TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: C5: The Focus.. ?

Originally posted by caropr
    Same here. Can't find Keeper Gobel's key. I have the three skulls.

BTW Jenny's Ring
    spoiler:
    is on top of a bunk bed (sorry, bad english)

But the mission is great. Love it.

........ caropr

There seems to be a lot of Jeni/Jenny rings lately.

btw I remember there was another FM similar to this one with
    spoiler:
    the three pedestals behind portculis, and requiring a skull be placed on each one.
    I can't remember the name though.

John

I've done everything except
    spoiler:
    save the keeper's souls. How do I do that?

John

Edit: I figured it out already.
    Last edited by john9818a; 13th Mar 2004 at 19:37.

This is a fantastic mission. I agree that it is one of the best small missions I have ever played. Unfortunately, I have had some problems with the objectives.

First, playing on Expert, I had two objectives to save the keeper's souls and to get the eye. Those objective disappeared from my list of objectives before I could achieve them (at least I think I achieved them). Here is what happened. If I am correct, following is a spoiler for saving the keepers souls.
    spoiler:
    I got all the gear keys and the skulls. The last of the skulls / gears I found were in the Master's room. When I got them, the objectives simply disappeared. Then I proceeded to open the grates in the focus rotunda, place the skulls on their pedestals, and flip the main focus control lever. Blue lightning came from the focus to the skulls and then the machine turned itself off, removing the red halo from the eye. Did that save the souls? Or did I fry them instead? I never got an objective complete. Then I roped over to get the eye. Same thing - no acknowlegement.

Then, I cannot finish the mission. I found the backyard key
    spoiler:
    on the guard standing across the room from what I think is the back door. Anyway, I opened that door with the backyard key, and I went in to a small foggy outdoor place.
    Is that it? I did this before getting into the mission proper. When I went back there after completing all objectives listed (including the missing two?), the mission would not end.

Several people posted above about not being able to end the mission. Were any of you successful after having that problem? If so, what did you do?

Also, I read above something about a guy coming back with a key. That did not happen in my case. The door in question remains locked. No guy and no key.

Another funny thing that happened is that the clue for the safe code disappeared from my inventory as I went back through the transporter.

FYI, I ghosted it, and I am missing 172loot and two secrets. Again, it is a great mission, and I had huge fun playing it in spite of the above.
    Last edited by smithpd; 14th Mar 2004 at 06:14.

smithpd - I had those same objectives disappear on me after saving and reloading. But I got them back by reading the book that gives the objectives to you, and after that it seemed to go ok...however, I was unable to make the mission end by leaving after completing all the other objectives, so that may be connected.

Did you leave via the door close at the start, where the guard has the key? I left through the door in the servants' quarters, with the key I got from that servant that had returned, and that worked fine.

Very impressive mission, by the way. It's one of the most complete contest FMs I have played.
    Morrgan's Dark Projects: my FMs and FM reviews - 10.03.2008: All for a Night's Sleep updated to v1.1

The mission ended for me, Peter. I simply reread the journal (small room beside control room), as noted by Vigil. And the proper exit is the metal door beside Jenny's beau's bedroom as noted by Morrgan. You may have to reload back to before you save the keepers. I made sure I had the objectives before I did that. Some say Jasmin (or whoever it is) doesn't return from town with the key but it worked okay for me.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.
    I never ran into Jasmin. And since the objectives stated "Leave through the back door" and the key that the guard has is labelled "back door key" I never imagined there would be anywhere else.
    Never ran into Jasmin, neither.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.
    I never ran into Jasmin. And since the objectives stated "Leave through the back door" and the key that the guard has is labelled "back door key" I never imagined there would be anywhere else. Something to reword for the next release, I should think.

I'm not really sure just exactly what triggers Jasmin to show up with the key. Probably satisfying the save the keepers' souls objective. And he'll be just standing there with his back to the door. The room down the hall from Jenny's beau's bedroom, on the other side of that metal (back) door. Back door key versus backyard key maybe.

VIGIL

The key the guard have is labelled 'back YARD key' and not 'back DOOR key'.

The backyard is accessible from the beginning, but the backdoor will only be when all the non-bonus/optionnal objectives are completed and that the 'Jasmin guy' will be back from town.

Objectives / exit problem solved

Thanks, Old Man, for steering me in the right direction. Re-reading the journal in the office near the control room reinstated the objectives to save the keepers souls and get the eye. Then, after receiving the objectives for the 2nd time, I saved the keepers souls as described in my post above, except I also had to
    spoiler:
    pick up the skulls after making the machine turn off.
    Then I got the eye, went down stairs, and found that Jasmin standing in his room with the back door key. So, when the bug of objectives disappearing is fixed, and you go through the sequence with the keepers' souls and eye, you can find the key and exit.

In my opinion, the distinction between back yard and back door is too subtle, and "back yard" should be changed to "garden" in another release. It is not a bug, though, it is a feature.

I found another minor objective problem. When I exited, the bonus objective "No KO" had a red X in it (not satisfied). I had not KO'ed anyone, but I did kill the Master, as instructed. So I went back and avoided killing the Master, and the "No KO" objective was satisfied. So it seems you cannot have them both. Although logical in a sense, it is a little disappointing.

I agree smithpd - and that objective trouble would have been why I never met Jasmin, because I'd been back and forth across that region trawling for secrets several times. I'm not sure how I'd reword things - I think even the fact that it's 'outside' may cause problems for some people, but perhaps just removing the back-yard key entirely and/or adding a plaque to the 'real' back door. This sort of misunderstanding crops up every now and then in FMs.

Back balcony key? Leave by the back balcony? I get the impression this door does not lead out at ground level. But then I was never all that sure I had the twists and turns and ups and downs comfortably in my mind. And that door only opens to another hallway. Same shoreline sounds though. Just a suggestion.

Hey, Peter. I know you're an engineer but my career was application software and we did indeed refer to those sorts of things as "features." Followed without noticable pause with "No extra charge."

Originally posted by Old Man
    Back balcony key? Leave by the back balcony? I get the impression this door does not lead out at ground level. But then I was never all that sure I had the twists and turns and ups and downs comfortably in my mind. And that door only opens to another hallway. Same shoreline sounds though. Just a suggestion.
    Yes, the back door is one floor above the back yard, but there is no noticable balcony there. Must be a very steep hill.

As for "features," Old Man, I do some software development myself, but of course my software has only features that are useful.

As if this dead horse needs any more kicking...just went back and finished the mission properly. Turns out there was no problem with Jasmin showing up, I just didn't look in his room after I'd scoured it earlier on. Nor was there any hint to, or any indication that the 'back yard' wasn't the 'back door' or that the real back door was anything other than just another locked room.

Definitely some ambiguities to resolve there, but that hasn't dulled my opinion of this very impressive FM.

Great mission! WOW!

But I have some problems:

spoiler:
    1) I have Gobel's Key and Reinert's Key. Where is the third key?
    2) I have two skulls: 1 and 3. Where is 2?

Bukary -
    spoiler:
    Have you been in Jackson's room yet? I think if you search it carefully, you'll find what you're missing.

Thanks, Linda!

I've finished this FM and I must say that it is really, really good.

Jackson's Key

Hey, I have a problem that apparently no one else has encountered. I have two skulls and two gears but now I ned to get into Jackson's room. Only problem is... I can't find the guard patrolling with Jackson's key on him. Has anyone else had this problem? I know where he is supposed to be patrolling but there's just no one there. I've done everything I'm supposed to do up to this point so I don't have a clue of what to do now. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    *C*

I love this mission! Lot's of puzzles.

I found Jenny's ring but no bonus objective appeared. I read her scroll too.

I don't know how to
    spoiler:
    open the statue's eyes.

Point me in the right direction, please.

diana,

The statue whose eyes are closed is in a long room with arches, right?
    spoiler:
    That is the wrong statue. That statue does nothing.
    spoiler:
    The correct statue for solving the puzzle is in the uppermost floor. You need to take an elevator, at some point, to get up there.

Jenny's ring itself does not trigger anything. But...
    spoiler:
    A bonus objective appears if you put it back in the right place. There is written a clue for this.

Ah ha! Thanks Peter. One more question though ... How do I open that door on the top floor from the elevator? I've been in the Master's bedroom but can't get out and I haven't the key to get from the evevator to that statue.

Funny thing though: wouldn't Garrett just smash one of the panes of glass and reach through and open the door?

Diana:
    spoiler:
    The key to open the door from the elevator to the top floor is in Jackson's quarters by the bed. It's kinda easy to miss because it blends in with the carpet (I got stumped by that too.)

when i read the master diary in the little room, the mission completed. i didnt get any new objectives about the keepers souls or anything else. im playing on normal, is the keeper objective available on all difficulties?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast