TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Elevator Mission T2 (15/10/03)

sword key

I don't suppose you recall where on earth you can find the key to the sword room door? I'm retracing steps as it is, and the level is so big I don't want to run around like a chicken with its head cut off!
    if you dont want to know the location of the sword key don't read this SPOILER!

spoiler:
    Go to double glass doors of where two hammers are located just past a marble floor in a large room. Down in that basement area, theres pillars and doors at the other side of a room you come to. Take the doors Straight ahead and in this LONG hallway theres a guy with a very heafty club enhanced with spikes. behind him is a door that will leed you eventually to the sword KEY!
    Also, I think theres a lonely guy whos dying to meet someone very special awaiting behind the Big Door

Dealasteal
    Last edited by dealasteal; 18th Oct 2003 at 02:45.

Hi Dealasteal!

Thanks for the help! I'm feeling like a total blundering fool, here, alas

spoiler:
    Is the area you speak of the one that has a marble hall that leads to a well lit worship area with two guards, one with sword, one with arrow, a wooden gate, and two statues? At the top of the hallway, on either side, there are halls that go down and meet behind, joining a middle corridor that leads to a round room with a picture of Karras. Two small rooms down there, one with a lockbox, but I never found anything else down there. If this is the right area, it looked like a dead end so I left it alone earlier. Since I can't kill and have no water arrows, I can have NO idea how to get past those guards.

If you mean turning left before ever going down the hallway that leads to the area above, It switches left and right, ending up with two metal doors - the one on the left I've never found a key for, and the one on the right leads to a well. Is that the right area?

Thanks for your patient help!

Cheers,
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

I finally got through the cathedral without a slow-down. It was not the fireballs. I think it was the compounding of saves in that area. Every time you load a save, then save again, the situation gets worse. My second time in the area was also a disaster, even though I did not alert the priestess. In my third time, I made it a point not to load a save in the chapel area. Went through it like a breeze. My clue for this was that the loading of saves took longer each time, to the extent that when it was really choppy it took about 5 minutes for the load.

I guess I save and reload too much by playing in semi-ghost mode.

It could all be a fluke, but I hope that helps someone.

Thanks smithpd, I'll give it a try

BTW, I said 'system crash', but of course I meant that the game crashed. And now when I think about it, it happened when I tried to quicksave at the gates of hell. So saving and loading maybe part of the problem.

As for audio, I've got Avance AC'97, and I've got a clean Windows XP. I've also got the latest NVidia drivers and DirectX 9.0b so things should be OK...?

finding sword key

Well, I fell victim to this same problem of getting the key and since the areas are so BIG I made a mistake in my previous description of how to find the key:

spoiler:

What you want to do is retrace your steps by finding the open area where the cog key needs to be used on those cylinder shaped keylocks-its an wide outside area where a long walking platform is and alot of red brick walls. Depending on the direction your coming from and how far youve gotten, I came to this area and retraced my steps back from this area. From here, go back to where you came through an opening thats elevated from the floor, and in this next room is a big globe on a stand in the middle of the room. keep going until you are heading towards where the silver lockpick was located in a well with zombies-right next to the entrance to the well is another set of doors you need to be going through. On yur way you should have passed a small marble hallway that takes you to where the two hammers were standing next to the wood and glass double doors.Then keep going in this direction as you will be going downward on a stoned stairway, entering yet another room and here you should see the tall stone pillars and straight through the end of this room-double steel doors-in the center wall, and two other doors- each on yur right and left-take the path of the double doors. There will be a single guard at the end of this very dark and long hallway here(that may depend on the type of difficulty your playing on-I am doing the hard one). You will know your in the right place because theres two large stoned staircases in here leading to two wooded doors at the bottom of this new area. but don't go this direction just go straight down the main hallway to another set of steel double doors. This will take you to another short hallway along the way coming to a single door. Now this next room is where the sword key is located. Theres a BIG wooden door in the next room here you have to open by other means. You need your lockpicks to get through most of these doors along yur way here.

Whew!

There is alot of areas to cover in these massive enviroments.

Ready yur BOW!

Dealasteal
    Last edited by dealasteal; 18th Oct 2003 at 13:37.

I am having trouble finishing Mission 2. Playing in Expert, I have made it across the lava, but I am missing one objective, to get "Pyonchan's book." This is not the same as the 31 year Engineer's letter that looks like a book. I have that, although I don't know what to do with it. I am also missing the key or procedure to open three locked things:

1. the wall safe / picture in a bedroom before you arrive at the jail cells.

2. A wood chest in a room past the lava.

3. A blue chest in a room past the lava.

If anyone knows, please spoil me on Pyonchan's book objective and the three locks. I think I have hunted long enough.

There are a few other things that I am wondering about if anyone knows:

4. I also see two stairways behind metal grates in the building that leads to the lava, and I can't get into either one. Are these fake places?

5. I found a ladder up to the rooftops in the last town, but I can't figure out what to do up there.

6. I can't get into the building with the woman who is standing behind wood-barred windows.

7. What's the deal with that area at the end of the left passage from the jail rotunda. There is a red-fire haunt type dressed in black standing behind a building. He blows up and I die when I kill him, even from a distance. I can't find anything there. Is it just a trap?

8. What's the deal with the area to the right of the chapel containing a guard with a hard hat and a large gate? I can't find anything there, either, althought it looks like a gate that might open.

Like the original Elevator, this mission can be frustrating at times. But, also like the original, I am enjoying it a lot. Believe it or not, this one is easier and a little bit shorter. I've got 4:17 into it now.

Howdy dealasteal!

Thank you! On expert, past those double doors is a room guarded by two guards standing on either side of a pillar.

spoiler:
    I wound up drinking my invisibility drink (the floor is marble), zooming to the pillar, standing on it long enough to raise the door on the opposite wall, then dashing like mad through the door. Happily, when it closed, the lever on my side flipped up and relocked it. Further down, there was nasty two-headed THING guarding a treasure chest. Arrows took care of the monster, and the sword key was inside.

Getting out - I had to open the door then take my speed potion to get out of there fast enough to lose the guards!

This is the first time I've ever resorted to either invisibility or speed potions. Whew!

Now, I'm caught up to where I was before.

spoiler:
    I've opened the door to hell, flipped the switch on the cross, flashbombed the nasty ghosts, and slashed the banners in the revealed alcoves.

Now what? The picture remains locked... the only other door I can think of is back a ways, a metal one that was opposite a door that led to a well... I haven't come across lava *anywhere* - am I on the right track?

EDIT:
    Nevermind! Found the open doors! Whee!

Cheers!
    -M
    Last edited by Melissa; 18th Oct 2003 at 04:39.
    Your mileage may vary

It looks like I cannot play this FM. Its simply unplayable on my system . I tried limiting my save games and it worked a little bit for a while but it's just too choppy, I got motion sickness . This is how far I got:

spoiler:
    I used the hell gear to open the door and threw the switch in the room with the two vampire warriors -- scared the heck out of me. I sneaked out (I used my invisibility potion, but I think it's possible to do so without using it). I just hope I don't have to go back in there anytime soon. I entered the building the doors to which the switch had opened.

But it just got so choppy. I even went and deleted all my save games manually except the one I'm currently using, but it didn't help either.

Thiefmissions.com

Originally posted by [BBR]_M1Tanker
    By my clock, it is after 8PM on a weekday, and technically it is the weekend too.
    In what time zone? You'll note that the message explicitly mentions "US/Central". In any case, there are tons of people downloading the mission during all times that downloading is allowed, so I really don't think there's an actual problem with the archive. It sounds like you think that you should be able to download at 8PM on your clock, no matter where on the planet you are, and that's just not reasonable. (For one thing, I have no idea where on the planet you are.)

Roz,

Too bad. I think that the problem is not likely be in the disk space used by save games, unless you are running out of disk space, so I don't think deleting the save files could help. I have plenty of disk space headroom, and my system slowed down too.

My theory, espoused above, concerned the number of reloads of saved information, followed by subsequent saves of the reloaded information. This could cause a build-up of bad information in the save file. As a minimum, reducing the number of reloads decreases the chances of corrupt data getting into a save file. The number of reloads itself may have nothing to do with it. It may just be some lucky circumstance of including or not including corrupt information in the save file, so when you save less often your odds improve. On my third play, I avoided reloading of saved games, I did not save at all down in the Cathedral, I BJ'ed fewer AI (less chance of damage and fewer changes of state to record in the save file), and I played in a different order (went left above the Cathedral and did my thing with the black-suited guy before venturing elsewhere). I also killed the bat, which was making an ugly noise, on the theory that sound may be the issue. Any of these things could potentially affect the corruption that causes the slowdown. But one thing is for sure - once that bad data gets into the save file, you are hosed, and you must reload from an earlier place. That means you should make slot saves more often as a precaution, but not reload them if you can possibly avoid it.

So now, having deleted your saves, you have no way to go back in game time to a good save state, so you would have to restart mission 2. I suggest that, if you don't want to do that, you can simply end mission 2 and go on to mission 3 by using the keys CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-END together.

Hi,

I'm stuck! I can't find any rope arrows, which I believe I need in the
    cathedral..?

I've got the sword, and both lockpicks, but no cog wheels.
    there's a closed gate down in the basement where the square lockpick is, is
    that door I need to open to get progress?

The rope arrows are:
    spoiler:
    in the "house" you enter that overlooks the cathedral, in a chest upstairs.

Please don't tell me it's in mission 1....? I can't find a house overlooking the cathedral in mission 2... It's a labyrinth isn't it

OK I finished mission #2 in Expert. Satisfying and fun, I would say, although not without a few frustrations. It would have been better if there had been loot, IMO, but no loot seems to be part of JIS's theme here, so I can't argue with the master builder.

I have answered most of my questions. See below.

1. Wall safe
    spoiler:
    I never did open that. I think that is where the 31 year old letter from an Engineer is hidden. That is an optional objective I missed. The book in the chapel evidently describes this letter.
    2. and 3. Locked chests at end
    spoiler:
    The chests I could not open are inaccessible if you achieve the objectives in the correct order - the mission ends when you get into the rotunda on the other side of the lava.
    4. Stairways with grates
    spoiler:
    these have no entrance, so far as I can tell.
    5. Rooftop in town
    spoiler:
    serves no purpose other than a view.
    6. Building with woman
    spoiler:
    No entry. Nothing in there (roped up).
    7. Red fire haunt BAD SPOILER
    spoiler:
    Something you need is located under the porch
    8. Area to right of chapel
    spoiler:
    Nothing there other than scenery and a surprise hard-hat.

Originally posted by McEve
    Please don't tell me it's in mission 1....? I can't find a house overlooking the cathedral in mission 2... It's a labyrinth isn't it
    spoiler:
    It is not a separate house. It is a couple of rooms that has the appearance of a living quarter -- or maybe it is an office. Two floors with stairs. You must pass through it to get into the cathedral -- it is right as you enter. There is a man in there looking out a window to the cathedral room below.

I must be stupid You mean where the large globe is sitting on a table in the center of the room? or do you mean the room with the teddy bear..?
    spoiler:
    I've been upstairs where the teddy bear is, but the chest up there contained an invisibility potion only

spoiler:
    I found a key to an open space - but have no idea where it fits so far - it doesn't fit any of the three cog wheel locks I've found so far...

But I'll think I'll try to find the rope arrows first...

Originally posted by McEve
    I must be stupid You mean where the large globe is sitting on a table in the center of the room? or do you mean the room with the teddy bear..?
    I think I understand the source of our confusion. You are in a completely separate part of the mission! There are two churches. I am referring to the second one you encounter.
    spoiler:
    The second one is found eventually (after a long, circuitous route) after you enter a locked door on the uppermost level of the open brick courtyard. You get to this courtyard before you reach the first church. You need to take an elevator to get up to the top level, and you need to find a key for the door.
    You do not need the ropes until you get into the second church.

The first church less than half way through the mission, maybe 30%.

oh yes, I know where that door is - I even thought I had found the key for it but no... Thanks for sparing me a lot of time running around looking for something that's not there!

I started looking for help for that closed door down in the basement mentioned in my first post, then found everybody was looking for rope arrows so thought I better find them first!

Off I go and try to find where my cog wheel fits.

Thanks smithpd!

spoiler:
    I HAD found the key for that door - the first time I tried it it didn't fit! I went back to show hubby what kind of lock the cog wheel fits, and it opened..

Anyways, making progress!
    Last edited by McEve; 18th Oct 2003 at 15:23.

It has been noticed that all the cog locks in this mission pack require two attempts.

smithpd,

Originally posted by Lightningline earlier in this topic:
    OK..Back up to the small hall with 2 doors to the left and 2 to the right
    spoiler:
    THE FIRST TO THE RIGHT HAS A BUTTON IN THE BACK THAT OPENS A PAINTING ACROSS THE HALL...
    I checked it out and all that's behind the painting is an on/off switch that's currently in the on position in my quicksave at the end of the mission. I switched it to off but didn't determine what it did, if anything. Did it close a door that I'd previously opened with another switch? Or did it open a door I couldn't open yet? Dunno. Anyhow, it's not the engineer's letter.

I also checked that one metal door I couldn't open across the hall from a metal door leading to a well down which is the square-toothed lockpick. It's an elevator shaft but with no elevator. JIS must have disabled it. It just goes down to the square-toothed lockpick area anyhow. An alternative to the well, I guess.

[Edit]
    spoiler:
    I've investigated further and have discovered what this on/off switch behind the painting does. It corresponds to the pressure plate in front of the inner doors of the "Hell" area. "On"=pressure plate depressed, doors open. "Off"=pressure plate extended, doors closed. This would be a method of egress from this building if you did not place a body or something on this pressure plate when you entered. Otherwise you could trap yourself in this area as those sliding doors effectively seal off and isolate this section of the mission.
    Still nothing on the Optional Engineer's Letter Objective.[/Edit]
    Last edited by Old Man; 18th Oct 2003 at 20:27.

EMT2

Has anyone gotten very far in mission 3? We seem to be stuck near the beginning. We have wandered up and down elevators, KO'd everone after we passed the keepers, and find nothing but locked doors that won't pick.

I've finally made it to factory level and now I'm stuck. I've made it to a big room piled high with crates, an overhead walkway, and some bots. I made my way up to the walkway and followed it to a few rooms. One of the rooms had a guard inside and a switch on the floor. I have no idea what that switch did once it was flipped and I've tried backtracking but haven't found any doors that were previously closed open. Any ideas on what that switch opened or what to do next?

Nevermind, I found out what to do next
    Last edited by Devorgilla; 18th Oct 2003 at 18:42.

Hell Gear?

Just a couple of questions.....
    1. Opened the door, threw the switch and ran like hell. Can't find any door that
    opened when I threw the switch?????
    2. The flaming red guy standing on the porch...got the book from under the porch
    now what?
    3. Need to find the Keeper...got the sword...opened everything I could.
    4. Found an area off the cathedral (the one where you have to rope arrow up to the ceiling) where there is one guard (now sleeping) but big gate closed...is this the ending area?
    Help.

Nevermind: Thanks to OldMans post regarding the switch that opens the door
    back at the entrance to Hell I was able to open the door again and get back
    out to the church. Finally made it thru the Lava and into Keepers, ending the
    2nd Mission. Thanks.
    I'll be back!!!!! Level 3 looks
    Last edited by coreyb2; 19th Oct 2003 at 01:05.

Originally posted by epithumia
    In what time zone? You'll note that the message explicitly mentions "US/Central". In any case, there are tons of people downloading the mission during all times that downloading is allowed, so I really don't think there's an actual problem with the archive. It sounds like you think that you should be able to download at 8PM on your clock, no matter where on the planet you are, and that's just not reasonable. (For one thing, I have no idea where on the planet you are.)
    Sorry, should have been more specific.

I tried to download and posted all within a few minutes @ around 12AM (that's after midnight, not noon) and I am in the Eastern time zone.

Working now though.. Thanks.

Lynx67,

On mission 3 (Factory) where exactly are you stuck and have you been through the large gate behind the two keeper guards towards the beginning of the mission?

spoiler:
    There is a pressure plate on the floor in front of the gate to open it.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast