then it's absolutely brilliant.

If you don't get in character, it may seem a little boring. The fun is just in being that big that you can do whatever the hell you want to. (As long as it involves wholesale destruction, of course

My favourite thing:

- Find a building you don't like, a decent distance from you.
    - Power up your adrenaline.
    - RUN towards it.
    - As you get close, leap into the air (remember to target it as you jump to get the right distance.)
    - At the height of your leap, execute a huge mid-air belly-flop on top of it
    - Get up and roar your lungs out at any surviving spectators.
    - Look satisfied with yourself

The running and jumping just an example of the 'being in character' that I'm talking about. It doesn't cause any more damage, but damn it's fun

------------------
    --
    Shadowcat
    One of Many

[This message has been edited by Shadowcat (edited February 12, 2001).]

Uncia

I agree, the game is wonderful. Just got Kabuto to full-size and it's fuuuuuun.
    ...just wish offspring control'd be faster. Ah well, maybe in the patch. Or I actually have to go and read themanual to figure it out fully [lord forbid ;].
    Ah well, might aswell as here- can you control your offspring ina more efficing way than "point to offpsring, hold control button, point to target, release"? Because when your targer is teenie-tiny, you lose more energy aiming at it than you would by charging at it yourself. Mmm. charging. Stomping. Yeeees. >

Let us see if I can remember my pass from over a year back now... ...ah bloody `ell, correct password, wrong nick. *g*

Shadowcat

The bad news is (unless the patch changes things) it's far better to ignore the offspring altogether (apart from perhaps sending each one after a different turret before you start fighting, or some such.)

As you've found, it's more trouble than it's worth trying to give them targets in mid-fight.

*Supposedly* if you manually feed something to one of them, they will then go after those things on their own. Don't be surprised if it doesn't seem to work, though. Offspring seem rather broken on the whole, sadly.

Yellomutha

The sad thing is playing through the game on my 800mhz p3 dell xps b makes it got 30 to 35 fps only...Really weak, yes but its hella fun, especially multiplayer, where you can play kabuto, reaper, mecc matches...Its fun to take down Kabuto with a vast assortment of weapons. If you have the power then buy the game, its fun.