TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Once and for all, what's a CamVator?

Once and for all, what's a CamVator?

What's a CamVator?

Is it a T2 thing?

Spike14

A CamVator is basically a moving camera that player sees through. Or, technically speaking, an elevator that the player is attached to and that follows a set path.
    They are used for fully scriped cut scenes, instead of movies.

They were used extensively in The 7th Crystal.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I've also set them up using doors instead of vators. Basically, Spike, it's an unrendered vator moving along a path, with the player PhysAttached to it.

...and the scheme I plan to replace.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    "...and there was much rejoicing."

Here is a short tutorial by SilentSheep and Saturnine, which I once got from someone (not sure if this is posted at Dromed Central). The tutorial is pretty self-explanatory, you can set a CamVator by just following the tut, then you can make your modifications, add stuff etc.

Spike, I believe you can make a CamVator also in T1, although I'm not sure if anyone bothered to do that in T1. The first mission with CamVator was the famous T7C.

Enjoy the tut!

----------------
    CamVator Cutscene by Silentsleep and Saturnine.
    =============

This tutorial is to give an example of a smootly scrolling cutscene-style view of a conversation or some sort of fly-by sequence.
    This works for Thief 1 and Thief 2.

First of all, set up the elevator. Make 2 TerrPts along the route you want the camera to travel, it can be a straight line, or something a little fancier, but there's just 2 for this tutorial. Now select the first TerrPt give it a TPath link to the other TerrPt. Highlight the link and hit Data, and enter the speed you want to travel at. 3 is about right to keep pace with an average AI. Now link the second TerrPt to the first, with another TPath link. Leaving the speed at 0 is a good way to stop the elevator there, which is what I did.

Now make the CamVator. Type "find_obj raft" into the console, and create one. Resize its dimensions to 1,1,1 for convience. We don't want it getting in the way of anybody so open up its properties and go to Physics->Misc and change the Collision Type to None. Also, change the Moving Terrain option to false, if necessary. This'll make sure the raft starts sationary. Rename it to CamVator and finally, give it a TPathInit link to the first TerrPt in your sequence.

Make a button and give it a CD link to the second Terrpt. Frobbing this will start the CamVator moving slowly along the route. This button will be part of the final conversation. In the example mission, Its called TeleButton. You can make your CamVator unrendered now if you want, and T2 users should compute the pathfinding database.

Now for the conversation. Make an AI and put him near the first TerrPt, a little behind it is better. Add Ai->Core->Alertness Cap and set everything to 0 so he doesn't start attacking you. Make a marker, name it ConvPt and give it the TrapConverse script. Add the conversation properties too. Link from the marker to the AI with the AiConversationActor link and set the link data to 1. Make another button and CD link it to the ConvPt. This button will start the conversation, so you might end up using a BoundsTrigger or something in your final mission. Make a marker near the final TerrPt and name it something like EndPt.

So how is this going to work anyway? Well, we're going to give the player a PhysAttach link to the CamVator for the duration of the conversation. This will drag the player along the route of the CamVator. It's important to note that the route should carry the player _above_ the floor. If the player is able to get a foothold and try to walk or jump, things can get strange, possible even to the point of crashing Thief. In Thief 2 Adding the PhysAttach link will make the player zoom to the CamVator! It's a cool effect, but not what we want here, (Although possibly of some use to display the effects of a new weapon of some kind that can blow someone clear across a room at high speed!) (hmmm) In T1, the link will hold Garrett in his current position, and move him relative to the motion of the CamVator. Which is not what we want either. The solution is to teleport the player to the CamVator just before we add the PhysAttach link. So, open the properties of the CamVator and add the script "TrapTeleporter". CD link your TeleButton to the CamVator. The conversation will handle the teleportation.

Now open up the conversation property of the ConvPt. In the first and second Actions, enter this:

Add Link
    ControlDevice
    Player
    CamVator

Frob Object
    TeleButton

This Cd link the CamVator to the player, and teleports him to its location. The Telebutton also starts the Elevator moving. Next add this:

Add Link
    PhysAttach
    CamVator
    Player

Goto Object
    EndPt

Remove Link
    PhysAttach
    CamVator
    Player

Now the player is attached to the elevator, and the AI starts walking to the EndPt. That's all our conversation is doing. You can enter in other things here, like speech, motions, or whatever you want. You conversation ends with removing the PhysAttach link. It's tempting to destroy the CamVator instead, but don't. The player will be locked in position.

The player should drop to the floor. You'll probably want to teleport him someplace else, so just set up another button and Teleport trap, CD link it to the player with your conversation, and frob the button.

That's it! Go into game mode from the button linked to the ConvPt, and you should be whisked off to follow the CamVator. Once you're finished, you can adjust the heading and pitch of the CamVator to give you a good initial view. In D2 however, its position will reset every time you compute the pathfinding, so don't forget to change it back.

------------

Ah, cool! Just what I needed for AKO (A Knight Out), my next mission!

Could someone send me a T1/G Garrett model?

I thought there might already be one..., or is that just DedX?

Spike14