TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 3 Tweaks - Requests and Discussion

I haven't been able to replace the mechanicaleye_activate sound. I've done everything you said but it doesn't play the new sound it just doesn't play any sound at all... am I missing something? (this is on full version)

There are some great tweaks here ,,
    I found removing view bob brilliant
    also increaseing mouse sensitivty , why there isnt a slider in options i dont know
    also increasing the ai's hearing and vision is working brilliant
    i increased the hearing for expert to 1.8 before i could run past people and they wouldnt blink madness.
    Anyhow i just thought i would point out (if its not been already) a fix for the freezes when zooming in with the mech eye ---http://forums.eidosgames.com/
    I remembered the same thing happened with Deus EX 2 , before i applied this fix it would freeze every time i zoomed in ,, I think it affects people that have Radeon 9600 cards mainly ..
    .and any1 know a way to increase the sound of garrats footsteps , ive hardly used moss arrows

Don't know what to tell you, Tek. I have that problem with pu_loot but not with mechanicaleye_activate. Can you get get pu_loot to work?

I'm using full version too...

Quote Originally Posted by Tekmoor
    I haven't been able to replace the mechanicaleye_activate sound. I've done everything you said but it doesn't play the new sound it just doesn't play any sound at all... am I missing something? (this is on full version)

Eep, I have the results you've gotten - the mechanical eye sound works great (I really like zooming in now, I've even put the visual distortion back in - the sound was just driving me too nuts in conjunction with the distortion). But I can't get the loot pickup sound working, either. It plays just fine on my PC, and I've looked at it under a hex microscope (for lack of a wav editor on this machine.. maybe I'll look around) but haven't been able to figure out why it's only giving silence.

I have the bow upgrade
    When you idle at the main screen, a quote text screen proceeds the intro movie. Has anyone tried to get that to play, along with the movie, as soon as the game is loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Eep
    Don't know what to tell you, Tek. I have that problem with pu_loot but not with mechanicaleye_activate. Can you get get pu_loot to work?

I'm using full version too...
    No I can't get pu_loot working either... I opened SchemaMetafile_HardDrive.csc in UltraEdit, changed all mechanicaleye_activate to mechanicaleye_activat1, and put your wav in the same directory as SchemaMetafile_HardDrive.csc.

Isn't that correct?

Yea, Tek, that should be it. You only found 2 instances of "mechanicaleye_activate", right? Don't know what else to tell you...maybe you accidentally inserted/deleted a byte? Compare the sizes of the backup/original SchemaMetafile_HardDrive.csc with your hex-edited one; they should both be 36.3 MB (38,102,343 bytes)--original size, not "size on disk" (which varies depending on which file system and cluster size).

We really need a program to patch any of the sound names instead of having to do it manually with a hex editor... Maybe the creator of DXIW SoundDrone, Cascade, could be persuaded to create such a program since I used SoundDrone to extract the sounds from Thief 3. Unfortunately, I don't have an email address for him/her.

Yeah I only changed two, and the sizes are correct. I've quadruple checked everything, very weird that it doesn't work...

The only thing I can suggest is try changing them back to "mechanicaleye_activate" and see if the original sound still works. If so, try changing it again. Don't know what else to tell you...sorry.

I just found something that (IMO) makes the pause menus look a little better, and makes the blue background fog make a little more sense. Look for the [PauseWindow] section in your T3UI.ini, and put a semicolon before the "BlackScreen=TRUE" line.

Now the game will show through the blue fog when you're in the pause menus.

Hidden_7
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake
    When you idle at the main screen, a quote text screen proceeds the intro movie. Has anyone tried to get that to play, along with the movie, as soon as the game is loaded?

Or alternativly, changed the time it takes idling to play?

I have a quick question if anyone be so kind of answer for me. Is there anyway to tweak the controls to allow the holding of a button to crouch? I dislike the fact that crouching is a one button press movement.

Is there a way to "hold" crouch?

here's a tool that will fix the AI bug while playing, seems to work!

http://www.team5150.com/~andrew/project.thiefbot/

increasing loot "bling bling"

i know this might be strange, but i'd actually like to increase the visibility of the loot sparkle. i'm trying to write a FAQ for loot completion, and a few of the levels i've been unable to find those last few pieces. i'm hoping that by making the sparkle brighter, i'll be able to identify loot quicker and get this finished.

are there any .ini tweaks that some of you have found that will increase the brightness of the sparkles? i've also noticed that the loot will only light up for a second or so, then go dim. is there any way to make the sparkle continuous?

I found strange sentence in this Tweak Guide: "... Also, note that for the Light Cutoff setting, a high value represents lower detail...". Does it mean that LightCutoff=0 is the best for quality and LightCutoff=25 is for performance?
    I wonder because Default.ini contains following defaults:
    -----------------------

[VideoOptionsDefaultHigh]
    LightCutoff=25

[VideoOptionsDefaultMedium]
    LightCutoff=13

[VideoOptionsDefaultLow]
    LightCutoff=0

-----------------------

Generally I would ask about information how some game performance settings affect quality/performance in different game parts (of course, it is hardware/drivers related). For example, I can see that highest LOD setting increases quality but doesn't drop performance comparing with lowest. But I'm not sure about whole game I just played 4 missions (incl. training and day one in city).
    I started special topic for this discussion: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84672.
    Last edited by Durinda D'Bry; 10th Jun 2004 at 10:15.

