TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Sweels Live! (sort of)

Sweels Live! (sort of)

Since I'm going crazy taking apart the motion database and rebuilding it, I'm uncovering all sorts of things. Well, for those of you who looked at the motion schema, I had a single entry in there which I thought was for "Small Spider", mostly because it lined up with the order of creature types in Dromed. Well, I figured out what it was.

It's a sweel! There is only a single locomote motion in the whole list, but it's there. So now I know how to put back the sweels.

So I took a rope, reconstructed it, removed some joints, and build a Sweel!

You can imagine my amazement when I found that, after about 40 tries, it worked!

But there's a problem. I can't find any more Sweel motions! I'm digging through Thief Gold, and TDP to see if there are any in the motion.crf file. I've already looked in Thief2, no joy.

Anyway, it's fun to see this rope chase me around. But it has no motion except to move.

At least I know if I find the motions, I can get sweels working again. Stay tuned for more info on the motion database editor and sweel motions!
    Last edited by Shadowspawn; 7th Nov 2003 at 18:27.
    Shadowspawn's Thief Pages
    Darkness is always faster than light. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds the dark waiting for it.

This is probably a stupid question, but what the heck is a sweel?

From the pictures I've seen, something like a merged Rat and Eel. It slithers.

If you do a search, someone altually had some concept art of one. I think it was Yametha...
    Darkness is always faster than light. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds the dark waiting for it.

<a href="http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/concepts/showimage.asp?source=./t1-sketch-eel.jpg">This</a> is under <a href="http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/main/">Multimedia</a> &gt; <a href="http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/concepts/">Concept Art</a> at <a href="http://www.thief-thecircle.com/">The Circle</a>.

looks like an otter on steroids!

OK, I've extracted every motion file for TDP, TG, T2 and SS2. I even wrote a program to grovel through the files and look for the Sweel motions.

It's bs121030! That's all!

This is like believing in the Red Sox (again). My heart's broken all over again.
    No Sweel motions except one locomotion.

Well, maybe we can put a sweel in a zoo. That's all it will be good for.

There are almost 300 unused motions in the Thief2 motions.crf file. They are mostly human motions, with some bot motions. No sweels. I would have thought LGS would have left them somewhere...

If we know what they are and think about what they could do, we can allways try to rebuild them. Now we just need some kind of a motion editor that can read special files and create a skeleton with joints from them.

Shadowspawn (everyone...)
    Cat's out of the bag now...

I also found a new motion type:

<b>Appartition</b>, this IS different than the apparitions in Thief which are really only people. It is a AI with NO legs and floats over the ground instead of walking.

Problem is, I've been working on it for awhile and have a few models to go with it, but it only seems to have a "walk motion, and a fire motion". I haven't had alot of time but I can't get it to actually attack.

The hard part is that you have to create an entirely new creature type. Because adding "creature type:apparition" under anything in the hiearchy will crash it.

Obviously I haven't added the correct meta-props for an attack mode but can't find the one I need. I'm ready to release it if someone can make it work. I also have to upload somehow...

If you can find more motions for it SS, let me know.
    -----------------
    Also, I have been thinking about how to import motions. If someone can interpret the 3DsMax motion files and convert them... It can be done in unreal and Datoy has converted thief levels to unreal... I'm really no help here but if it gives any ideas...

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Originally posted by Schwaa2
    It is a AI with NO legs and floats over the ground instead of walking.
    That would really rock.

These are the available Apparition motions. (At least in the existing motiondb).

I'll see if there are any more in the extras.

BTW: I made (for someone now I can't remember) a zombie with no leg joints. It built ok, but it moved without tring to bend it's legs.

Schwaa, just remove all the joints and planes below the butt joint (leave that). Then you could use the bottom of a statue as the base of the AI and make your own Apparition. Then you could use all the human motions.

Existing Apparition motions. This is in my new Motion Schema format.

schema Stand 0
    MType GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale 0
    motion AP111000 4 500

schema Locomote 0
    MType GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale 0
    motion AP111001 4 500

schema RangedCombat 0
    MType GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale 0
    motion AP113101 0 500

schema Discover 0
    MType GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale 0
    motion AP112550 0 500

schema Discover 0, Direction 5
    MType GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale 0
    motion AP112551 0 500

schema Discover 0, Direction 6
    MType GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale 0
    motion AP112552 0 500

schema Discover 0, Direction 0
    MType GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale 0
    motion AP112550 0 500

schema Crumple 0
    MType GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale 0
    motion AP113701 0 500
    motion AP113702 0 500

schema PlaySpecMotion 0
    MType GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale 0
    motion AP114001 0 500

Re: Sweels Live! (sort of)

Originally posted by Shadowspawn
    I had a single entry in there which I thought was for "Small Spider", mostly because it lined up with the order of creature types in Dromed. Well, I figured out what it was.

It's a sweel!
    I had no idea that a sweel was some type of creature. I thought a sweel was just some bizarre internal thingy-me-bob with a funny name, like tweq or fnord. Or the name of a generic class of "stuff" like ropes etc. Now I need to change all references from "small spider" to "sweel" in the upcoming (some time), bug ridden (still) Motion Editor v2. Good work, Shadowspawn!

IT'S ALIVEEEEEE!

What about the serpent thing that was left out of the game? Do you think that could have been a sweel as well?
    &lt;xhtml&gt;&lt;eat id="mouth"&gt;potato&lt;/eat&gt;&lt;/xhtml&gt;