TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New FM: Spoof - Benny Hill Tribute (updated to v1.1)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

New FM: Spoof - Benny Hill Tribute (updated to v1.1)

I dare not call this a "mission"... it's basically a single scene spoof of the old Benny Hill Show timelapse bits set to "Yakety Sax". I'm releasing it because I have no plans to finish Spoof: The Daft Project and I figured I might as well release the one scene I actually completed. Folks in the UK and others familiar with the late Mr. Hill's antics will no doubt appreciate it more than others, but anyone can chuckle at the Trickster doing "The Swim". Anyway, I hope it gives you 62 seconds of laughter...

Get it at Thiefmissions here. Thanks, as always, to Jason.

Some screens:

Last edited by Yandros; 4th Mar 2004 at 09:28.
    Death's Cold Embrace - Info and screenshots

Thanks dude

Yeah, I'm just 15, but that doesn't mean I haven't seen almost every episode of The Benny Hill show. (does that count? or are you basing this on Benny Hill's older work?"

Well, looking forward to playing it, now...When's your undead mission due?

EDIT: HAVEN'T SEEN D:
    Last edited by Thiefsie Fool; 2nd Mar 2004 at 17:25.

Actually, I'm a very casual fan/watcher of Benny Hill myself, mostly as a teenager on PBS. I just always thought the skits with the music were amusing, and when my wife got me Yakety Sax last fall, this mission spoof just kind of happened... I haven't actually seen a Benny Hill episode in years.

Who's Benny Hill!?

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Originally posted by flying_hope
    Who's Benny Hill!?

http://www.vgernet.net/tpelkey/bennyhill/

Benny Hill was shown on French TV in the 80's-90's! I always watched it when I was a kid, teenage and now...

When the journalists of the third french channel are on strike, they broadcast The Benny Hill Show instead of the news.

So I ask (French) TV-reporters :"Please more strikes, give us Benny Hill !!"

Thanks Blackman, I didn't know I was born the same day as Benny Hill (21st of January), (Not the same year, though... but 19*4 !!)
    Last edited by Stefan_Key; 2nd Mar 2004 at 17:38.

not moving

I downloaded the demo and the script (extracted the script to the Thief 2 Folder), but the guys aren't moving. Maybe the scripts are in the wrong place. Benny Hill was always funny.

............ caropr

Thank you, Yandros

That was a great fun. And finally I could hear the Benny Hill theme again

I used to watch Benny Hill very often when I was a child
    "Don't dream it - be it!"

@caropr: Did you unzip the script into your T2 folder? That should be all you have to do. If you're past the small room where you get the script message, then they should be installed correctly. Is anyone else having this problem?

Originally posted by Yandros
    Actually, I'm a very casual fan/watcher of Benny Hill myself, mostly as a teenager on PBS. I just always thought the skits with the music were amusing, and when my wife got me Yakety Sax last fall, this mission spoof just kind of happened... I haven't actually seen a Benny Hill episode in years.
    I remember watching Benny Hill too, but the episodes I saw weren't exactly PBS material.

Actually I'm just kidding. He had some shows for a general audience, and others for adults only.

John

Originally posted by Yandros
    @caropr: Did you unzip the script into your T2 folder? That should be all you have to do. If you're past the small room where you get the script message, then they should be installed correctly. Is anyone else having this problem?
    Same here. Script installed. AI won't move...

scripts installed

Yep, the scripts are in the Thief 2 Folder. I don't get the message asking for them, but can't move towards the guards, etc.
    Should I have to execute the scripts somehow besides copying them to the Thief 2 Folder?

........ caropr

dont work

i just used darkloader it plays but no ai movement

All the best stuff comes from the UK.

Benny Hill, Tommy Cooper, The Goodies, Monty Python, Mr. Bean, Some Mother's do have 'em, The 2 Ronnies, Jasper Carrot, Only Fools and Horses and many, many more. WOOT! You can't beat British comedy.

Downloading now.

ACK! No movement from the AI's!
    Last edited by sluggs; 2nd Mar 2004 at 19:54.

If not for the music (and the title of course) I would never have guessed that this demo had anything to do with The Benny Hill Show....

ACK!

I just downloaded it from Thiefmissions and plugged it in Darkloader and it works fine on my system...

Say, do you folks have the unfixed SoldOut version of T2 by any chance? I depend on TrapTimedRelay for this setup to work properly, and in this thread it was discussed that the SoldOut version of T2 (even with the patch) doesn't have this script in the gen.osm and script.osm, and that some missions that depend on this script were not working properly even with Gaylesaver's scripts installed - you also had to get a "correct" version of gen.osm.... anyone in this situation please read the above thread and see if following the link there to get the correct gen.osm fixes the problem.

What is a SoldOut T2 version? I have one of the early T2 versions with the patch, and your FM worked fine. No problems here.

John

Thanks John, that's good to hear... but four folks here couldn't play it for some reason. Sounds like the metaprop that freezes the AI isn't being removed by the TrapMetaProp.
    Question to someone for whom it's failing: Does the Victrola become unfrobbable after you start the music? If it does, then TrapMetaProp is working correctly... also, do the AI's die when the music is over even though they're still frozen?

(in answer to your question, John, I think SoldOut is a version of Thief sold in the UK)

Okay, I am having a major problem because of this mission. It seemed to be working fine, music and AIs was pretty funny, then suddenly it crashed to desktop and now my sound doesn't work despite my having restarted twice. I tested my Extigy and speakers with the Creative diagnostics program and everything seemed to be fine, but I can't even hear MP3's now. It looks like they are playing, just no sound. Some help would be appreciated.

Victrola becomes unfrobbable after frobbing, yes for me. The AI don't die after it has finished playing! I have the original boxed copy of T2 and the only thing i have patched is Dromed.

@Onerioscope: Sorry about that, I experienced the crash to desktop once (mentioned in readme) but didn't have any persuant sound issues. Have you checked the Windows volume controls to make sure a Mute didn't get toggled or the volume set all the way down on a relevant channel?

@sluggs: That's weird... if TMP is working for the Victrola, it should work for the AIs as well. I don't know what else to tell you except don't sweat it, it's a just a joke of a little mission anyway. If you feel like it, try opening it up in Dromed and see if it works there, since I know you're familiar with it.

Familiar with Dromed, me? Never touched it!

That's what i eventually had to do i'm afraid! I got those AI's working by removing your custom MP (M-InStasis) from all the AI's! I didn't want to have to do that but since this was only a demo i guess it didn't hurt to. Before i did that though i checked everything and i reloaded all the scripts and recomputed the databases in case something got corrupted but nothing worked. I'm as confused as you are Yandros.

It was enjoyable while it lasted though. (The AI never died at the end.)

Well, now that you have released this as a working, ahem, demo, i guess it's one less for you to worry about since you're working on about 50 projects and Beta testing too! Just how do you do it Yandros?? Saying that though, i have 5 or 6 FM's that i'm working on too! (Work, Work, Work!) What i'm doing is working on my Museum until i get bored of it then continue with one of the others and then when i get bored of that one, i continue on another. IT ACTUALLY WORKS FOR ME! This way, i'll be releasing them all more or less at the same time!
    Last edited by sluggs; 3rd Mar 2004 at 09:23.

Thanks for looking at it - I fear that what I'll have to do for those who experience problems with the original release, is create an alternate where you don't frob the victrola and as soon as you enter the mission the doors open and the AIs begin moving. Not ideal, but at least it should work for most folks for whom the original is failing, and shouldn't take me more than a half hour or so.

I'm busy this morning, but should be able to get this alternate version to Jason this afternoon. If you have had problems with the AI not "waking up" when the music starts, and care enough to go to the trouble, please download this new version when it becomes available.

Sluggs, that's one reason I have a half dozen missions in the works - so I can move from one to another if I get bored or frustrated with the one I'm working on. The reason I haven't worked on Clue lately is that I have like 4 others that would each only take a few weeks to finish up, and I want to go ahead and get them done before undertaking Clue. Besides, Gaylesaver is still working on one of the scripts I'll need for Clue anyway.

Hmmm....

Originally posted by sluggs
    It was enjoyable while it lasted though. (The AI never died at the end.)
    This concerns me - removing the metaprop shold make the Ai deaths work. The only components of this setup are a TrigSim -> TimedRelay -> DestroyTrap -> all AI's. That means that either the TrigSim or the TimedRelay still isn't working on your system.

If you don't mind, I'll probably ask you to verify that the alternate version works correctly on your system (including AI dying) before I send it to Jason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast