TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GBM gets off the boat in Vvardenfell

know whay you mean buddy!

dude, my morrowind guys were like, bad fucking ass, and then my bro f-disked my hard drive and i fucking lost them. so i started again and was getting up there, and then he did it again.

frankly, jimmy sons, i quit

Welcome to the club!

On balance issues:
    - I read somewhere (can't remember where), that a good difficulty setting for the game is 2*your level (or more if you feel up to it). So if you have a level 10 character, set difficulty to 20 or above etc. It makes the game challenging but not frustratingly so.

On getting your bearings:
    - Like they said, use the paper map, it's quite accurate.
    - You do know, I hope, that in the "menu" you'll get a bigger map view, in which you can switch between "local" and "world". Comparing the "world" view with the paper map should give you a good estimation where you are.

On playing the game:
    - Focus on on your characters Major skills! If you do not have any long blade skill, a claymore does you no good, even if the weapon has good damage ratings. You will not be able to hit anything with it. Major skills level up faster.
    - Try concentrating getting your character an expert of a particular area, like marksmanship. Playing a character that is OK on many skills, but not excellent on any, will be difficult, especially at the beginning, when every rat and worm seems to be able to kick your ass.

Recommended plugins:
    - A plugin to remove or neutralize Cliff Racers
    - A Good Place To Stay (creates an "apartment" for you in Balmora with enough room to store all your weapons and stull)

On travelling:
    - Don't walk (unless you want to). Use Silt Striders, Mages Guild teleports, boats, Mark/Recall spells, gondolas(within Vivec), and magical items which allow you to levitate/fly over obstacles. Saves time, saves energy, saves health, saves nerves.

And do post more stories about luminous mushrooms!

Previously Important
    I had intended to keep this rolling, but I ... erm ... kinda got sucked in. I'm at level 15 now, and so much has happened that I can't recall it all. Naked guys have attacked me with their fists, I got pinched by an Ordinator and had to give some stuff back, I accidentally stumbled into a Daedric ruin and now I have a shiny new Orcish cuirass. I bought a dress to wear, and it looks relatively boss. I got lost in the Ashlands, I checked out a Dwemer ruin (and kept thinking that I was back in Thief 2, only without the good NPCs).

I have comandeered a house in Caldera, and I keep lots of stuff there. Half of it I don't know what to do with, but my Alchemy skillz are increasing, as are my Enchantment skillz. I ditched the sparksword thing in favour of a Daedric Longsword I very narrowly survived obtaining in the underbelly of one of the cantons in Vivec, and I have joined the Fighters', Mages', and Thieves' Guilds as well as the Temple and the Imperial Cult. They keep me busy with many Fed Ex quests, and I have to keep referring back to my journal to see wtf they wanted of me days and days ago, as I tend to get sidetracked.

I'm currently beetling about Vivec, trying to get my bearings and figure out some way to steal this phat bag of lewt I spied in the Mages' Guildhouse, but motherfucker Ordinator is always there. I tangled with one of those lads once... I'd rather not give that a shot again for a while. Don't let the gay helmets fool you.

I kinda wish I could add my own journal entries, just to record things I might want to know later. Or annotate the map. Unless I can already do that and am simply too stupid to figure out how.

One thing I will say though: The combat system is ass. But I can forgive it that on the strength of the rest of it. For now.

Re: GBM gets off the boat in Vvardenfell

Originally posted by Gingerbread Man
    So I just upgraded my computer from a P2 333MHz with 64M RAM (stop laughing) to an athlon XP2500+ and (so far) 512M DDR. Which means I am suddenly able to play Morrowind, a game that has been sitting on my shelf for months.
    GBM, what's your video card? I have a similar system with 512 MB ram but it ran like so much crap when I tried playing it (640x480 with things turned down to nothing helps, though) I basically quit. It's especially annoying to go into the menu or inventory and drag around a drunken mouse cursor that keeps trying to fall asleep or just lag behind . I'm assuming it's my crap video card ("nVidia TNT2 M64 graphics card with 32MB SDRAM" according to the sticker still on the front of the tower), so I wonder what you have? Back when it came out a friend said a guy he knew who had just put together a pretty fast machine (with video card) ran it and also got bad frame rates/etc. So we figure it's mostly Bethesda's fault.

That, and I have no staying power when it comes to games of this magnitude anymore. I just get so tired of trying to do all the crap involved, Morrowind's such an open-ended game, and it's easy to feel in over one's head . Plus I have college to think about, so getting obsessed with it at a time like this wouldn't be cool.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it's also hard to get motivation to spend hours and hours levelling up and getting crap money when one realizes they can open up the console and basically become god . The drive is kind of dead after that.

And that's enough ranting.

deadman.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

Previously Important
    I have a GeForce FX 5200 now. I find running at 1600 is a little bit unsmooth, so I run at 1180 or whatever the next size down is, and I couldn't ask for smoother framerates. I don't know exactly what they are, I've never looked, but it glides like glass so I'm happy.

The main problem with 1600 was the drunken cursor, yeah. That really pissed me off. It's a LOT better at the next res down, though. Not perfect, but it's good enough that I don't mind the little bit of lag it has.

BANNED
    deadman - your video card makes my mother cry

And I think I'm going to get back into morrowind. GBM has inspired me. (Actually, I just found my cd, and got interested in all the mad official mods that are out).

Kahjit vampire, here I come!

Originally posted by easterlingman
    Double the pain, I've got the exact same card.

GBM - ATTENTION!:

Sounds like you need Tribunal addon!!! They fixed the freakin retard journal system so that now (including all the original Morrowind quests) all the entries are handily sortable by faction quest instead one mutha huge lump of journal crap!!!

Also it adds Map annotation, just what the doctor ordered!!!

The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

ThieveryUT

Also with that powerhouse system of yours, GBM, you should get that clever utility that allows you to expand the view distance to as much as your video card can take. I forget the name, URL, etc of it, just that its Russian and the screenshots look very nice.

-edit-

here it is:

http://morrowind.nm.ru/

Oh and GBM - whatever happened to that Thievery map you were doing?

Originally posted by easterlingman
    You and me both, brother :cry:

Builder save me before the end (meaning Thief III comes out and I can't play it)! Video card donations for the poor?

deadman.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

I bought a dress to wear, and it looks relatively boss.
    ROBE!

Well, actually it's more of a skirt.

Don't forget to try on that purple one I adore so much!

Previously Important
    No, it's a dress. I bought it from the clothier's in Balmora, I think. If I took the armour off, you'd see.

Expensive Skirt, I believe it is called. I was just curious to see if it would fit, and I liked how it went with the cuirass.

(olol queer-ass)

>:D

I agree, the leg models are so horrible that skirts and robes do well.

Besides, if you know anything about midevil combat, you know how much protection a skirt offers when added on top of pants.

Correct me if I'm wrong (Actually, don't, because I like being right) but the Roman Legionnaires also wore skirt-like err.. skirt things. They're armored of course, but fairly short. I saw a picture somewhere... hmm...
    Last edited by RyushiBlade; 6th Oct 2003 at 22:46.

Skirts are MANLY! Be a MAN in the Imperial Guard!

Yes. Roman soldiers used skirts often.

They're better protection because with armor, most weapons are turned into blunt weapons, and a skirt is better at softening blows than pants.(due to weapons having to pass an iron skirt before hitting the body. Chain maille and unhardened leather offer little to no protection against bludgening weapons. (I know this because I currently have chain maille I've made in my lap atm.

http://www.think-evolution.com/uploads/_0003.jpg

James_2k

Re: Re: GBM gets off the boat in Vvardenfell

Originally posted by deadman
    GBM, what's your video card? I have a similar system with 512 MB ram but it ran like so much crap when I tried playing it (640x480 with things turned down to nothing helps, though) I basically quit. It's especially annoying to go into the menu or inventory and drag around a drunken mouse cursor that keeps trying to fall asleep or just lag behind . I'm assuming it's my crap video card ("nVidia TNT2 M64 graphics card with 32MB SDRAM" according to the sticker still on the front of the tower), so I wonder what you have? Back when it came out a friend said a guy he knew who had just put together a pretty fast machine (with video card) ran it and also got bad frame rates/etc. So we figure it's mostly Bethesda's fault.

That, and I have no staying power when it comes to games of this magnitude anymore. I just get so tired of trying to do all the crap involved, Morrowind's such an open-ended game, and it's easy to feel in over one's head . Plus I have college to think about, so getting obsessed with it at a time like this wouldn't be cool.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it's also hard to get motivation to spend hours and hours levelling up and getting crap money when one realizes they can open up the console and basically become god . The drive is kind of dead after that.

And that's enough ranting.

deadman.
    you assume correctly, two words NEW CARD!! then you can enjoy all the benefits of AA and AF not to mention uber-framerates! try a 9700 pro maybe couple it with a 3 gig p4 and 1 gig of memory sorry but seriously i cant belive that you've got away with the card for so long, i got rid of mine two years back i got the wrong one - wanted the ultra version laters....

I've been thinking about making my own chainmail... something simple. 4 or 5 to 1 pattern probably. Not enough time *sigh*

Notice the definite skirty thing that he wears. I wish I had one of those. I would be the envy of all my friends... !

And er... I couldn't resist. You guys have never seen a picture of Cyrus. And GBM got to post his char with a skirt on ^.^ So this is Cyrus, Bonemaster (that's what I call him when he uses the Bipolar Blade and wears the Dragonbone Cuirass.)

not to mention his giant bone COCK peice.

Re: Re: Re: GBM gets off the boat in Vvardenfell

Originally posted by James_2k
    you assume correctly, two words NEW CARD!! then you can enjoy all the benefits of AA and AF not to mention uber-framerates! try a 9700 pro maybe couple it with a 3 gig p4 and 1 gig of memory sorry but seriously i cant belive that you've got away with the card for so long, i got rid of mine two years back i got the wrong one - wanted the ultra version laters....
    No money? Btw, I checked yesterday or thereabouts and I thought the 9700 pro was $250-$300 US, in which case, you better send me some gold bullion unless you want to get smacked in the face! I'm a poor college student, what do ye expect? I 'got away' with this card because I have no choice. I am hoping to spend $100-$150 for a card in December so I can play Thief III (and the two originals, sadly, with less lag than my current card).. I just wish I knew someone who could give me a temporary loan . I'm one of those who expects/wants decadence on a shoestring budget . Christ, and I just spent $58 on the Two Towers Extended Patinum Gift Set, so that's less that could go toward the card..

Can't someone just set up a quasi-personal service where poor kids are hooked up with rich kids (with uber systems) so they can watch and/or play Morrowind, Half-Life 2, Unreal 2003, Deus Ex II, and even that Enter the Matrix bullshit? Well, I just want to see the live-action videos .

deadman.

I just bought on eBay a GeForce FX 5600 (non-Ultra) w/256m DDR Ram for only $100 even (including the shipping!) Very nice deal!
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Previously Important
    Well, I found out what Taunting is good for.

Originally posted by Komag
    I just bought on eBay a GeForce FX 5600 (non-Ultra) w/256m DDR Ram for only $100 even (including the shipping!) Very nice deal!
    Komag, I'm headin' on over to Utah, as we speak.. Hey, I'm just over in Colorado, won't take long.. I hope to be there by the time Thief III gets released Hope you've got that extra cot out and all the dust bunnies removed for my arrival

You know, I never thought of E-Bay.. Guess, bein' a taffin' thief and all, I dun trust no one..

deadman.

Previously Important
    I have accidentally slaughtered everyone in Balmora's Council Club.
    WELL ONE OF THEM WOULDN'T GIVE UP HIS KEY AND ANOTHER ONE WOULDN'T FESS UP TO KILLING WHAT'S HIS FACE.

So I think, for the time being, I will take up residence there. I spared the bartender's life, as he wasn't being a prick.

It's a good location for now, right across from the strider, near to some guilds, not a bad place to stash some of the heavier things I've been lugging around.

Plus I saw Ghostgate for the first time last night.
    omfg

So very very cool.

My Acrobatics skill is now high enough that I don't sprain anything leaping from one of the upper levels of Vivec, which makes navigating that awful place a little bit easier... I just reference the map, find which canton I'm trying to get to, and jump down to a bridge.

Marksman skill nicely high as well, which means that Cliff Racers are more of an opportunity to advance the skill rather than an annoyance. I actually seek them out sometimes, and can knock them out of the sky right at the draw limit. I'm sure they'll become totally annoying once I can't advance the skill anymore, though.

Accidentally went to Wolverine Hall, got thoroughly confused, decided Vivec isn't so hard to find your way around by comparison.

Found out that an Ascended Sleeper isn't really much for conversation. WELL I HADN'T RUN INTO ONE BEFORE HAD I? There are some odd-looking people in this world, and I figured he was probably just another dude. >:|

Casius Curio or whatever he's called made me take my clothes off. >:|
    Joke's on him because I robbed him blind right afterwards. He's a creepy, creepy man, and I intend to do something rather grim to him once his influence is no longer beneficial to me.

OOO! Plus I nearly got jacked by a Khajit in Hla Oad. How embarassing would that have been? I stuffed his body somewhere, I have no idea where corpses go when you dispose of them. I prefer to think that I eat them.

And now I am LOST in the Ashlands again, looking for the Sudanit Ebony Mine. I know I must have passed it because suddenly I'm back at Ft Moonmoth. Got some great target practice in along the way, though. Mmmm cliff racers.

Still, that means I can drop off this absolute pantload of raw glass at my new digs in Balmora. It was really starting to chafe.

I prefer to think that I eat them.
    LOL

I have to say that you really have inspired me. I think I'll make another character tonight. I was gonna wait until the Mog Mod was out... I wanted to be a Moogle

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast