TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: T2 FM: Retaliation (Mar. 18, 2004)

I think I've got a different problem. I opened the door to Castor's room, threw in a flashbomb, ran in and blackjacked him, then took his unconscious body and threw it a pool ( the pool that already a skeleton in it). He was taking forever to drown, so I left and started persuing another objective. Several seconds later, I got the "mission failed" screen because I had killed more than three guards. That's wierd because I killed only one guard (sort of accidentally, it was the priest in the chapel near the altar with the gem on it). The only other thing I "killed" was one robot I disabled with water arrows.

Anyway, from my last save, I can't get back to Castor before he dies, and even if I could, I think I couldn't finish the mission because he's not the "Final Castor".

nil8hate, I think the noise you head was just the background music. I found it strange too since I keep the music volume pretty low most of the time

Maybe you killed some undead maybe, I think they count off the objective too, strange..

Clearinghouse

run

I can not start RETALIATION.
    Badge in Darkloader for T1.

I BJ Castor and then drownd him in the pool. He took for ever to die.

I also had some flying doors that chased me. They were the doors below Castors balcony doors with the 3 watchers. Very strange. I frobbed them and they disapeared. They started flying when the guards opened them.

This was a very fun mission. great challenge.

Maybe the objective should be that you kill Castor face to face or with your sword so that those of us who like to knock em out and then kill them when they can't fight back will know how to proceed. Just a suggestion.

I noticed the flying doors early in development but have had no problem since. But I suppose things sneak up and bite you in the long run.

Dumb Question

spoiler:
    Where's this "porivate Room" that Castor Flees too through the Transporter?

I seem to recall it's not far from the Bar.

spoiler:
    You mean the one you get to through the green house and you have to fight the four gaurds and the robot to get to? Awwww Crap, I've got my work cut out for me.

No, no! Not THAT bar. Sorry. It never occurred to me that you'd think it was outside the house. I meant near the "bar" room inside the house, on the upper floor.

Oh Thank God!

OK...I need help please

I just got around to this one and the creation of the game: architecture/various types of locations/story (liked the background story in the readme), etc. However, I have a question or two that I didn't find answered. It was asked twice and I really need this one addressed please. How do you turn the dang alarm off and where if so??? I've been playing the majority of my game with this and it's really hurting my gameplay as well as my health. I'm playing Medium (had one potion and found three cheeses) then I just found another potion in barracks...all used and have slightly over half a line. I can't take anymore fighting cause I wouldn't be able to take any hits and survive and nothing to replenish me. So please help me to turn the @#%@ OFF! Speaking of health...don't they have a kitchen...LOL and also how about an Armory? I only had 3 moss (now 1), about 6 water arrows left (yes I found a few, mainly in that long water trough when you leave the water pool and the patroling bot area. And where are the dang gas arrows? I suppose your going to say because of the Castor sequence they weren't included...but then the same situation developed as such...i.e. Bj'd first.

I didn't restart my save before that happened...cause I thought after awhile it would time out as they have in the past and I was on the run and just kept going (I just didn't see the thing due to trying to avoid some guards that were coming up on me (second floor)). I've able to find shut-offs for others but it's not helping in this situation in particular A few of the Guards I was able to avoid, but most of them have trapped me to where I have to fight them, and it's been very difficult for me to do. I'm not a fighter type..but a BJ'r and now I can't do that because they're mainly all on alert...a few exceptions but not enough for me to get around in the usual manner.

Another question I have..is regarding a room I'm currently in (Guards coming in and out searching) kindof pinned down again cause I'm wondering the significense of this room and why they're being persistant. It's the one down from the Barrack room (have Castor's room key but it didn't work on this door), had to pickit. It's got that very unusal desk setting made of stone and a small stone alcove with a regular door very close to it which is the one the guards use at the other end from where I'm at.

I'm also very curious down the hall from my door side...there's a kindof blue light eminating out of what looks like an inset in the wall and has a small white light over it..of course it's in an area where those two guards that are bugging me right now...would be able to see me should I try to go down to it...I'm thinking/hoping that maybe that's the shutoff switch/button for alarm?

Ok...sorry for the long disertation but I'm really getting a little frustrated with my current status...so please help...someone??? Thank you very much!
    Last edited by The Fire Eater; 22nd Feb 2008 at 17:09. Reason: Nightwalker fixed header to show actual date, etc.

Bump

Can no one help me with situation/questions above? Been waiting a few days for help and unless someone can at least help about ALARM turn-off, I'm afraid I'll just have to leave/delete it cause this just really spoils the gameplay for me. Thank you again for any advice.

I wish I could help but I'm afraid I don't know the answer to any of your questions.

is it possible to pick up BJ'd guards or do they have to lie where you ko them ?

or have I got a bug in my install somewhere ?

As far as I know, and I have played quite a bit of this game, I had no problem with moving my KO's..just the dang ALARM system! So be very careful if you set them off...reload from an earlier save and redo.

I screwed up apparently, not realizing they wouldn't shut off by themselves after while. In a particular area, this is hard to avoid but then there are a lot of them as you move from area to area. There are a couple of shut-off camera rooms...but I found one other room that still had a live camera...even though others were shut off...so had to use a water arrow for that one. Don't know if there were others like that one however.

Even though your question didn't address this, just thought I'd offer some friendly advice to help you regarding this pain in the backside! Good Luck!

thanks

I just couldn't pick up the bodies, well some of them were ok but most lay there drawing attention

so I had to wait until they were ideally positioned and ko them there, then I found a stairwell that made a good ko zone once I'd dealt with the lights

blew one camera to bits and ran past another while invisible

found all the control rooms and disabled all the cameras, guess the one i blew up was the one you meant

I couldn't get castor to run for the teleport no matter what, so I settled for koing him and taking him to the private room where I hacked him to death ... so messy, blood stains so badly on marble too .... anyway, then I made a bee line for the exit and did the vulcan nerve pinch thing to end

Archivist
    It was only a few days before the author's anniversary that I decided to replay "Retaliation", a mansion mission by HipBreaker, released in 2004. A bit overlooked when it arrived (probably due to the release of other entertaining FMs as "Nightmares" and "The Night Falcon" during the same time), it's still a good mission these days and worth returning to or checking out for a first time.

Before the start, we read about the collaboration between Garrett and an old accomplice of him, Castor, to steal a valuable gem (with the not-so original name "Glorious Gem") that doesn't turns out as planned. After the theft, Garrett is betrayed by Castor and knocked out. When he gets round his fellow Thief and the gem have vanished. The betrayer would've done better to just kill Garrett, because now it's time for pay back time, retaliation. Castor purchased a incredibly large manor and on the streets outside is where your adventure starts. The story is pretty straightforward: kill castor, steal what is left of the gem and head back out.

The above doesn't mean the job is that easy, however, as the place is heavily guarded with Mechanists, combat bots and security devices. The floors are also paved with plenty of tile, loud stone and expensive marble that could spoil a silent entry. To make things easier, my advice would be to turn off the alarm systems at the various alarm stations, as once an alarm goes off there's no way to deactivate it (at least I didn't find a "Kill switch" like in Angelwatch). Oh, did I mention you have to traverse a sinister route underground, past undead and haunts, to get inside ? All not very easy. On the other hand, there isn't a knockout limit so there's no excuse to put your blackjack skills to good use.

The underground route is quite a stunning intro, as the place is dripping with atmosphere, thanks to it's inhabitants and the amazing use of coloured lightning (not only in this place but throughout the mansion as well). Once inside, the haunt for Castor can begin. Immediately notable once scouting the area if the lovely attention to detail the author put into it. The place is beautifully decorated, the use of textures is well chosen and varied, and the use of shadows and fancy (coloured) lightning is very nice . Top marks here. The supporting background music just adds to the atmosphere. Too bad the mansion is quite a maze and it can take some time to find your way around. Better to scout the place before doing anything drastic, though, then to ask one of the patrolling guards for directions.

Once you found Castor, be prepared for a fight as he is quite a powerful foe in terms of agility. And once you think he's ready to surrender, expect an hasty escape through some sort of transporter, moving him to another place in the mansion.. A nice turn of events.

Sadly some annoying flaws are present in this release version. The maximum number of guards you're allowed to kill on expert (three) also includes zombies, haunts and other apparitions, with the possibility of resulting in a mission failure when being unaware of this at first . Another things is that several KO'd guards can't be picked up, making it easy for their passing colleagues to get alerted (HipBreaker, any plans for a patched version release you considered earlier?)
    Still, these bugs aside, I've had a great time playing Retaliation again. It's a nicely designed mansion mission, with lovely attention to detail, beautiful use of lightning, and a powerful enemy to deal with. While the job itself is pretty straightforward, it's a fine mansion exploration mission, with good visuals, interesting writings and a lovely traditional Thief atmosphere to it. Mansion, Mechanists, visuals and end-boss are the keywords here.

Excellent work, Jeremy . One of the better FMs you've brought us.

Stats
    Difficulty: Expert
    Time: 1 hour 40 minutes 30 seconds
    Loot: 1609 / 1776

P.S.: HipBreaker, in case you still intent to release a fixed version, I'd recommend putting a "security station key" in the level (currently the mechanist inside seem to be locked up rather then stationed there). Or a button inside the cubicle to open the doors from the inside. Another thing I wonder is if Castor locks the door of his private quarters where he flees to in the end. In case the player's been there prior to the first encounter with him, and he notices the door locked again, it gives a clear indication where to look (rather then crossing the whole mansion again, which can become quite tedious).. Just my 2 cents.

There isn't a review of Retaliation in the FM Review Thread. With a little bit of editing, Phantom, this would be really good to include. Perhaps you'd think about it?

Archivist
    Yes I might do that (as with reviews of others I've recently played ). Guess people can find it when consulting this thread but it seems like a good alternative to have it elsewhere to those not specifically looking for this mission.

Playing on Medium.........everybody was talking about an invisibility potion, does anybody recall where it can be found????

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    dml fix for this mission

Code:
    DML1//Retaliation//Fixed banners, an objective and a flying door//miss21.mis.dml

+ObjProp 1760 "BlockFrob"          
    {
        "" true
    }
    +ObjProp 455 "BlockFrob"          
    {
        "" true
    }
    +ObjProp 1739 "Scripts"
    {
    "Script 0" TrapSetQVar
    }