TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: The Far Cry SDK is out

The Far Cry SDK is out

Far Cry is the only game I've seen so far that could do Terra Nova's massive landscape with modern graphics.

The SDK is now out, so maybe a Terra Nova mod is a possibility?

http://www.farcry.ubi.com/

I'm keen to see how "Tribes: Vengeance" turns out... I think that would be a more promising platform for a TN mod in many ways, given all of the existing similarities between Terra Nova and Tribes.

What about using UnReal Tournament 2004 or even UnReal 3 (when it's done)?
    If you don't mind a little programming then the Torque Engine (Garage Games) is up to the task.

Tribes: Vengeance is based on a recent version of the Unreal engine already, but (importantly) with things like jet-pack physics already built into it!

The Torque Engine would be fine, but just doesn't look quite as nice as Vengeance. Torque was (essentially) used for the previous Tribes game, of course. The new Torque Shader Engine (if I got that name right) could be a winner, OTOH.

There are certainly decent possibilities about.

I guess it'll depend on how much a group is willing to code. I've gone through UR2004 thoroughly in preperation for an upcoming mod (just missed the UnReal Contest) and learned that Unreal Script is very flexable for a script language. Coding a jet pack is simple but if somebody has already done it then that's good too.

TSE doesn't provide a new terrain engine but that can always be replaced (I'm considering it with a SOAR engine I've been working on) but of course the main advantage is that you got the complete source code. Actually if you replace the quad terrain engine in TSE with SOAR and add in the SpeedTreeRT SDK (http://www.idvinc.com/html/speedtreert.htm) then you''ll have an amazing terrain engine - much better than UnReal.

Remaking Terra Nova from a coding standard point is pretty straight forward. I think getting together a talented group of designers, modellers, and artists who'll remain dedicated is more of challenge then any thing else.

Previously Important
    Doesn't seem to be much of an SDK, however. Pretty much just model export stuff. No 3dsMax 6 support, either.

I think the term SDK has become far too mangled lately. SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT KIT.

Not "Level Editor"
    Not "Level Editor with import / export apps and plugins"

I really wish people (developers and fans) wouldn't call something an SDK if it isn't one. SDKs include source, and not jsut for plugins / exporters.

That said, this bit of goodness for FarCry is perfectly powerful and robust enough to get TCs going... And it will be heaps of fun to play with. It's just not an SDK. >:|

Uh...hehe...it IS a SDK it's just not a terrain engine. You use it WITH your own terrain engine. TSE, URT2004, Far Cry all have their billboarding (for grass & small plants) and LODed trees etc it's just SpeedTree does it really good. Since I'm working a bare bones terrain engine I considered it as an option but for something like a Terra Nova remake it really isn't unless you're a hard core game programmer with extra time on your hands. Modding a current engine is the best route.

Previously Important
    Not a terrain engine? The CryEngine is virtually nothing BUT a terrain engine.

I was referring to SpeedTreeRT SDK.

BANNED

Is the engine used for Codename:Outbreak dead?
    Will the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. engine ever be made available? Might finally be too much to deal with.
    Maybe macro tools and not engine controls will be the way to manipulate macro tools and never touch code or even simple tools again. Time waits for no mod.

I'll probably get and start FarCry about A.D. 2012lol.

Previously Important
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt.blood
    I was referring to SpeedTreeRT SDK.
    AHA!
    Okay, ignore me. I am confused.
    Or at least, I was confused.

Now I am looking up this SpeedTree thing and too busy being impressed to be confused. If there's one thing I'm ALWAYS looking for, it's better vegetation generation and handling.

Not sure I have $10k to drop on a license for it, but the demo will fascinate me for a long while.

Well they do have a license option for $600 up front then royalties paid per unit sold which was (is -- haven't decided yet) the route I was going to take. I have an eval SDK on my machine and have been examining it. It looks fairly easy to implement. I think it's worth the $$$ if you have it.

The SpeedTree/Unreal demo looks absolutely gorgeous, except that the branches sway way too much. It looks to me as if everything other than the main trunk of a tree sways significantly in the 'wind', which means that the enormous primary branches of a really big tree are bending all over the show like they were made of particularly wobbly rubber. A bit of tweaking required there, methinks. Otherwise, it's superb.

The viewing distance was really horrible, though... Is there a way to change that in the demo?

Unfortunetly not. Field Of View is the only thing you can adjust in the demo. Alot of it has to do the way the map was made. I don't think they made the levels so constricted so as to keep the frame rates up, SpeedTree is supposed to handle alot of objects in a terrain scene at once. So I don't know why.

You can of course adjust how much wind, if any, you want in a level. I think they exaggerated for effect. But it's a great feature to have.

If I read correctly UnReal 3 is supposed to include SpeedTree. So along with the new lighting engine and SpeedTree, UnReal 3 should look awesome!

If anybody is going to remake Terra Nova and thinks they'll be ready in the next year or so then Tribes: Vengeance (like you mentioned already) looks like the best bet. UnReal 3 is coming out 2006 which will make an even better choice. Time is on our side!
    Last edited by cpt.blood; 7th Aug 2004 at 21:52.

Quote Originally Posted by cpt.blood
    You can of course adjust how much wind, if any, you want in a level. I think they exaggerated for effect. But it's a great feature to have.
    What they ideally need to do (or improve) is adjust the effect of the wind on a given branch based on both that branch's depth in the tree, and the physical size of the branch. So on a tree with really skinny branches, even the primary branches directly off the trunk would sway a bit in a decent wind; but on a bigger tree, you most likely wouldn't see any movement on those big solid primary branches, but the smaller outer branches would certainly move.

Having said that, unless you stop to look closely it's fine as it is. When you do stop and look, though (which you certainly do in a demo of trees :) it looks quite strange. It still looks much better than pretty much anything else I've seen, but I hope they continue to improve it to make it more realistic.

I wonder if the viewing distance is editable in a config file? Anyone know a standard Unreal config file option for this?

I heard STALKER: oblivion lost
    has teh same thing

Quote Originally Posted by KoHaN69
    has teh same thing
    Wtf?! Damn necrothreadians.

Quote Originally Posted by KoHaN69
    has teh same thing
    Kohan, please tell me your online persona is just a big joke you're playing on us.

Its not oblivion lost any more its shadows of some radioactive place in some ex russian state, whos name I can't spell.

Quote Originally Posted by belboz
    Its not oblivion lost any more it's Shadows of Chernobyl
    There, I helped your memory a little.

Although... looks like it's supposed to be just "Shadow" (singular)

:wq Navyhacker

That new name sucks collective dev arsehole. Shadow of Chernobyl? Why not Shadowy Fear of the Thing From Chernobyl, for god sakes?! Oblivion Lost may sound like fake artistic moolaah, but it's ten times better than any title with shadow in it.