TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Easily Installed High Res. Textures.

Easily Installed High Res. Textures.

THIS IS AN OLD THREAD NOW - I HAVE EDITED THIS FIRST POST TO REFLECT THE CHANGES MADE SINCE IT WAS MADE, SINCE THE THREAD WAS DRAGGED BACK UP

I have made a few high res. textures and gameplay and menu specific textures, and put them into an installer that will automatically install them to your Thief: Deadly Shadows game, without any hex editing or the like on your part.

My Collective Texture Pack installer will create an uninstaller that will bring the game back to it's original state when you run it (if you want to uninstall my textures).

I have tested my installer on my own system, both install and uninstall, and it's in use by probably hundreds of gamers with few bug reports received.
    But since we're talking PCs here, and multiple PC users/configurations, I'll be up for bug reports if there are any.

I would also recommend that you use 'clean' .ibt files before you use my installer(s).
    By clean .ibt files I mean ones that are not already "tampered" with.

So - here's the link to my Thief: DS textures:

Linkage.

You will find some screen shots of how the textures look, but I would recommend looking at them ingame before making any judgement.

I hope you'll enjoy some of it.
    Last edited by John P.; 7th Nov 2006 at 10:04.

Nice to see they're up to your usual high standard. Is the installer using K^2's new ibt overrider, or does it copy them over the originals?

They are very, very nice! Damm good job!

Good Job

Very smooth textures...very, very nice. I like the installer, too. Much easier than having to hex edit. Good job, thanks...

Nate

Very Cool!

Thank You.

Great work as always, and nice work on the installers too btw.

The new Garrett textures actually make me want to use the third person camera more, they look fantastic.

Any chance of a screenshot of the new main menu backdrop? Is there one somewhere? I don't want to use that texture pack for various reasons (I've already tweaked some of those things myself, and I don't want to change the frob highlight because of those rare occasions when I use third person, it screws up the nice highlight on Garrett), but I'd be interested to see what you've done with the main menu screen, I hate it

Excellent Job!

Especially like the frob glow - very nicely done (and btw it doesnt highlight/screw the Garrett 3rdperson model).

How about some redoing of the Cradle Patients textures?

very nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Haggard
    but I'd be interested to see what you've done with the main menu screen, I hate it
    Me too. It's so blurry and low-res, it's screams "Lame afterthought" at you. Which is strange, considering the menu is often the face of the game.

great!!!wonderful!!!gorgeous!!! THANK YOU!!!

I told you before back on Ion Forums, but you can never have enough praise, right?

Wonderful. Absolutely amazing.

Absolutely outstanding!

Okay, I haven't been one to complain much about the interface. The only tweaks I did were to the mouse speed and a couple of key binds. But I do like your work a lot and I'm going to give your texture pack a try. I've backed up the two files. Here we go. Wish me luck.

By the squibs of Jesus this texture pack is the shit. Get it. To follow the glow of a water arrow across a dark room without that blue trail is such a pleasure. The copper frob - what can I say? I apologize for not earlier bitching and moaning about the frigging blue frob. It's a loathsome abomination. Thank you for this gift to us lazy bastards.

Excellent work! I've provided details and a link to your page on the last page of my Thief: Deadly Shadows Tweak Guide. Keep up the good work

Thanks for all the compliments.

I'll improve these textures over time, just like I did(tried to) with my DX:IW textures. So if you're not totally happy with how they look now, take a look again later and maybe I've improved them. I usually do, because I notice little things after a while or get suggestions of what to change that I can agree on etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanol
    Nice to see they're up to your usual high standard. Is the installer using K^2's new ibt overrider, or does it copy them over the originals?
    Actually I started thinking about how it would be possible to make an installer that would automatically override the .ibt textures some time ago(this was before K^2 announced his override tool), and I was in contact with some of the coders that had been working on the DX:IW overriders, but none of them came through in time. So I figured I had to come up with something myself.

Which was a daunting task to me, 'cause I'm no coder - believe me! I tried and tried and looked at the code for the DX:IW overriders to see if I could somehow make them work for Thief: DS, but it was all Greek to me.

But then I suddenly had a "Eureka!!" moment, and thought of the most obvious and simplest solution; to batch hex edit the files.

So that's what my installers do. The downside to that is that it's not an "intelligent" way of doing it; my installer doesn't search through all the .ibt files to see if the texture is there or not. Instead, I have to manually go through all the .ibt files beforehand and see which ones share that specific texture, then include those .ibts in list of .ibts to be overridden by the installer.
    That just means more work for me though, and isn't noticed by people using my installers. I may incorporate K^2's override tool later though, as it would perhaps be a more 'intelligent' installer then, and less work for me.

That was the hex editing part of the installer. The rest of it I already had some experience with from making my DX:IW texture installers. They are NullSoft NSIS 2.0 installers.

Great work, John!!

*sob*

For some reason, I cannae get the pretty pictures to work with my system...

I install them, load up TDS and ... STILL MIT DER SCAR, even though I installed the noscar option!!

Could someone provide me with a helpful tip? Am I just not getting something??

.j.
    D Jeremy Brown - Black-hearted taffer, underworked editor and Karaoke War-god.

Anything not nailed down is mine.
    Anything that can be pried loose is
    by definition not nailed down.

Just popping-in to say "THANX!" to John P.

Excellent!!

The textures are excellent! Great work, John P.!!! They actually make my focus more on Garrett , rather than the game.

Now, as was suggested in another thread, and seeing you have done some "fun" textures for DX2, how about making a naked Garrett (not completely nude, with a Tiger thong, for example). It would be funne as hell to see him hide naked in the dark!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Solabusca
    For some reason, I cannae get the pretty pictures to work with my system...

I install them, load up TDS and ... STILL MIT DER SCAR, even though I installed the noscar option!!

Could someone provide me with a helpful tip? Am I just not getting something??

.j.
    If you downloaded the JohnP.s_Garrett_Face_Without_Scar_Released_June_11th_2004.exe file, and ran it, the face without scar should turn up ingame.

But:

* Do you have the full version of the game(not demo)?

* Did the installer point to your Thief - Deadly Shadows root directory(main/first folder)? If it doesn't by default, then browse to it.

* Are your .ibt file Properties set to Read Only(they shouldn't be)?

Other than those things, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Haven't tried this yet, but I have a question: where did you get the high-res textures? Are they hidden in the game somewhere and the installer just unlocks them? Or did some artisan paint new high-resolution textures and they're included in the installer?

These are high resolution(well, higher than default anyway) textures made by me. That is to say, I've repainted the originals to some degree.

So these are not 'official' Ion Storm textures.
    -But on the other hand, you won't get official high res textures from Ion Storm, so...

Holy crap, excellent work John! I can't wait to try this when I get home! If the game looks anything like your screen grabs, then you did some fine, fine work!

These look great, John! Well done.

-- Ducky

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast