TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: C5: The Focus.. ?

Need help with safe

I have broke the coded letter and did the math
    spoiler:
    I took the age "43" as such (43X10) X3 + 5 and got 1295...the note then says to invert the third numbers...why plural?? there is only 4 numbers..I tried turning the 9 over to get 6...I then tried the number 1265 and
    nothing happened..what am I missing?

also why dont the mission end when I go out the back door? or is the yard not the back door. is it the metal door between two rooms? Also I am playing on hard and the safe isnt a goal..I just want to get it. This is a great mission..the best so far I feel..I am going in ABC order...but it is getting old...2+ hours already

Also I went back to the servent quarters and found no guy with a key
    Last edited by Lightningline; 10th Mar 2004 at 20:38.

Sorry if this has been asked earlier in this thread but I'm enjoying this mission so much I don't want to risk spoiling it for myself. But I am coming up short in a couple of areas:
    spoiler:
    I've happened upon Garibaldi and gave him twenty or thirty good sold overhead sword swipes but that doesn't seem to bother him much. How do I kill him?

And I'm missing Gobel's gear key. It may have something to do with the sleeping statue in a pool near the kitchen with an inscription about arousing her and opening her eyes. But I can't figure out how to open her eyes. Any ideas please?
    Thanks.

Gone, but never forgotten
    spoiler:
    For the safe, it is necessary to inverse the third number with the first number.

Ghost

Your formula is wrong

[Lightningline]

I broke the code, too -- happy to say I broke it *before* finding the hint (for the code) from Spinozza -- and here is what the mnemonic for the combination says.

Warning! Even though this is spoilered, this is a bigger than usual spoiler!

spoiler:
    Dear Master Garibaldi

Here's a little hint for you to remember the combo of your new safe:

Take ten times your age and triple it. Then add five and invert the first and the third numbers.

-- Spinozza

That's what it says on Expert level; I can't say for sure it's the same on Hard and Normal, but my guess is that it is.

Here is the formula:

spoiler:
    G = Garibaldi's age, which his journal puts at 43; take G x 10 = 430; triple it = 430 x 3 = 1290; add five = 1295; now you "invert" (Spinozza means transpose) the first and third digits -- so you switch the 1 and the 9 to get 9215, and that's the combination.

Interestingly, when I found the combination note and decoded it, I hadn't yet seen Garibaldi's journal, so I had no idea how old he was... just for curiosity's sake, I plugged in my own age.

And it worked! By sheer coincidence, I'm the same age as Master G .

Anyway, see if that works.

[Nightwalker, Caropr, anyone]

On another question, I found the backyard door (which the backyard key opens), so I picked up one more secret. I'm still missing two.

And I still can't find that fershlugginer ring of Jenny's! I found a bunk bed, per Caropr's suggestion, but there was no ring there. It was the set of bunk beds downstairs, in the guardroom near the rec room where they play cards and where one guard lost his lucky coin, another secret.

So we must be talking about a different bunk bed. I'm standing in the room where Jenny's note was found in the trunk, right near the metal exit door. Can someone direct me from this point to where I find the ring?

Thanks,

Dafydd

Old Man

spoiler:
    you need to drop a flashbomb in front of the statue on the left at the top of the elevetor.. a key of sorts will be revealed then you may enter the keepers secret library from within the main library and search a lever and go down and push in the order of an earlier thread to get holy water to kill the master

as for the gears and skulls there is an earlier thraed/spoiler telling you ware to find all of them.

And thanks daf for the safe tip

well..I am gonna grab those skulls now that they served their purpose and see if the back door key guy showed up yet
    Last edited by Lightningline; 10th Mar 2004 at 20:36.

Gone, but never forgotten
    Dafydd,

spoiler:
    The ring of Jenny is on the bed top in the room before the chamber of Spinozza.

Thanks Lightingline but that's not the statue I'm referring to.
    spoiler:
    I'm referring to the statue in the centre of a small pool. IIRC, there was a Water arrow in the pool too. This on the same level and in line-of-sight from the small circular elevator's bottom position. That same elevator that goes up to the statue you're referring to. Like I said, near the kitchen.
    And like I said I won't read the previous posts in this thread lest I spoil myself on something. For example, I've still got a couple of secrets to find, and I don't want to read a post that gives one of these away. I'll just have to worry away on Garibaldi for a while longer.

Ghost

Saga of Jenny

[Lady Jo]

Thanks... now let's see if I'm able to find that room again!

Edit: Yay, I found it and put it where it should be. Thanks; I really wanted to help poor Jenny.

Now all I need are the other two secrets besides the four I found. Nobody has a complete list of secrets yet?

Thanks,

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 10th Mar 2004 at 21:39.

Ghost

Garibaldi

[Old Man]

Lightningline was answering your first question, how to kill the Master.

Once you get where he said to go, the way he said to get there, you will find a puzzle. The key to the puzzle lies in a few of the last words of the poem.

When you solve the puzzle, you will end up with a weapon that will allow you to kill Master Garibaldi.

Dafydd

Thanks, dafydd.
    spoiler:
    I've already been to that secret area and picked up the gold nugget there and avoided the spitball trap. What I don't know is the correct order I'm to press the items and it sounds like that information is in an earlier thread which I'm not quite ready yet to risk reading. Let's see. How's it go again? Been a long, long time. Four choices for the first, three for the second ... 4!=4x3x2x1=24. That won't take that long to work through.

Ghost

Heh

[Old Man]

The answer is there in the poem. Read it carefully. It's quite explicit.

And reread my last post on this point. I gave you a hint....

Here's an even broader hint; don't look at this unless you're tearing your hair out:

spoiler:
    You were told to frob a few elemental keys. It's a combination.

Dafydd

I worked it out. Thanks. Was only the fifth or sixth sequence I tried. Although, I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I was working through a pattern though. hehe duh

Originally posted by The Mike
    spoiler:
    Move the vase on the bookshelf against the right wall to reveal a tiny lever that opens up a secret area. Climb down into the secret area, if I remember right, there is a gear key in here somewhere. If not, it shouldn't be that hard to find, I kinda just stumbled onto the first gear key.
    spoiler:
    I've been inching around this little secret room for quite a while now and still haven't come across Gobel's gear key. Any more specific directions than The Mike's? Jeez, it's really a very small space and there are only five things I've been able to frob and none of them Gobel's gear key. I must be getting tired. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

As I said in my spoiler, I'm not entirely sure the gear key is in there, I kinda forgot. From what I've read- it's not. Sorry- blame it on my short term memory.
    Sorry I couldn't help you out, it figures the one gear I couldn't remember the placement of is the one no one can find...

Ghost

Urk

[Old Man]

I found it (and the other two gears), but I don't remember where. Did you get the one in the room with the Master's ghost?

Alas, I have no save from before I got all the gears and used them.

Dafydd

Thanks guys. Yes, dafydd, I've got the other two gear keys. Okay, then,
    spoiler:
    Gobel's gear key could be anywhere all the way back to the beginning of the mission, I guess?

And there's another item I've not been able to figure out yet. In Garibaldi's office there's a framed naked sketch of an anatomically correct man up on the wall that seems to have a lock to it. I've not been able to open this either. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

For those of you looking for Gobel's gear....

spoiler:
    Go to the Office with the painting that frobs and sounds as if it can be unlocked. On the desk is a small round pen-holder?. Get very close to it and frob it. This opens the painting.

Ghost

Elementary, My Dear Old Man

[Old Man]

I worked it out. Thanks. Was only the fifth or sixth sequence I tried. Although, I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I was working through a pattern though.
    spoiler:
    The pattern is simple. In the poem, it says something about pressing "a few."

AFEW: Air, Fire, Earth, Water.

Doh!

Dafydd

Thanks, dafydd. I figured it out. Of course, it was the last four that I had pressed. All I had to do was recreate my sequence. At that point I didn't need to decode a few clues.

Further, I decided to start from the beginning again. That seems to put me in a better frame of mind for sniffing and licking each room as I come across it. I've now got all six secrets and am short only exactly 100 loot.
    spoiler:
    For me, the fifth secret was Julio's single gold coin. Pretty obvious clue in his diary, but somehow I had gotten this confused with Jenny's ring the first time through. Anyhow, Julio's gold coin is on the floor near the card table. Imagine Julio sitting on the couch and playing cards and dropping the coin on the floor.

And the sixth secret was all the way back at the very beginning. In hindsight there were some visual clues but I must have been anxious to get started on the mission and missed it. In the cell, low down on the wall behind the turned over small wooden table is a switch that opens the grate in the floor of the cell. Down in this sewer I found Ashton's corpse. I'm starting to like this Ashton fellow. He was almost as thorough as me for skulking around finding loot. Alas not so thorough hiding his ill gotten gains that Jackson didn't discover his ten-figured ways. As well as a couple of coin stacks near his corpse are some Moss and Water arrows.
    Last edited by Old Man; 11th Mar 2004 at 11:11.

Thanks, Old Man! You've pinpointed the secret I missed so now I should have them all. I'm going to go check it out. It's the one down
    spoiler:
    in the cell.

Got it! I've emailed you the list of secrets, Dafydd. I'm still short a bit of loot, though, as that only added 37g. I'm short exactly 100g. of the total available now.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 11th Mar 2004 at 11:02.

We're both out exactly 100 loot, NW. I wonder, is there anything behind that nude sketch in Garibaldi's office? Or have you already been able to open that?

Thanks for the clues to Gobel's gear key, dreamer. That did the trick for me. Somehow I missed your post until just a little while ago. And I don't think I would have worked that out since I had replaced the coded combination message from Spinozza to Garibaldi a little too close to that switch. In the end I had to do some yoga to get it to highlight. With that last tip, I have completed this mission. Still short 100 loot but I've got all pockets, 6 of 7, and all secrets, 6 of 6.

And, dafydd, I'm not sure how you've had a problem with the watcher outside Garibaldi's office and vault/safe room across the hall. Must be you've missed the secret access to his office. From the room below the double doors across from the double doors of the dining room. Low down in one of the corners of this room is a switch that opens this accessway.

This is a terrific mission. And I say it can be Ghosted. I had to jump back once or twice when I yellow alerted the watchers but only because I didn't know they were there. They can be avoided easily.

Thanks for all the help people. Much appreciated. Now I can move on to the rest of these fine Contest Five missions. All smiles. Weee!

I know this is a help-me thread more than a feedback thread, but I just finished this mission (with help from this thread, natch) and was very impressed - it's one of the best small missions I've played, contest or no.

As was mentioned before, the mission space feels about twice as large as the contest limits - it's got lots of nooks and crannies, and yet also has plenty of room to move. Obvious attention has been paid to ghosting gameplay, and the mission is very fun to ghost. I especially liked the variation of surfaces and the fact that there was always a shadow to be found when in a tight spot. I loved the number of things to do that took you back and forth across the mission space, and the secrets to be found - it was a very fun involving mission, that never bored me once.

Niggles: I dislike having to key- or switch-hunt for crucial items, and I had to do this several times. In many places the author gave cues that there was an important secret to be found, and that was good - I just wish it had been done for more of them (for instance, the gear hidden behind the painting). The number of where-do-I-find-this posts in this thread is a good indication of the importance of this.
    Also, it's a pity that the author didn't get a native english-speaker to proof his/her texts, because the writing was otherwise good - just jarring in places, and misleading in others.
    And, lastly, a map would have been a nice addition. Though I got by just fine without it, a good map improves any mission.

need help

Hello Thieffans

That is a mad FM.
    I has unfortunately some problems hereby and hopes it can me help.
    There is the third floor, which one can reach with the elevator. Here there is a door, is locked and a crossbar made of metal lies in front of it. This door at all or only Fake is to be opened?!

Then I find into the Library this keyhole close of the sculpture. But where there are my friends here the suitable key?! In the second floor I found the area with the Tressor. As for this the combination reads. I read, looked also a script somewhere like cryptograph. Who can say to me somewhat for this?!

Greeting Gitan

The barred door can't be opened, however you can still get into the room behind it:
    spoiler:
    Go back to the secret passage where you found that coded message, and look for a switch behind a pipe. This leads you to a teleporter into the sealed room. In this room you'll find the instructions how to decipher the message. You can either sneak past the room's inhabitant or kill him with holy water.

For the big keyhole you need a key that looks like a keeper medallion:
    spoiler:
    Read the text of the statue: Go to the top floor and search behind the right statue for a lever. This will reveal a flashmine. Go to the left statue and activate the mine there (or throw a flashbomb). This will reveal the keeper medallion.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast