TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thief Dreams/Nightmares

i have had only one thief dream. It was several years ago, but remember it pretty clear. The prelude to my dream was a late evening playing baffords mansion at the expert difficulty, while eating sweets. Before this i had seen the braveheart movie. (sweets give me bad dreams somehow) Well, the setting of my dream was something similar to the baffords cellar. And i was jogging down a corridor with a golden vase under my right arm and the sword in my left arm. suddenly a door opened in front of me and two guards stepped out. I turned 180 degrees around to flee, but that plan was cut short as there was five or more guards standing there like you see gang members stand in action movies, with cocky attitude and petting their baseball bats. Only that this time it was swords instead of bats, and armour and helmets instead of fubu and wutangclan clothes. Seeing that no shadow in the world could save either me nor my precious wase, i raised my sword and charged screaming against the guards like the clansmen in braveheart. i managed to kill one or two, but was overwhelmed and woke up.
    Note to self: Medival movies, thief and sweets= nighmares.

Note to self: Medival movies, thief and sweets= nighmares.

Ha ha...... Thief and sweets^_^

I, like many, have suffered a Thiefmare...

I was walking through my parents house (which was surprisingly large in my dream) picking up whatever salable items I saw and having a grand old time pilfering and blackjacking when I heard that metallic voice we all know so well. "Praise the builder, for he hath..." *clank* *clank* *clank*
    'Damn, just used my last water arrow on that torch down the hall.' *clank* 'Damn that fence for not giving me enough money to afford a gas arrow either.' *Clank* 'This hallway is way too narrow!' *CLANK* 'SHIT!'
    The large metallic monstrosity rounded the corner. Luckily, I noticed a shadowy closet right next to me just in the nick of time. The metal monster was walking past.
    *CLANK* *Clank* *clank*
    'Good, it's gone for now'
    I walk slowly out of the closet. I take a step... *CLOP*
    'What's this!?!'
    What once was carpet had suddenly turned into marble.
    "WARNING! I have heard... Intruder, you will not escape"
    I dove back into the closet, hoping the iron beast would pass me by. It gets to the door and turns.
    "You will not escape"
    Instead of firing a bomb at me though, it reached out a metal claw and grabbed me. I threw my arms out, trying to deflect its grasp...
    The dream ends, much to my relief, though I was still asleep.
    I wake up the next morning and walk into my living room.
    "Why did you hit me last night?" my wife asks.
    I notice she has a nice little shiner. Apparently, when the iron beast reached out to grab me, so did my wife. I elbowed her in the eye. I never told her the specifics of the dream, just that I had had a bad one. To this day I wonder why an Iron Beast. They never frightened me. I always thought they were more annoying than anything. So, not only have I suffered from a thiefmare... so has my wife...

This'll sound damn stupid. Oh well.

In the dream, myself and a friend are at a Service Merchandise retail store and I'm checking to see if the brand new Thief III board game has yet arrived. It hasn't, but I look to my left and find that they have the Grim Fandango board game! Score!

Shut up.

--Nice story weapon62 I hope your wife wasn't too mad. It's kinda funny to think that a grown man had a "thief" nightmare. (I'm not hatin', don't get me wrong, thief is awesome! )

~SG

I elbowed her in the eye. I never told her the specifics of the dream, just that I had had a bad one
    hehe. Thats probably the best thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dr. cello
    There was this house that I used to dream about all the time when I was a kid. It had these secret passages into certain areas of the house, and stuff. Very weird to navigate. .
    Woah, weird, because I have the exact same thing. Except that I still dream about it from time to time. It's the exact same house. It's huge. It's always the same. And some of the secret passages are the type of thing I'd never dream of even trying in real life, like tiny "air vent" type passages that I don't think you could even get into IRL. But I just thought it was weird that someone else had a similar situation. I've dreamed about this place hundereds of times.. to the point that it feels like a real place that I can remember vividly.

I've had tons of Thief dreams, but I don't remember much specifically. But usually it was on the more "terror" side. Like running for my life from 3 guards down twisting passages. Or walking along ledges and seeing people and guards walking around below me. Thankfully, nothing with zombies or haunts!

But when it comes to video game dreams, I think the original Diablo gave me the most hell in this regard. I used to routinely have dreams of dying and losing all my gear. I remember it happening dozens of times.. Seeing imagery of that red health ball going from full to nearly empty from one big hit, and the fear of dying (since you dropped all your gear in D1). I remember waking up, many many times, convinced that I had screwed up and lost all my stuff... Only to slowly come to the realization it was just a dream.. I hated that.

how weird. I would normally have laughed at you for this thread, but probably because I've spent a lot of time here in the run up to TDS, I did have a thief-ish dream, although I don't remember most of it. I do recall hiding in a room in the corner and spying out of the window at some one threatening, and they came in through the window or door and I remember physically feeling myself shrink back into the shadows in the corner.

I know it was realistic because whoever it was spotted me and I had to run out shouting loudly and using some kind of stick or something to beat the attacker up.

I just recently played through TGold (played TDP the 1st time), so I had a dream incorporating the Mage Towers mission. I was with a friend of mine, and we were hiding in a hallway like the ones that led from the central mage tower to the 4 elemental towers (where there are 2 guards patrolling, and a door halfway thru the hall). It was quite dark (of course), and suddenly a feeling of terror came over me as I heard footsteps coming from the right. I'm crouched and listening, when none other than Morgoth himself (looking just like John Howe's paintings--14 ft tall and so black that he seems to be absorbing light) comes striding along and walks past where we're hiding. I know, instinctively, that he's looking for me, so after he passes, I lead my friend back down the way Morgoth came. At the end of the hall was a garden/courtyard (complete with Thief-graphics shrubbery), and we hunkered down behind a shrub to catch our breath. But we must have been heard, because here comes Morgoth again, and he's starting to search the garden. Luckily, he turned left rather than right, and we sneak off to the exit passage. The dream ends with me traversing that dark passage, trying to get out, still in terror at the prospect of being found. I woke with my heart pounding.

hehehe! (i know how you feel, carist!) i had an extraordinarily funky dream last night. first i was in my old high school and while class was happening in the front of the room (an educational video was playing and there were stereotypical spitballs, rubber bands, sleeping kids, paper airplanes and the like...) , for some reason i was in the back of the room commandeering a salad-bar type thing, making subs(!?) to be served later at lunch w/ a lunch lady aiding me. between classes i would go up in the ceilings and experience a weird bonehoard-like level with only haunts no zombies, and as it ended/as i completed it i would find the drop down to the next class... in a classroom. in the last class i dropped down into my dad's truck, where a class was happening, and i participated instead of making food items. note to self :do not gorge on raisin-bran before beddy-bed!!!! :P

Quote Originally Posted by dr. cello
    There was this house that I used to dream about all the time when I was a kid. It had these secret passages into certain areas of the house, and stuff. Very weird to navigate. Anyway, I hadn't dreamt of it for a long time, but after I'd been playing Thief quite a bit, I had a dream where I was sneaking around in this house with a knife. For some reason the guards didn't know a thing about the house, but I knew it very well (because of the dreams about it). I seem to remember just creeping for the sake of creeping, and I don't remember ever seeing anyone until the end of the dream. I went into this bedroom and saw someone sleeping there, drew back my knife as if to strike, and then woke up.
    That sounds a bit like the Spiderman trailor when Harry Oswald goes to pull back spidermans mask when hes lying down and it cuts out. Just thought I'd say that

I have loads of Thief dreams but I can't remember them, although I do remember one where i had to retrieve this basket from the roof of this house, but I never got round to stealing it.

it's been awhile...don't remember real well, but I have had several nightmares about being caught by Thief guards and chased around/hacked at.

hallucifuge, your story is funny!

Here is a batch of Thief dreams I had.
    I had just played Thief 2 demo and for some odd reason I start dreaming continuous images of dayport and Angelwatch the way they are shown on the video. Even more weirder was that Sting was playing in the background.
    I had tons of nightmares involving haunts, some included finding haunts in Doom or some other FPS game.
    One dream in particular I am on a jungle with some british explorers and im carrying two big bottles of water. One of the explorers asks why am I carrrying so much water and I reply "Holy Water, in case we stumble on a Haunt". We didnt find any Haunts but I discovered that Holy Water works just as well on cannibals.
    Last dream was this evening. Im not even close to the craddle mission but I already had nightmares about it. This one took place on a ThieveryUT called "Asylum". But the level now has all the features of Thief 3. As I explore the level I start seing stuff that I had read about the craddle, chain sounds, shadows moving. Sudenly im taken by a fear like I had never experienced before. I now hear other sounds, freaking sounds that I never heard before. I carefully creep to a corner, I see a locked door nearby, but I dont want to open it cause I know some thing will show up on the corner. I hear more chains, lots of chains. I look at the corner and I start seing shadows coming to the hallway, they are dark and I cant see them, but I know they are haunts. And as I see these shadows I start getting more scared. I decide to stay where I am and wait for daylight, as I wait a voice speaks to me "The Craddle makes RTC look like Disney Land"...
    I already pre-ordered a full container of anti-undead weaponry.

That's really neat all of you people that have had dreams about a big house; I have also had recurring dreams of a large house with many many secret passages and the like. It's always a happy place in my dreams, thankfully, and all the people there are my friends.
    Maybe it's the flawless house of the Builder?

Quote Originally Posted by TheivingME
    That sounds a bit like the Spiderman trailor when Harry Oswald goes to pull back spidermans mask when hes lying down and it cuts out. Just thought I'd say that
    Heh. It was kinda like a trailer or movie sequence. Either the death is supposed to be implied, or it was just a sort of cliffhanger. I really liked that dream...

I was starting to wonder if I'd completely lost the ability to dream when finally last night I had a dream. A Thiefy one. And, being true to how much I love the mission, in my dream I was playing the fan mission Ominous Bequest. I don't remember too much of it, but I'll share what I remember. It was exactly like I was playing Thief, the graphics were the same, and when the dream started, I was choosing difficulty settings.

I didn't see the main menu because I nearly had a heart attack when the mission started, and I fell in front of a huge mansion. Looked around, and right away I realized what mission I was in. I went and played the mission, having fun with it. It was like I was testing the game out on some kind of high tech computer or something, I was able to see everything around me, and when I was walking I found tell what kind of ground I was walking on, all that. At one point I was able to smell the smell that many of the guards complain about, even. When the mission ended, things got a bit weird.

In the mission you're specifically told you can't leave through the front gates, but I managed to find a sunburst device, and I blew out the gates. When all the debris stopped flying everywhere, there was a horse and carriage on the other side. They were charging for the gate and I leapt out of the way. One of the guards came running out the front door (interesting, I thought I'd knocked all them out) screaming something like, "Master Eshaktaar, someone's broken in!" Eshaktaar's the one who made the mission, I should've figured out I was dreaming then, except I just made a face similar to this one, , then ran for it.

When I left out the front door, I was heading down a road with a bunch of hedges mazes on the side, or something. They were all shut off with doors, sort of like the garden layout in Rowena's Curse, another favorite mission of mine. I'd almost figured out I was dreaming, but I ran into one of the hedge maze sections. I found something lying in the grass, some kind of round glass object, then wondered maybe if it was a scouting orb.

Then, I realized I was dreaming, because suddenly I got a defeaningly loud e-mail. From Shodan from SS1+2, no less. Then there was a weird creeping feeling on the back of my head, I thought I'd backed into the tree that had been behind me, but when I smacked the back of my head there was a fairly sharp pain, which woke me up. I still felt a crawling in my hair, so I smacked it again, and there was another sharp pain, and a loud buzzing noise. Wasp! Talk about a weird wake-up call for a weird dream. I ended up just pounding myself in the head until it died, then went and combed the wasp out of my hair.
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

This thread is cool keep it up everyone! Cause I sure as hell wish I had a Thief dream. All I ever seem to dream about recently are girls, and other video games (like being in The Matrix or something). Which 'aint so bad, really, but what am I, fourteen years old or something? (I'm 25, sheesh)

I had a reference to Thief in my lastest dream, and it was pretty messed up I can tell you that. Damn... I was having a prettttyyy nice dream (no need to get into details here )... and then suddenly this guys appears and starts to mess up my thingie in the dream yelling and stuff, and eventhough I live in Denmark, I tell him in plain english: "fuck off taffer!". Which as soon as i said that made me wake up and wonder if I had played just a wee bit much Thief?

I've been thinking about it all day... I don't know if this qualifies... ahh well

Greets to Mariel and to everyone else who has recently kept this thread up. I won't get on any soap boxes, but Thief dreams are important. It has been mentioned that other people have had the experience of "reloading" their dreams, I get that too
    Though freakier is when the Haunts have you right where they want you, you pause, and then it UN-pauses itself.
    All my recent thief dreams have been Thief: Deadly Shadows dreams.
    spoiler:
    As many of you may or may not know, the Zombies and Haunts in that game are bad news enough, so that when the Haunts bully you into helping them storm Shalbridge Cradle...because some one stole their deep fryer (Check my statement below) or you have Zombies walking around within feet of you, them some scary dreams.

My dreams are generally messed up, but I've been both and medicated lately.

This after a late-night-turned-early-morn session of TMA...

So there I am, walking through The City (circa Ambush!, I believe), when I spot a Bluecoat (actually wearing orange, and carrying what looks like a battle standard for some reason) standing in a pool of light. I slow, then stop in the shadows, and sort of watch him for a bit. Suddenly he turns, and starts waving at me! So I press crouch, the better to hide...

"HONK!"

Honk?

My friend turns to me from the passenger seat and says "Dude! What are you doing?!?"

I sheepishly drive on by the road construction, avoiding the bewildered gaze of the flag man...

Remember: friends don't let friends drive taffed.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeYrSword+Run
    Words for us to live by...
    I have some thief dreams too, just two. I don't dream, but once every other month or so, and since I've only been playing thief for about a year thats saying something. The first was weird. I played Life of the Party to its end and laughing at the black-jacked guards on the way out. Yet when I got out I heard that insane laughter heard on the third level of The Sword. I wandered around and took an alternate route from whence I came...and ended up on the wall surrounding his house. The second was after me going back and playing Bonehoard to its end (I had not completed it out of fear in the Halls of Echoing Repose...turing that first corner...need I say more?). I was actually dreaming about the event just descibed and was sorta sleeping rather zoned out with my eyes closed on the floor b/c I had friends over...the door was shut, and I had my back to it...one came in just as I was waking up (and I wear glasses, so...) and I turned to see her coming in, wearing full black...! They laughed at me for it but still. THAT was pretty scary I had blended nightmare and reality...yeah I know, I'm a nutcase.
    Last edited by silent_shadows; 11th Jun 2004 at 23:38.
    I must be dreaming, did I hear someone say they are normal?

Not really a dream, but...
    I'd been playing Thief for a really long time the day before. My friend called me and woke me up, and I didn't get around to answering it. I said, 'I'll just reload the gamesave and get it when he calls again.' He calls later, and I was all expecting the call, but then he tells me he'd called before, and I was really quite baffled.

Screw the thread necromancy warning!

Last night I started having a replay dream, one of those wonderful nightmares that you know happened before. This particular one was a zombie dream, there was going to be an invasion and a bunch of friends of mine and I all barricaded ourselves into a fairly big house. Right when I first could see the zombies, I remembered the nightmare. Everyone got turned into lunch, including me, at the end of the dream.

I freaked out, then looked at the zombies. In the original dream, they looked like people who lived on the street. They looked like Thief zombies. I grabbed my backpack, and oh, look. Fire arrows. And lots of them. My best friend was there, and she's a good archer. I gave her a ton, and then we started shooting the huge waves of zombies. Once they stopped coming, she went to go get something to drink, and I stayed by the window. Then, I heard a scream downstairs. Went downstairs to check on her, and the next thing I know, something grabs my foot. I screamed, and kicked.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TRYING TO KICK ME FOR!" I open my eyes, and oops, I nearly kicked my mom in the face.

. . . "Sorry mom."

I'm sure more people have had odd taffing dreams, hopefully this ressurection won't be pointless.
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

-wow, i missed some stories..... *thinks to himself, i'll read it later*

lol

~SG
    My Thief FM Website
    "Those pies had enough grease to drop a Burrick!"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast