TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Standing Up for Thief: Deadly Shadows

The first two Thief games are available now on Steam for ten or fifteen dollars, I think.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Why on earth would anyone think they came to any valid judgement on a game by watching bad Let's Plays filled with exploits and speed-run tricks?
    Because some people are of below-average intelligence? Is this a trick question?

Quote Originally Posted by scarykitties View Post
    The first two Thief games are available now on Steam for ten or fifteen dollars, I think.
    The complete collection is on Amazon for $9

Anyway, Seckino you're the first person I heard of who prefers T3 to the others. Don't get me wrong, I think T3 is a decent Thief game, but has serious flaws: extremely cramped levels, a small restricted city, Garrett's clunky movement (the body awareness is horrible in Thief 3, it's like you're walking in mud, I couldn't play it until I installed a patch to correct that), no rope arrows...
    Conversely, T1 and 2 have generally large levels, tons of stuff to explore, a good walking\running pace... And keep in mind that they were made in 1998-2000, which is why the graphics are inferior to T3 - the graphics never bothered me, the gameplay and ambience was so awesome that the graphics were irrelevant. There's a reason why they were bestsellers.
    Anyway, play them and then post your thoughts.

scarykitties;

Thanks for the tip friend..

Azaran;

I respect your opinion about bodyawareness and this might sound weird but I like the sluggish movements in T3 because it looks more realistic to me that way(please just read first before judging)..while playing; this feature constantly reminds me that Garrett is just a human and he not only has to plan his routes,but also timings for his movements..(head turns first,then body..and only then beginning of the actual movement)
    But I think I have to agree with you on this: after the movement starts,he appears to be walking on a mud like you described..This is not realistic and also annoying..so may I ask where can I find that patch you mentioned (but I hope it would only remove the walking problem,not the whole thing)
    In Default.ini ,there is a line called bodyawareness and is set to "1"..once,somebody told me that I had to change it to "0" but I noticed no difference after doing that..
    Anyway..about the graphic issue;I think I've explained my feelings clearly in my very first post..but since it's the least frustrating subject for me,I suppose I can ignore that..
    Thank you for your comments..
    Last edited by Seckino; 24th Sep 2012 at 19:18.

Hi Seckino.

The patch is the Thief minimalist project, which you can get here
    Here's the thread on it:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103273

The movement fix isn't perfect, but it's a huge improvement to the movement (for me at least)

Oh,so that was the Minimalist P. you've been talking about..yeah I've read about it before but couldn't decide what to do,since it disables/removes a lot of things but I see now that most of them are optional..I'll give it a try right away thank you for your concerns good sir

You can thank New Horizon for his excellent work on that...Actually, with the Minimalist mod, it becomes a much better THIEF game...and as far as I'm concerned, the only way to play TDS.

Ok...I'm gonna get started with T Gold in a day or two..it appears that,there are some serious unofficial patches&mods for this game..I know every technical info that I would need is in those appropriate topics,but since you managed to motivate me in the first place,I choose to trust and listen to your advices on this..

1)3 added levels..are those the only changes made in Gold?..if so,then I won't have to worry about missing something by not playing TDP

2)Those patches..are they crucial?..are they indeed necessary for a first timer like me or should I experience the aura provided by the original package only??

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Seckino View Post
    1)3 added levels..are those the only changes made in Gold?..if so,then I won't have to worry about missing something by not playing TDP
    There are other tweaks to some levels but you won't really be disadvantaged by playing Thief Gold. There are some details in this thread but there are spoilers and you might want to avoid it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Seckino View Post
    2)Those patches..are they crucial?..are they indeed necessary for a first timer like me or should I experience the aura provided by the original package only??
    You should definitely get TFix from here as it will make getting it up and running on a modern computer a lot easier. You can skip the major additions such as improved textures, water and models but personally I think they've been done in a way that's sympathetic to the feel of the original game.

I see...I'm all set then,thank you..

Quote Originally Posted by theBlackman View Post
    Graphics.
    It's Easy.
    You don't have to make any effort to learn to play the game. It is all given to you on a platter.
    Minor engine fault.
    Arrows (that you don't understand the mechanics of) don't go Up?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yeah
    You just proved what I was saying all along.
    You want INSTANT satisfaction without working for it.
    You can't Play the game. It's too hard.
    You don't understand THIEF or the world of Garrett.

If it's 'Original" you like it? The "original" games/missions even with the not so good graphics of the time are far superior to TDS.

If, and I hope not, you are over eighteen years old age and out in the world on your own, humanity is in deep shit.
    I severely hope you're less of a pretentious, self-righteous, arrogant jackass with a superiority complex who make ridiculously exaggerated statements such as "if you like DS better than the rest, humanity is in deep shit" over a VIDEO GAME discussion than you were 6 years ago. Absolutely pathetic.

I really just logged in after reading this to necro a 13 year old thread or however old it is, though

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456