TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FM Proov is done.

FM Proov is done.

I finaly found the time to end that little FM (sorry that it took so long)

FM: http://www.ut.ee/~zombi/stuff/fmproov1p2.ss2mod (~1.6MB)
    + a little readme for it http://www.ut.ee/~zombi/stuff/readme.html (Read to find out more about this FM)

Feedback greatly apreciated
    ----------------------
    Changes from last test build (73): Dozens of bugs fixed. Some random little changes. Some traps . Environment sounds. And there is a ending point for the mission at last. Some areas finished.
    ----------------------
    Changes from last relase (1): The right full.pcx for nice tex. family added. The latest shock2.gam added (oops) and improved (random useless loot). Added radiation (geiger counter) sounds. Fixed 3 texture misalignments (that likely noone would have ever noticed). Removed lights without lightsource from some places (or added some lightsources). Improved the shuttle room a bit. Added a security key outside security area for easy difficulty. Changed that annioning blinking light near adminstration door.
    ----------------------
    Changes from last relase (1p1): One of the Psi-reavers had problems with his brain (none present with normal difficulty and two brains with impossible). Also - found that one of the cameras doesn't triger alarm, but decided to keep it that way (i think). And that is all.
    Last edited by zombe; 9th Jul 2004 at 14:30.

ZylonBane
    Looks interesting. I'll have to give it a spin over the weekend.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 2nd Jul 2004 at 16:45.
    "Look at you, hacker, a pathetic creature who smells of elderberries. Now leave, insect, or I shall taunt you a second time."

Can you upload a version for those of us still not with the times that don't use the mod manager?

Quote Originally Posted by JediKorenchkin
    Can you upload a version for those of us still not with the times that don't use the mod manager?
    Just rename it to rar and extract the mod directory content - i think there is not much point to upload the same thing. But if really wanted - i could upload one to Wugles.

ZB: Dooh, i must have been in prety bad mood when i wrote that (the file was a placeholder from previous build) - correction on the way (only 2 lines of it did survive ).

You assume with this post that everyone has heard the hype about this "FM Proov." I haven't.

After playing it for a while I'm sure there will be a new hype.
    This FM does what ss2 seldomly does yet: It scares me.
    It plays like a best of ss2, using heavy effects without relying on them.
    There's one thing you feel on every corner: It's gamer's game.
    Don't feel safe with your old tactics!

Kolya

Sure. I found plenty of ammo. Meanwhile I spent 15 minutes hiding from zombies looking for something, anything that would kill them. Ended up slowly dying from toxin, hiding in some crates until I perished.

Isn't that fun how much you fear a single hybrid when you got nothing on your hands?
    And then you find out it's not a minimalist's adventure... there are more enemies and you still have nothing to show but running and hiding. Superb.

Kolya

I do believe this level is impossible Zombe

someone help me (read spoiler)

spoiler:
    After finding all key cards up to cargo (which leaves me with cargo, Deck 2 Crew, the Science Sector, Medical, and Research and Development) I cannot find any use for the cargo key, the remaining locked doors are Shuttle Bay (2?) the door requiring the admistrator pass, the disable elevator shaft, and maintenance. My best guess is you either 1. Made this too hard for my item-searching-for skills 2. Put the wrong keys down IE Research and development should have been administration door key, or (more likely) the cargo bay key should be opening the shuttle bay doors.

@BlackJack21:
    spoiler:
    You seem to have the cargo key, but have you found the cargo room?
    On the upper level of maintenance there is a door to there - but the door won't open even if you have the key due of some power failure. You can fix it - nearby.
    Impossible? Don't think so, but on what difficulty level you play it?
    *Interesting. You are the second player i know who got stuck there - seems to be a popular place to do so. \Me wonders: why?*

*wonders who that other player was*

well i got past that problem now another one:

spoiler:
    Where the fuck is the security keycard? I have opened all other known doors except the security forcefield and security door in maintainence.

Taking a break
    Ok, call me a blind lame crazy fool, but I just can't find ANY weapon. I even did a few 'suicide runs', but there just isn't any... so, anyone will tell me where to find wrench at least?

Or is this all-sneak-untill Maintenance(read: suicide) mission?

[Edit] After an unsuccesfull attempt to build Tower of Babel from chemicals(I have plenty of time because I locked hybrid in Food room), and before I tried to push boom boxes near, I actually managed to jump and grab the ledge near Engineering door. I found Wrench, so I take I'm supposed to actually do this.

Clever, mr. Cheng.

[Edit2] It's getting late and SS2 is strangely busy with the CD, which results in lags, so I'm gonna just post a few comments and complete rest after a reinstall tommorow. Dude, I don't know much about FM's, but this one just rocks. And by 'rocks' I mean it's so hell detailed - grat job, man! If this is your first one then, well, keep 'em coming
    Last edited by Koki; 3rd Jul 2004 at 17:36.