BETTER KEYBOARD BOW SIGHTING & SEPARATE CREEP, WALK, RUN KEYS

Don't know if this has already been covered but it's for players who prefer the keyboard to the mouse. You may have found that compared to the mouse it is difficult to sight the bow because each keypress turns over 20 degrees so you keep overshooting. A similar thing happens when tightroping along a narrow been - the slight keypress to keep Garrett in line overshoots the other way. It's more sensitive than T1 and T2 which were also a little difficult.

To adjust the turning speed of Garrett and bow sighting edit the following settings in a text editor. If you use a feeble one like Notepad then you might need to take care with the suffix. When opening in Notepad, set the 'files of type' to 'all files' at the bottom of the open dialog else you'll only see txt files. When resaving, use 'Save As' and type the name in full 'options.ini' else it will save it as 'options.txt' It's wise to make a backup of options.ini first anyway so if anything goes wrong you can restore it. Guess all that's been said elsewhere. Here's the file...

My Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames\User Options\options.ini

The keys are listed in alphabetical order. Note that some values have a minus - sign.

Set the turn left and right keys (let's say D and F) thus...
    D=RotateRightLeft -0.65000
    F=RotateRightLeft 0.65000

Similarly, the up/down keys (let's say U and H)...
    U=RotateUpDown 0.650000
    H=RotateUpDown 0.650000

The above keys are reasonable for turning corners when running but still fair for sighting the bow and tightrope walking a beam.

If you want greater accuracy then you can set different keys for sighting, etc. and just reduce the 0.65000 to say 0.33000 or even 0.2000. 0.10000 is too fine in my opinion.

===============================

While I'm at it, if you want separate keys and your own preferred speeds for run, walk, and creep then set all those keys thus, where K is the key you want, MoveForwardBackward is the same for all, and 1.0000 is normal run speed...

K=MoveForwardBackward 1.000000

So for walk set a key to 0.5000; for creep to 0.3. 1.000 seems to be the maximum so you can't run faster than normal. Put a minus sign in front of the value for any key(s) where you want to move backwards.

Note that you can have multiple keys to do the same task just as you could with T1 and T2. This is sometimes handy and keep missing a key and hitting one that isn't used anyway - might as well set them both. Or when you two similar sets of keys, eg, normal move forward/back next to normal turn, then another set also with normal move forward/back but fine turning for beam-walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Durinda D'Bry
    I found strange sentence in this Tweak Guide: "... Also, note that for the Light Cutoff setting, a high value represents lower detail...". Does it mean that LightCutoff=0 is the best for quality and LightCutoff=25 is for performance?
    I wonder because Default.ini contains following defaults:
    From the readme file:

"Light Cutoff Turning this up slightly reduces lighting quality in exchange for performance."

I don't know about the numbers in the INI file...

Hmm, yes, interesting that the default for high end graphics cards is 25, medium is 13 and low is 0. I think this is a rare error from Mr Tweakguide, but since I can't see the difference in image quality, it's hard to tell.

LightGem

Is there any known way to make the lightgem fade to pitch black? The slightly lit blue gem confuses me as to whether I'm quite visable or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanol
    Hmm, yes, interesting that the default for high end graphics cards is 25, medium is 13 and low is 0. I think this is a rare error from Mr Tweakguide, but since I can't see the difference in image quality, it's hard to tell.
    Well, like I said, I was going off of what the readme file said...

Actually, though, I seem to remember trying out that slider, and higher does mean lower detail. On a high setting, shadows start flickering in and out when you get a certain distance from the light source...

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, or maybe I'm thinking of Shadow Detail. At any rate, are the defaults actually used for anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Mentalepsy
    At any rate, are the defaults actually used for anything?
    Yeah there's a file somewhere which maps graphics cards to High, Medium or Low, and the relevant settings are then applied when you install the game. I think they're rather conservative, my 9600XT counts as a medium, but if I had a processor to match it I could easily run all the high settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakermazer
    Is there any known way to make the lightgem fade to pitch black?
    Yes, but it's not a particularly nice way. The light gem graphics are stored in each level's files, so you'll have to use DXTool to extract the old ones, redraw each of the 16 states of the light gem with a blacker tinge, and then batch import them back in, for each level.
    Last edited by Nanol; 11th Jun 2004 at 06:01. Reason: Misquote

thanks nanol

I'll just edit the darkest level so that when it fades it'll be entirely black. The rest of the light levels should be ok. The fact that there stored in each game level (that's what you're saying right?) is a bit of a pain in the arse.Thanks again...

edit- hmm... the hudlightgem_01 texture already appears to be totally black... Darn this is kinda annoying :]
    Last edited by quakemazer; 10th Jun 2004 at 20:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Philky
    The original colours used in the thief menus (thats the colours im assuming you want?) are these colour codes

Dark green: 63, 148, 17
    bright green: 146, 255, 87
    but how to change it like "Converting RGB color to 0-1 color"
    could you change the above to colours for me ? or explain how to do it ? thx

killing music and ambient sound for good

A quick fix (thanks to SpammersDie via the alt.games.thief-dark-project newsgroup) to get rid of music and ambient sounds is to change "MusicAndAmbienceVolume=1.0" to 0 in default.ini under the [Cadence] section.

However, if you'd only like to remove certain sounds (like the annoying suspense crap) while still leaving in the truly ambient sounds like crickets and other natural sounds, check out my Thief page.

I haven't read through all this thread, but are you all aware of how to reenable the Thief3 Intro Movie so you see it immediately, without having to wait a long time or deal with the company ad videos ?

rms

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast