TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: question about Sound

question about Sound

How can I add my sounds in thief without just chanching wave file in snd.crf . . ?
    How can I add my sound object which will open my wave sound file ( ambience sound ) ?

This link will give you many tutorials on how to add/use new sounds in Thief.

Thief-TheCircle

John

Any file in a .crf can be deprecated simply by putting a file with the same name in a folder with the name of the .crf.

I know , that I can overwrite the file with same name , but I want insert and use new . .

That's more complicated. First you'd need a .wav in \snd, a .sch schema in \schema along with the original ones, then you haveta open the mission in dromed, reload_schemas and save the gamesys. Only then will you be able to play the sound through an ambient marker or script-controlled object.

I place mysound.wav in snd.crf --> sfx . create myschema.sch in schema folder .
    type in :

//wind
    schema invwind
    archetype AMB_INV
    mono_loop 0 0
    volume -1
    mysound.wav

Than I reload schemas "relaod_schemas" , save gamesys . . Place in mission amdient sound , add ambientHacked , type in Schema Name : invwind , type in radius : 30 , set flag - Environmental . . But my sound don't work . .

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Can you hear the sound if you use the play_schema command? If so, it's a problem with your ambient marker or roombrushes. Otherwise, it's maybe a problem with your WAV file. Some sound editors have been known to be incompatible with Thief (I think WAVs saved by Goldwave won't play in Thief).

I don't know about any other formats, so it is just safe to use this one: 22,050 Khz, 8 bit mono, PCM --- Something like that would work. I made mine, but it sucks because I have more than one .wav file and it makes it sound hollow, and while your playing, everything else is near to zero volume. Ai, everything....

-I don't know what program you have, but Sound Forge XP is a good one. It came with a sound card back in 98 I believe. (My thief game came with the sound card too. If that sound card wasn't bought, then I wouldn't have known of thief! Well, I probably would from thief3 or somewhere maybe....)
    My Thief FM Website
    "Those pies had enough grease to drop a Burrick!"

For me, (using Thief 2) using the 22,050 Khz 8 bit stereo PCM format works too. I'm using this format in my mission for ambiant sounds. I also tried higher formats as well. It's just best to stay at 22,050 Khz, 8 bit mono, PCM. For me all PCM formats worked. It's just that the higher the quallity, the longer it takes for Thief 2 load it up.

For me, I use Sound Forge Xp, and it has PCM 8 bit mono 22,050 khz as a default, so I used it and found that it works. I haven't played around with other formats...... Also, I heard that you are supposed to use this format, or at least something similar.

Hey, I just had an idea, why don't I look at the format using Sound Forge Xp, to see what it is for sounds from thief........
    My Thief FM Website

The standard format for Thief is 22050 Hz ADPCM (not sure if IMA or Microsoft ADPCM,
    anyway try both, and use whichever works, and use Microsoft - which is better - in case
    both are usable). With the ADPCM format you can get better quality than that of 8-bit
    (assuming that you converted to ADPCM from 16 bit), at about half the file size.

Really? Oh, didn't know that..........
    My Thief FM Website

It's IMA ADPCM. Many of Thief's samples are saved at 22.050 kHz; 4 Bit; Mono 10 KB/Sec.

They can be very small, and they still sound rather good without any discernable hissing.