It's quite a difficult mission, though with beautiful architecture; not as difficult as it was in the beta version but hard nonetheless. I'd recommend the adition of a wrench earlier than in the Maint area in order to reduce the frustration factor.

Again, the visuals are quite breathtaking, especially in Maintainance.

Taking a break
    The thing that took my breath was Elevator Shaft. Briliant.

But Maintenance, too, was a breathtaking. In a 'My lungs are burned by another turret/Midwife' sense.

@BlackJack21: Where is the security keycard.
    spoiler:
    The only ones are inside the area that needs the card to get into! Your only option is to disable the forcefield. Find some equipment you can break

If still in trouble then:
    spoiler:
    So, the thing to break is in the same area - one of the junktion boxes at ceiling on one of the rooms on lower level.

NOTE: The security area has a really nasty trap in it when you play with Hard or Impossible difficulty - don't save your game when you are siting in one

@koki: Geting a weapon: The key to maintenance is depending on difficulty level: for easy/ normal it is on top of a box in Watts room and for hard/ impossible behind the box in Watts room.
    About skiping the door to get into maintenance: that was clever - and not a intended way. But a way nonetheless

As noted by alpha/beta test players: first you don't have any weapons but ammo - until you suddenly get A LOT of weapons and ammo for them - and the end has no new weapons and NO AMMO for present weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki
    (I have plenty of time because I locked hybrid in Food room)
    LOL How the hell did you do that? (Quote from one of Roman Atkinson show: about Jesus making wine). If the door closes when hi is inside the room - he sure gets traped there, BUT he has a GUN!!!
    Btw: with a higher difficulty - there is a camera . You have a camera nearby there?

edit: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann
    *wonders who that other player was*

I have a little problem, where you and other alpha/beta testers could help:
    I have changed one texture in maintenance area - to a animated and lit one. Unfortunately it doesn't fit there (+ i found that the palette file i added is much brighter than the one i used in my own play test) - it somewhy looks just horrible
    So the question to people who have seen both versions (unlit with red lines & lit and blue animation) - should i change it back or let it be the way it is (and fix the palette for it only - the gray part to much darker brownish)?

Look at the first post in thread...
    Last edited by zombe; 4th Jul 2004 at 13:51.

I just have one question before I start playing.

spoiler:
    Spiders? Or no?

@JediK: A "little" only in science sector - nowhere else.
    Last edited by zombe; 5th Jul 2004 at 17:57.

A little? More like Arachattack!

About the fix: This won't work permanently with modman-installation I guess?
    I will include it in my .ss2mod just to be on the safe side.

Kolya

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya
    A little? More like Arachattack!
    How many are we talkin'?

spoiler:
    About 5-6

Zombe, great job on making a real FM for SS2, although I must be brash, IT WORKS LIKE CRAP ON MY COMPUTER.

Think you could make an....err low poly version of it?
    Just open it in ShockEd and randomly delete some objects/complicated brushwork (while avoiding quest items). So I can at least play it. Maybe there are others, I don't know. But it's hard to sneak at 3-4 FPS.

It's not big, so uploading shouldn't be much of a problem.

@JediK: Depending on difficulty 6?-19 (\me wonders: how many of them are in original game?)
    Also - i forgot the 2 invisible ones in crew sector ... 21 then

@Kolya: Yeah - to make it permanent add it also to the relevant directory under ss2mm - and update *.ss2mod. I will update the ss2mod archive sometime - but not yet (partly because my uni acount is over quota which means - i can't upload anything, only delete. AND it's not a too big bug to make a new relase - waiting for more possible bugs to be found ... etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Thiefsie Fool
    /.../at 3-4 FPS.
    !!!

Aww - it did work nicely even on my old ancient pc (300MHz celeron + crap gpu): Willing to give more info about your pc?

Level geometry is actually very simplistic. And deleting something, that could significantly improve fps, that isn't important to the level is - well - kinda hard.
    Last edited by zombe; 4th Jul 2004 at 19:32.

Here's a little game: How many spiders can you spot?
    spoiler: Click

Kolya

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by zombe
    LOL How the hell did you do that? (Quote from one of Roman Atkinson show: about Jesus making wine). If the door closes when hi is inside the room - he sure gets traped there, BUT he has a GUN!!!
    Btw: with a higher difficulty - there is a camera . You have a camera nearby there?
    I am playing the first time, so I got Easy... and locking him wasn't so hard, because hybrids(and bots) move backward if you get close to them That hurt a bit(About 20 points of health), though.

About the forcefield:
    spoiler:
    I would NEVER thought about that. I just didn't know what to do and I started breaking things for fun... and when I get to FF it's open. LOL.

NOTE: The security area has a really nasty trap in it when you play with Hard or Impossible difficulty - don't save your game when you are siting in one
    Please tell me that you don't mean a long room with hell of Power Overrides and radiation? I'm playing on easy, but I can't get out, And yes, I saved my game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast