TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just Friends Part 1 May 24/04

Ghost
    I would add that this is a nice mission... but there don't appear to be any moss arrows in the entire joint, and the Chulentzes always wake up and start searching when you fulfill that side quest... which is really a bummer for ghosters.

Either a moss arrow (say, in the weapons shop) or a less sensitive couple in the bedroom would make this ghostable. I think.

I have the loot list, and I'll try to find enough to finish. Again, excellent mission, Bassmanret.

Dafydd

Thank you Nightwalker and Dafydd!

Dafydd, although I haven't experimented enough with it yet, I believe there is one other area that will make it 'unghostable'.

spoiler:
    When jumping off the ladder in the doctor's secret passage, I think the doctor's wife will always wake up.

But, as you say, I may be able to remedy both areas with a couple of moss arrows. There currently are none available, but if moss arrows will allow a perfect ghost, I'll add some, and release a new version sometime in the near future.

I guess I knew someone would be putting my mission's 'ghostability' to the test, and was looking forward to the feedback! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker
    I finished this yesterday and I must say I was very impressed with it. The city is very well laid out and the various ways you need to use to get into and out of buildings are excellent and very "thiefy". The notes and certain other "items" are hilarious and work into a very funny storyline. I could have used another rope arrow or two, though.

Overall an excellent first mission and I can't wait for the second part! Thanks, bassmanret!
    Hey, that's exactly what I wanted to write...
    (except the first sentence... I haven't finished the Mission yet - I'm still short on some loot... ).
    Incredible first Mission, bassmanret..
    Question: Will you also sing in the second part? I strongly recommend to answer with 'YES'... I had soooo much fun with the singing bass...

Thanks Dinksmallwood!

...not sure about the singing question, though. If I can get my own custom schema to work, I think the answer will be yes, but I had trouble getting it to work for me on the first part.... I actually originally planned on doing quite a few more custom sounds (and a little more noise which might be loosely referred to as 'singing' ) in part one, but I just couldn't get it to work. ....With a little luck, maybe I'll get it to work for part two, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa
    I'm stuck in this room with the two frogbeasts. I nipped up the nugget and climbed to the highest rock, but I just can't get run and jump enough to get a mantle going on the upper doorway. Did I come in from the wrong side?
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmanret
    Melissa,

You're doing fine! Just keep going! It may seem like you've reached an impasse, but you're right on track. After getting the nugget, just jump onto the boulder to the exit. It can really be done! Jump onto the small boulder, then mantle up. After this, it's easy..... well, almost...lol.

You Da' WO ...Man!!!
    bassmanret, I'm just not able to make it happen Further, every time I leap and miss, I take damage so I have to reload. I'm utterly stuck at this point. What on earth am I doing wrong?

I'm on top of the highest rock, but I just can't get the right angle or enough height to mantle into the bloody doorway. I have tried this leap more times than I care to count and I'm just frustrated and aggravated all at the same time. I'm also very disappointed because I really want to move on to the city part of the mission as I hear it's just wonderful.

Has anyone else had this trouble? I've tried I don't know how many different starting points and angles, and I even tried leaping to the top of the stalagmite in the middle of the floor. I've looked for secrets or maybe even SOMEWHERE to sink a rope arrow and found zilch.

I really need help on this one, if you please...

Thanks muchly,
    -M
    Last edited by Melissa; 27th May 2004 at 01:56.
    Your mileage may vary

Ghost

Jumping in the laboratory

Bassmanret, I jumped off that ladder twice and never woke up the wife. I did close the secret "door" behind me both times; maybe that helps muffle the noise.

Does anybody know where Mrs. Happy is? I can't find her. Or it. Whatever.

I've gotten everything but the loot; I'm looking at the loot list, and I still can't seem to find enough. I really think the loot requirement is too high on Expert (Anal?) Rather, there isn't enough headroom: as a rule of thumb, I usually think that requiring the player to find 75% - 80% of the loot on Expert is a good range. But this mission requires finding 96% just to finish!

If you miss one or two things -- such as a couple of nuggets back in the caves -- you're dead meat; you'll never finish, and you'll have to go back down, and it's a real bitch. I managed to ghost that area, but only by letting 100 gp of nuggets slide by... since I also can't get the 100 gp worth of goblets on the lower shelf in the brothel, and that's more than the 155 gp headroom, that means I can't finish. I'm going to have to forget ghosting and just bash people in the brothel, which is rather a shame.

Dafydd

Melissa, I think you may be trying to get out the wrong way.
    spoiler:
    You don't climb up the tall stack of rocks, you get out through the hole in the wall that's above one small rock. It was a bit difficult to mantle up into but not too bad.

Melissa,

I just realized that you said you're on the HIGHEST ROCK, trying to jump into the UPPER doorway! If this is true, I'm sorry I misunderstood you. The room with the 3 frogbeasts and stacked boulders
    spoiler:
    should be ENTERED from the highest doorway, and exited through the LOWEST doorway. At mission start, did you fall to the bottom of the first tall cave? If so, please start over, as you're going at it backwards. The first jump you make when you start the mission should be a diagonal jump onto a small ledge just below a doorway slightly lower and immediately to the right as you look into the first tall cavern. Then, mantle your way up into the doorway slightly above you. Follow the passage to the right, and you'll see that you enter the cave with the 3 frogbeasts from the UPPER doorway. This is the intended path.

My apologies for misunderstanding your first post, but I didn't even think it was possible for anyone to survive that great fall (unless maybe
    spoiler:
    you jump into the small pond down below
    )! Wow, that must have been weird! I hope you're not too discouraged to try it again.

Dafydd,

Thank you for checking the doctor's wife for me, it's nice to know that area's ghostable!

Mrs. Happy is
    spoiler:
    in the house immediately to the east of Mrs. Horne. I never actually put a plaque on her house to identify her, so I understand your confusion. Happy was just a temporary name I gave her until I came up with something else, but then never did. But, if you read her journal next to her bed, you'll understand why I called her that.

Sorry you're not able to ghost and get the loot requirement. If/when I make a new version, I'll add a light switch for the light behind the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanret
    Melissa,

I just realized that you said you're on the HIGHEST ROCK, trying to jump into the UPPER doorway! If this is true, I'm sorry I misunderstood you. The room with the 3 frogbeasts and stacked boulders
    spoiler:
    should be ENTERED from the highest doorway, and exited through the LOWEST doorway. At mission start, did you fall to the bottom of the first tall cave? If so, please start over, as you're going at it backwards. The first jump you make when you start the mission should be a diagonal jump onto a small ledge just below a doorway slightly lower and immediately to the right as you look into the first tall cavern. Then, mantle your way up into the doorway slightly above you. Follow the passage to the right, and you'll see that you enter the cave with the 3 frogbeasts from the UPPER doorway. This is the intended path.

My apologies for misunderstanding your first post, but I didn't even think it was possible for anyone to survive that great fall (unless maybe
    spoiler:
    you jump into the small pond down below
    )! Wow, that must have been weird! I hope you're not too discouraged to try it again.
    Whew! At least I'm not crazy

spoiler:
    No, I didn't fall. The first thing I did was use my rope arrow to clear out the tree beast's area. Then back to the vines, and, if I remember correctly, I jumped into the doorway to the right of the one that leads to the city. Climbed down, down, down and came out at the pond with the single frog beast. Stole the water arrow and continued and came out to the platform room from hell where I very much appreciated Garret's comment halfway down Manuevered until I could leap into the doorway halfway down which led to the room with the three frog beasts and where I got stuck.

I finally just back tracked last night, the worst part being climbing back up in the platform from hell area (wry grin).

I didn't go into the doorway you suggest above because I couldn't get a grip and kept falling, thus deducing that I wasn't supposed to go that way.

Guess I should offer to beta test more often - if a mission isn't obviously linear, it seems I'm sure to go a way not intended by the designer!

