TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Motion Database Editor is finally here!

The Motion Database Editor is finally here!

It's at my web site, on the tools page.

I've included the motion database editor (makmdb.exe), a motion database dumper (motions.exe), and a basic instruction file.

I've also got a package of the Thief 2 motion schemas. Using those with the editor will make an equivalent motiondb.bin for Thief 2. It's not exactly the same, but it works the same way. (Let me know if it doesn't).

I'll get the TDP, TG and SS2 Motion schemas up there soon, I need some time to extract the schemas and test the new database.

This has been a long haul. I'd like to thank Weyoun and Zygoptera for all their help on figuring this out. And of course, this is going to put more pressure on Weyoun to expand his Motion Editor, since we can much more easily use the products of his tool.

Once I get the other schemas extracted, I'll probably produce a meta-motion db which includes all the Thief motions (like restoring the Trickster motions), and allowing us to play with the nearly 300 unused motions in the T2 motions.crf file.

Since we decided the schema method was the best way to go, this is yet another command line program. But, the schema are fairly simple (although some of the player motions are arcane) and it shouldn't take long before we're using motions which haven't been available to us.

I would like to suggest that as a courtesy we include the custom motion schema with new missions, like many of us do with the sound schema. This way, once a new motion set is working, everyone can easily incorporate it into their own motion database.

Check it out, see what you think. This is only version 1.0, but in tests I've restored the Trickster motions, and got all three Zombie dances working. (Although the original zomdance doesn't look like it was finished).

Some bad news. I tried to bring the Overlord motions into Thief. The motions inport easily enough, but I cannot get an Overlord into the Thief object hierarchy. It seems that the AI torsos are NOT defined only in the motiondb, but are somewhere in the game engine or a dll.

GayleSaver, perhaps you could help me out here? Is there a way to not only modify the Creature Type selection, but access the torso information it must somehow reference?

Who's going to be first with the horse motions?

Please, the folk who host other sites with tools (Komag, Jason, schwaa, (you know who you are)) please put this up on your sites. I don't know how much interest this will generate, but my little angelfire site will run out of bandwidth quickly.
    Shadowspawn's Thief Pages
    Darkness is always faster than light. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds the dark waiting for it.

I have a few theories, but we should really ask our friends and trusted sources. cCreature is a significant game component; it's one of the systems in the game, in fact.

Non sequitur, there is only one DLL in primary Dark: darkdgs, the MFC capsule for DromEd. The situation would be different for Siege, I'm told.

Woohooo!
    Time to make us some new AI attacks...

-Alexius-
    -Writers! Post thy divine ideas on the Hammerite Lore!

VK,

I actually stepped through some of the DarkDlgs selection code (in assembly), but apparently it accesses a higher level database (via COM) of creature attributes. From that level, it made no sense. But, no matter how I configure creatures in the motion db, it knows that a Sweel has one torso, period. So we can't fake it out from outside. We MAY be able to modify a DLL (or something) which contains the creature info.

Or, it may be in the game engine itself and pretty much put an end to extreme cross transfer of creatures types.

There does seem to be at least one creature index (maybe two) which aren't used. Perhaps we can find a way to override those.

epithumia,

Thank you.
    Darkness is always faster than light. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds the dark waiting for it.

I will look into it for you tonight.

Woot!!!
    Thanks for your hard work Shadowspawn.
    And thanks to the Weyoun and Zygoptera for helping him.

This is just great!

Excellent.

Great job.

[Edit] You aren't kidding when you tell people to check their bow. I only edited one of the schema files that didn't have anything to do with the bow motions and now Garrett has been firing arrows from his ass . If I want to fire an arrow to a guard I have to place myself so that Garretts ass points to the enemy and then I have to look down and hope for the best. It's hilarius, but not really what I wanted .[Edit]
    Last edited by Dark Arrow; 22nd Nov 2003 at 05:18.

Dark Arrow,

Let me check my Player motion files and make sure I didn't send the wrong ones.

I had the bow arm fly away from me and hover 20 feet away, shoot, then return to me.
    Weird...

Dark Arrow,

I just built my Thief2 schemas again, the bow worked fine.

I want to figure out how touchy this thing is, what did you change? What OS are you on. (I know that seems weird, but some system calls may work slightly differently).

Hmmm....maybe I need the parser to read in the files in some order (alphabetic or something).

Actually, I just tested and I only have to compile the schemas to get the problem. I'm not sure if these files are the latest. The .zip where the schemas were is called MotSchema.zip, dated 5.11 2003 20.35. I think they are some old schema files.

Anyway, my OS is Win 98SE.

Dark Arrow,

Those were just a working draft. I KNOW they will mess up the player motions, since I had to change the way they started out, and add a few new pieces.

Download the new ones and delete the old ones. They should work properly.

Sorry.

My mistake...

Good work, Shadowspawn

But do you give me a plaintext format of the documentation? I don't got word and my wordpad just crashes.

in order to actually edit the .mc files, you need the motedit.exe program, right?
    so once we have edited them and compiled all of the files into a motiondb.bin file, do we just have to replace this new bin file with thief's default motiondb file? do we have to also make a new directory called "motions" and put the edited motion files in them?

thanks

hello??

Yes you have to have a folder called motions in your Thief 2 folder, if you have made custom motions and you replace the original motiondb.bin with your own. Just remember to backup the original.

Sorry, been away from computers for the last day.

thief0,

Yes, you have it right. You have to have a motions directory in your Thief folder with your custom files. And an updated motiondb.bin.

MM,

I emailed you some plaintext docs.

Thanks

thanks.

Perhaps now you'll follow Mr. Harris's example and start writing scripts. They accuse me of monopoly.

Yeah, I think I need some custom scripts for my next mission. I guess it's time to learn how to write them...

Originally posted by Shadowspawn
    I guess it's time to learn how to write them...
    Hey, I would like to learn how to write them too!

And, who's the teacher?

This sounds really cool SS ! I'll get it up on my site as soon as I can. Can't wait to play with it No DL access right now.

Re: The Motion Database Editor is finally here!

Originally posted by Shadowspawn
    It's at my web site, on the tools page.
    And it'll be on a floppy disc and on its way to my home computer just as soon as possible! I've been looking forward to this!

And of course, this is going to put more pressure on Weyoun to expand his Motion Editor, since we can much more easily use the products of his tool.
    It looks like I'm fast running out of time! I have an almost complete v2.0 Motion Editor sitting on my hard drive at home, with a few remaining issues to sort out. Alas I've been unable to sort out the form redraw and preview play bugs that seem exclusive to Windows XP users, so they will probably be carried over.

And with thesis writing being number one priority during the day time, I'm going to be under serious pressure, alright. I'll try and get something released in the next few weeks.

Well done, Shadowspawn - I'm looking forward to trying this editor. And hopefully having a good laugh by making

the bow arm fly away from me and hover 20 feet away, shoot, then return to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast