TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: V12 engine

Shadowcat

V12 engine

http://www.garagegames.com/index.php...ology&page=faq

If there was ever a chance for people to make an all-new Terra Nova, this might be it. Essentially Garage Games will be licensing the Tribes 2 engine for $100 (yes, one hundred)

It would be an immense amount of work, and I don't suppose it will really happen, but just imagine... at that price it's almost worth getting the code for the hell of it (which I suspect is part of GG's expectations for making money from this

------------------
    --
    Shadowcat
    One of Many

-_-

I was thinking the same thing. It's only $100, why the hell not?

Saam

Maybe that Terra Nova 2000 project that Abdiel always wanted to do could be a reality...

Abdiel

Alas, TN2000 was just not meant to be, I think.

On the plus side, I'm going back to school in the fall, so I'm slipping back out of real life for a while. And to learn computer programming, no less. . .

------------------
    Abdiel
    Lesser Forum God
    TN Fan, DE Anticipator Extraordinaire

Saam

Sweet! Where you gonna go to school? And does this mean that you're gonna frequent the forums once again?

stainless

Hi, I am a low poly artist (fan of Tera Nova/Looking glass games)...I can create the models for a new tera nova game; funny-- I thought about garage games and the possibility of doing this b4 reading the posts...Hmmm.... For a commercial Tera Nova II, the biggest problem is competition-- in fact, Tribes itself appears to be inspired by Tera Nova. And there is the 3D Xcom game... also Tera Nova didn't sell too well, so it is likely that Tera Nova II would not be able to capitalize on brand recognition...yada yada...another issue is licensing "Tera Nova" from the now defunct Looking Glass...Add to all this that the garage game deal takes 50% of profits and there other free engines available and restrictions on when a squad game can be released....lots of issues.

> Hi, I am a low poly artist (fan of Terra Nova/Looking glass games)...
    > I can create the models for a new terra nova game

Cool. To be honest, it seems pretty unlikely that this will actually happen, but it's nice to know there are interested people!

> For a commercial Terra Nova II, the biggest problem is competition

Yikes, I don't think anyone's aiming that high! (The mere thought of someone seriously starting work on such a project seems quite high enough!)

> another issue is licensing "Terra Nova" from the now defunct
    > Looking Glass...

It _would_ be certainly be nice to use the same setting if possible... I figured it would be about a completely new set of characters, probably a different time period, with a title "Terra Nova: Strike Force <Foo>" for some appropriate Foo. A totally different story in the same universe, basically.

The game would still be fun if it were only a sequel in spirit and style, though.

> Add to all this that the garage game deal takes 50% of profits
    > and there other free engines available and restrictions on when
    > a squad game can be released....

The last is only until mid August this year, which makes it irrelevant, really

I doubt there are other engines as well suited to the game, too -- as you say, Tribes would appear to have been influenced by TN in the first place.

As for profits and all, it would definitely be a labour of love... I wouldn't expect any profits to come from such a project.

Well, I suppose it stills possible to make a Tribes 2 Mod based on TN...