Tonight, Husband (who puts up with my Thief addiction with a good will) is bringing home Thief III (whee!) so I may not get back to your mission for a while

Cheers!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

Wahey!! Great mission Bassmanret

Wahey, comfy, you incredible betatester, you!!!

Nice mission.

Couple of things though...

1.) I like the fact I needed to go up and over to get to a lot of places. (We need more missions like this.)

2.) No friggin Zombies. (see above)

3.) That "dark" window up above the lighted one in that alley, where if you go through the lighted one, you end up in the attic of the sleeping couple, (I hope you know what I mean....)
    Is there ANYTHING up there worth the aggravation? I can get right to the ledge of it, but cannot get IN it. It seems empty though.

4.) I came up only 25 loot short on "medium". If there is a loot list soon, I'd love to see what I missed.

5.) Oh, and speaking of loot....Hammerites are SOOOOOO predictable.
    Last edited by [BBR]_M1Tanker; 28th May 2004 at 10:24.

Thiefmissions.com

If you go to the page for this mission at thiefmissions.com, you'll find the link for the lootlist. It's been there since the mission was released.

[BBR]_M1Tanker,

1 & 2: Thanks!

3: I think you mean the Psychic's shop (look for a sign on the west side of this building). If so, no, there is nothing in the top floor, and no way to get up there (that I know of, anyway).

4: Like epithumia said, there is a lootlist (and a walkthrough).

5:

Ok I seriously need help here. I only have one rope arrow and.....

spoiler:
    There's this building I need to go in because there's some loot inside and when I get in from the rope arrow I can't get it back and I need another one to get back out of the building after I get all of the weapons and loot on the bottom floor and there's no rope arrow down there. So I would really like to know where I can find another rope arrow but as much as I have looked around the city I don't think there is one.

Anyways really great fm!! I am quite enjoying it.

Dark Ghost Lord,

It sounds like you're talking about the

spoiler:
    weaponsmith's shop. Yes, you are correct in that you need another rope arrow to exit once you enter this shop. You must find the extra rope arrow (in the brothel), before you can get everything from the weaponsmith. You need at least two, and this requires careful use and retrieval of your rope arrows. If you've lost one, skip the weaponsmith.... you probably don't need the loot in there anyway (only 25 loot in there) . However, if you can, there are some useful items there...

Hope this helps!

That did the trick!

I missed a few (well hidden) coins here and there (5).

100% loot now.

Thanks again!

I cannot get down or up in the first part of the game. Putting a rope arrow in the tree above doesn't work either. I cannot get ahold of the rope.
    Does anyone have a better way about doing this?
    Thanks

I would reccomend another route.

spoiler:
    From starting hall, when you get to large open area with couple of other halls jump on rock right of you. And from there continue. You'll eventually reach those vine arrows.

I had difficulty jumping to the rope in the middle of the central shaft (the one that leads up to the tree beast areaand also has a frog at the bottom). I found that if I take a run up and hug the right hand wall it's not a problem. Also, if you have a 'quick save' in that area, wait for the rope to fully extend before jumping on to it coz it takes about five seconds for the rope to extend fully after reloading.

@Nens & comfortably numb,

You betatesters know all the tricks!

Great mission so far but I'm stuck. [spoiler] I have just got the objective to find out what the doctor is doing and need the key to open the door downstairs. I believe it is hidden in the kitching but I can't find it anyware. Help!! The loot objective is quite tough I only have just over 3100. Can you get inside the big white building? I could only get on top.

Sir Lance:

Doctor's

spoiler:
    look in the fireplace carefully
    So you just sit there, stuck, afraid to face reality,
    Afraid to cause yourself more pain to face insanity,
    But nothing ventured, nothing gained..
    Ra - "Do You Call My Name"

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lance
    Can you get inside the big white building? I could only get on top.
    No getting inside the white building unfortunately

Thanks ShadowWolf421 I have now completed that objective. I am now only 200 short on the loot objective but if I can't get in the white building like comfortably numb said than I can see it being some time until I finish as I though I have been everywhere. Perhaps I missed it out in the caves.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast