TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Blackjack "bubbles"

Blackjack "bubbles"

Yeah, I'm just a lil' far too late, but that can't stop me of making a new thread

I think that with those nails or whatever there is in the blackjack, the hitting area is much smaller, and the power that Garrett uses to strike with the blackjack gets splitted up in small “contact points”

I'm just thinking out loud, don't flame me just for the fact you are able to knock someone out with it, I'm just wondering why The Blackjack needs those things Maybe just to make the Xbrick kiddies happy

Looks like a small wooden baton, which is weird, as a blackjack is a spineless leather baton filled with lead shot (more like a kosh). Very heavy, with a large contact area to make a knockout more likely than an open cranial fracture.

That thing in Garrett's paw looks like a miniature club. You don't knock people out with clubs; you tend to beat them to death with them. While knockouts would be common, they would not be as common as a concussed but conscious enemy, holding his wounded head with one hand, the other on the nearest wall for support.

I like hearing from the people who know about these things. I remember one person saying (in a much older thread, back when this forum was being used for ideas for the game) how they worked in a hospital or something, and the outcome of being hit on the head varies quite randomly from person to person.

At one extreme, someone who tripped and fell was unconsious for over 24 hours or something, and at the other extreme, a guy who crashed his motor cycle woke up from his concussion in an hour.

(Well it went something like that. It was in response to a post about how long it should take for guards to wake up)

yea, the new 'blackjack' is ridiculous
    i doubt the hitting animation is using the right hold either

Well, we know the stabbing animation isn't. It's much more effective to point the blade upward and use an upward motion, more strength behind it, less opportunity to see it coming, and more oportunity to get under the ribs or neck and hit vitals.

One thing I don't like -- you can't hold the blackjack up anymore -- it's now a "click and strike ONLY".

By the way, go into 3rd person mode -- you'll see that Garrett swings it over his head as he should -- he doesn't stab.

I think it looks like some freaky S&M toy.That's an improvement in my book.

T.M.I.

The game keeps drawing a dagger when I try to draw the blackjack. Something is wrong here.

The Architect
    Rebind your keys. 1 is blackjack and 2 is dagger... you're used to 1 being sword and 2 being blackjack.

Edumacated
    I'd say that anything is an improvment over the original blackjack. Talk about unrealistic, i know it was an old engine, but the blackjack looked like it was a peice of iron shaped like a triangle
    ThiefFm Editor, Producer, and Designer of The Bluecoat's Training Facility. Sequal Fm, -> The Eye's Betrayal. 36% complete ==> CANCELLED.

BANNED
    Quite simply the new blackjack SUCKS major ASS, it is jerky, imprecise, does not work on jumps, works lousy on people who are sitting down, and it takes next to forever to bludgeon a person once they're alerted, even a civilian, about 20 hits or so, that's just ludicrous, I say give me back the ugly old triangle.
    Last edited by IHateTheUndead; 27th May 2004 at 00:01.

Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheUndead
    Quite simply the new blackjack SUCKS major ASS, it is jerky, imprecise, does not work on jumps, works lousy on people who sit down, and it takes next to forever to bludgeon a person once they're alerted, even a civilian, about 20 hits or so, that's just ludicrous, I say give me back the ugly old triangle.
    When you have the time, does backstabbing suffer from the same problems? I am curious about this being a game problem at short ranges or just another annoyance for the people who want to play Thief: DS instead of L33T Asassin: DS

BANNED
    Mr.K, backstabbing is not as frustrating as the new blackjack. Although the new dagger is a lot weaker than the sword, it can still whack an unsuspecting guard in one or two swings (although don't expect to come out on top if the guard saw you first) , it is definitely not your old backstabbing style though, not as powerful at all. But blackjack differences seem more pronounced, even starting with the fact that Garret now does not seem to be strong enough to hold his arm up in anticipation of a victim, the hit is a one click-one swing deal, it just seems unnecessary and silly.

HOWEVER, overall the game is a great experience, all complaints I have so far are minor quibbles. It is wonderful to have a new THIEF game, hugely satisfying experience.

PS: mind you I'm still only on the second level, so I can't be a 100% objective critic.
    Last edited by IHateTheUndead; 27th May 2004 at 00:05.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm a good ways into the 2nd level myself...the 1st took me about 2 hours to beat.

By the way, have you heard the guards reciting lines of scripture about Karras yet?

yea, the new 'blackjack' is ridiculous
    Actually not new, it was a club in T2 as well. No comment on if this is good, haven'tplayed it yet, but overall a club or a "true" blackjack as long as it does the trick one is no more realistic then the other in mybook, they both hurt.