TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Borrington's Castle - Updated!

Borrington's Castle - Updated!

My first fan mission was released yesterday! It's called Borrington's Castle and the objectives don't work. But don't let that put you off! You can find it at Thief: The Circle

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/

It's just a little fun, but I would appreciate any feedback!

The latest Post after this update is the 4th of May
    Last edited by Bronze Griffin; 4th May 2004 at 14:24.
    Stoked with fuel,
    We do the Builder's work.

Have allready struck, mission downloaded ready to play,let you know tomorrow as my Daughter wan'ts to use the net
    Ravenhook.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Don't you think you should get some help from the folks at The Editor Guild and get the objectives working before releasing it?

Not bad for a first attempt. A few things I noticed: Loading a saved game crashes to desktop, the lighting needs work; it's very difficult to guess where the shadows are. What are the rope arrows for? I didn't find a use for them.

I just d/l it. Your file name is miss20.mis but the Dark Mission Description is 25 & miss25.mis. When I played the FM the objectives text were read from one of my FM.

Also doesn't the titles.str have to have a complete list of miss files?

Anyway I'm going to continue playing it.

John

This map does have many problems. I used other fan missions as a 'template' to put it together and make it Darkloader compatible. This is probably why you found that the the FM the objectives text were read from one of your FM, john9818a.

When I first starting making the mission I never thought I'd release it. But I did. I confess I knew about the fact that loading a saved game crashes to desktop, but I wasn't entirely sure how to correct that as it had worked with my previous missions before. It occured to me that it was nothing serious so a turned a blind eye over that.

I didn't notice about the titles.str not having a complete list of miss files until after I had released the mission. Whoops.

The rope arrows were just for hanging from the ceiling, no other purpose.

If I decide to release another mission I'll correct these mistakes and learn how to do objectives. I was quite chuffed with the lights switching on and off, I also liked my self-made beds. What aspects of the mission itself did you like?
    Stoked with fuel,

I just got home from work so let me go in and play it.

John

Edit:
    spoiler:
    I it supposed to be daylight with max lighting outside?
    Last edited by john9818a; 26th Apr 2004 at 18:33.

I'll try this one when it's fixed . There have been too many of these released this year , I don't remember this many bug infested missions even when they were getting off the ground years ago . While I appreciate the authors efforts , buggy FM's only serve to sour the whole Thief playing experience .

Bronze Griffin

I just sent you a PM. I fixed your mission and put a link to it in the PM. The objectives and game save/load are working now, and I also added the VictoryCheck script to PlayerStart.

John

secret place in stable

I see what looks like a secret in the stable area. Is it a secret and if so how to trigger it?

thanks
    "To live in the light is to see everything, to live in the dark is to see everthing you missed in the light."

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Thanks, John. If he gives permission, it would be nice to get a fixed version up at Thiefmissions.

Originally posted by john9818a
    Bronze Griffin

I just sent you a PM. I fixed your mission and put a link to it in the PM. The objectives and game save/load are working now, and I also added the VictoryCheck script to PlayerStart.

John
    I have replied, thank you so much. This makes the mission far more worthy!
    Stoked with fuel,

Re: secret place in stable

Originally posted by safriend
    I see what looks like a secret in the stable area. Is it a secret and if so how to trigger it?

thanks
    There are no secret places in the stable area. But it is a very good idea...
    Stoked with fuel,

I am just about to play this and before doing so i noticed some text missing from the readme file!

"This level was not made and is not supported by Looking Glass Studio's or Eidos Interactive"

Every single FM must have that line in the readme file! (We don't want ye getting shot for not including that!)

Well, i just played until there was nothing else left to do then i just quit the game as none of the invisible objectives checked off! Still, i enjoyed running around this wee FM and it isn't bad!
    Last edited by sluggs; 27th Apr 2004 at 10:05.

Good job you mentioned that! Changes will be made.
    Stoked with fuel,

An entertaining little mission! I like the upstairs fountain, Also
    spoiler:
    the archer on the ledge opposite the stable got me a couple of times. I t took a while to find the hidden door behind the painting
    I heard it, but couldnt find it.

Keep up the good work. Ive messed with Dromed just to find out how things work, but all Ive learned is huge respect for everyone who can put in the time and patience to bring even a small mission up to spec.

Originally posted by Bronze Griffin
    I have replied, thank you so much. This makes the mission far more worthy!
    It was no trouble at all. One piece of friendly advice would be to allow beta testers to run through an FM before it is released. Often the beta testers will notice things that the author will overlook.

I'm getting closer to finishing my next FM. Maybe it will be done in a month or two.

Yandros

I hope Jason won't mind putting the new version up.

John

Thiefmissions.com

I will happily update the copy at thiefmissions.com as soon as a new version is available. It wasn't originally sent to me and I only added it after I saw the post here on the FM forum, but if someone (hopefully Mr. Griffin) would like to send a new version to me directly, info is at http://thiefmissions.com/hosting.html

Originally posted by epithumia
    I will happily update the copy at thiefmissions.com as soon as a new version is available. It wasn't originally sent to me and I only added it after I saw the post here on the FM forum, but if someone (hopefully Mr. Griffin) would like to send a new version to me directly, info is at http://thiefmissions.com/hosting.html
    Thanks to john9818a's help the now fully working updated version is on its way.

spoiler:
    I will add that secret door in the stable I think,
    and the books will be longer also. I shall sort that out very soon.
    Stoked with fuel,

Bronze Griffin thanks for the updated version. The objectioves and secret area definately improve the FM but I am playing on expert and can't get the loot objective to tick off. Other other objective seems to work fine.

Ease off on the port quarter boys, I think anyone who can create an FM using the abominable Dr Dromed should be pleased with themselves, Yes Beta testers will solve the problems and turn buggy games into stars, but bear in mind we wer'e warned at the start that this mission was put out with problems.
    Bronze Griffin, I liked your mission, I played it as a bit of fun, congratulations, I would like to play the polished version. hope to see more from you.
    Ravenhook.
    (the others will probably tell me to taff off)

Well, I am very flattered. Ravenhook what do you mean by "Ease off on the port quarter boys"? That seemed rather odd, or am I just being a Taffer?
    Stoked with fuel,

It's an old 18th century Naval expression meaning to lighten up on the heavy constructive criticism a little.Ravenhook

I see. Anyway, the new version is now availble! All the bug etc. ironed out thanks to john9818a! Hurrah for john9818a! Plus, a new secret area now exsists! Ooh! Can you find it? Probably.
    Stoked with fuel,

Thanks for the praise Bronze Griffin. I'm sure anyone here would have done the same thing.

About the secret area... I guess I'll have to go see if it is the one you mentioned before.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast