TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thief: The Minimalist Project

Thief: The Minimalist Project

Been working on this over on the Ionstorm and Eidos Forums. Just thought I would post a link here for all those interested.

Before the game came out, I planned to do a Minimalist Mod for this game. So many talented people have covered much of that ground already so the work is pretty much finished. I began the project by working on a Minimalistic Hud as a tribute to the first two games. I didn't want to completely remove the flavour of the new hud, but I did want to make it familiar.

I hope you enjoy the Hud for what will soon be the Minimalist Project. In the near future I will make an installer available. For now, I'll simply provide you with the T3UI.ini

Here is a screen shot of what to expect. The weapons and items are now located where they were in the first two games. Loot popups are minimized to 1 popup that fades quickly and appears just slightly above the light gem. Health meter stays on all the time. I'm sure there are a few more things...I'll dispense with the chit chat.

ENJOY
    Last edited by New Horizon; 28th Jun 2004 at 21:19.

BR796164
    A screenshot would help...
    Sounds like good idea to me anyway.

Screen shot is posted. Is it not visible for you?

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon
    Screen shot is posted. Is it not visible for you?
    nice, Nice, NICE!!!!!

Great idea. This gives more a Thief experience because it visually fits in with the previous titles. If your mod works fine I will install it the day I receive my copy, so I don't have to bother with T3 ugliness.

Still Subjective
    Health bar off most of the time sounded better to me. Stick this in the offical tweak thread so that the VB tweaker being worked on can incorporate it.

Will do.

Yeah, sorry about the Healthy bar. Much like the devs did I made some decisions concerning how the Hud would behave. If I had the extra time I would certainly make more than one version, but my primary goal was to make this a tribute to the original layout...perhaps not the best layout, but it's a tribute so it should be similar.

I can't seem to place this in the official tweak guide as the mods have asked not to post in it. Hopefully one of the mods will move it there for me.

Enjoy.

oooh very very nice

great idea. It'll be nice to have a less cluttered version of the HUD.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw what heights civilization can attain. When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height. ~Keeper Annals

I feels like playing thief II again. Good job.
    Does this mod effect the sales screen when visiting Fence in anyway? I read NaZu's hud made the sales screen unreadable.
    Thanks for your work.

Hehe, ive been doing the same thing all day today, same layout too (dunno why they changed the sides of the weapons & items from the other games), Except i removed those annoying cogs from the item/weapon displays. Also moved loot pickup message to the immediate right of the light gem.

One thing i would like to do is have the rotating 3d display of the item/weapon after it has been selected for a few seconds, instead of just a flat picture of it. (understand??? )
    Last edited by Philky; 2nd Jun 2004 at 12:34.

I love the new HUD a lot, so I dont need this, but nice work however

Just so everyone knows that it's still being worked on.

Very nice work, I'm tempted to give it a go despite really liking the hud as it is. I'm not sure about referring to it as 'minimalist' though, since I think the existing TDS hud fits that description already (ok it's more elaborate, but the way it works is more unobtrusive and elegant)

Working on getting an installer packaged up. I'll have a full list of what the Minimalist Project changes soon.

the link for downloading your mod seem to be dead

can you provide us another one ?

thanks.

I sure can, just hang in there. I'll have the full finished version up within a week or two and it will be installer ready with the help of our graphic guru John.P who has very kindly agreed to package it up for me.

can't wait!

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Haggard
    I think the existing TDS hud fits that description already (ok it's more elaborate, but the way it works is more unobtrusive and elegant)
    It most certainly is not. The big spinny gears are inarguably more obtrusive. The health bar that only pops up when changing draws more attention than if it were just always on. The way the gems "bounce" in when using health potions is extremely silly. The way newly selected items are large for a moment, then shrink down to normal size is pointless and distracting. And the double "Nothing" / "Nothing" when picking up a body or climbing a ladder is just bizarre.
    "Look at you, hacker, a pathetic creature who smells of elderberries. Now leave, insect, or I shall taunt you a second time."

I can't actually tell what you've changed. That screenshot doesn't look any different to what's already in the game to me.

if you look, the weapon and the item have changed places, and i think theyre smaller.

The health bar is permanently there, thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oli G
    I can't actually tell what you've changed. That screenshot doesn't look any different to what's already in the game to me.
    Hasn't really been changed, just minimized.

- smaller light gem
    - smaller gears (they are also on the original sides)
    - loot popups appear only once and are centered just slightly above the light gem.
    - no blue glow
    - gear clamps are gone
    - word "nothing" is no longer there
    - colors have changed.
    - there are other things involved that will not be seen until you play using the Minimalist Project.

I updated the picture as well.
    Last edited by New Horizon; 28th Jun 2004 at 23:49.

I used this as my HUD for a while and I must admit, it appeals a lot more to me than the new HUD. Congratulations on a job well done! A bit of an inquiry, though - maybe it's just my computer, but it seems as though the numbers move out of the screen sometimes, e.g. when they're big. When I have 30 broadheads, the '3' is halfway out the screen, likewise with the '0' if I have 20 flashbombs. Is it an alignment thing, or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by zaerkkahn
    I used this as my HUD for a while and I must admit, it appeals a lot more to me than the new HUD. Congratulations on a job well done! A bit of an inquiry, though - maybe it's just my computer, but it seems as though the numbers move out of the screen sometimes, e.g. when they're big. When I have 30 broadheads, the '3' is halfway out the screen, likewise with the '0' if I have 20 flashbombs. Is it an alignment thing, or is it just me?
    Hmmm, haven't had this problem...but I will try to adjust the numbers so everyone will be happy.

Thanks a lot! I've tried twiddling with the figures myself, but I could never orient myself to the confusing x- and y-axis stuff. After a bit my flashbomb moved in front of my light gem and I gave up. \=

Quote Originally Posted by zaerkkahn
    Thanks a lot! I've tried twiddling with the figures myself, but I could never orient myself to the confusing x- and y-axis stuff. After a bit my flashbomb moved in front of my light gem and I gave up. \=
    I'll still try moving the numbers in a bit, but I'm wondering if it could just be an issue of adjusting your Monitors on screen area? Perhaps it's bleeding off the edges of the screen a bit too much? Have to go to a wedding reception, I'll try to post the changes today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast