TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Garrett floating and skating glitch when jumping

Garrett floating and skating glitch when jumping

After installing a fresh new Thief Deadly Shadows install with Sneaky Upgrade version 1.1.10 Even using the Sneaky Tweaker tool doesn't fix it either. Garrett floats and skates around when I press the jump button. Either with the Collective Texture Pack enabled or disabled, he still gets stuck unless if I bump into a ledge or a wall, he will go back into normal standing state. I have the head bobbing set to 1.0 which is the default, man I always seem to run into minor problems with all of the Thief games so often these days. But this one looks easy to fix, just can't figure this one out that quickly.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Unfortunately this is a very hard issue. It seems that some people are hit worse than others. I only occasionally get it myself, and even if I got it all the time it's unlikely that I could fix it. So unless someone finds an easy fix (it happens, like with the 'frozen cursor' bug), then it's unlikely that this will ever get fixed.

You can try experimenting with various graphics settings - vsync has been known to make a difference. You can also try with and without the local d3d8.dll in the System folder (i.e. see if D3D8 vs D3D9 makes a difference).

I think when I had this I was able to correct it by drawing an arrow, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly. That at least is easier than trying to find a ledge to fall off.

Do you mean if I try to uncheck and disable the "Frozen mouse cursor fix" in Sneaky Tweaker, it could fix Garrett's animation not floating and skating around? I'll do both, just not deleting the d3d8.dll file, just in case if I still need it. Just moving it to my desktop temporary. I have Vsync enabled, should I disable that too? Yeah, someone did mention about drawing an arrow from another thread that they experienced a temporary fix, but it's not much unfortunately. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll do just that to see if that's another way to see if it fixes it.

Update: Garrett's animation when I jump is now working correctly again, he's not floating or skating like he was before. I tested the jump function several times. All I did was remove the d3d8.dll file out of the system folder in my Thief Deadly Shadows directory to my desktop. Could still be an important file for the game. But I didn't delete the file completely, should I just delete the d3d8.dll file anyway?

Another thing I want to mention about the loading screen quotes I get between missions. The quotes are no longer shown, just showing Garrett and the mission preview of the environment. How do I get them back?

Also, the game's intro movies doesn't work anymore, the game just loads up to the main menu without the intros, I switched between "Short Movies" "Trailer" and disabled in the "Intro Movies" function in Sneaky Tweaker, the game doesn't acknowledge it anymore rather if it's enabled or disabled. Whatever happened prior to installation of the game, it seemed to cut off the intro and the loading quotes.
    Last edited by mcmike1489; 16th Jun 2019 at 14:35.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by TriangleTooth View Post
    I think when I had this I was able to correct it by drawing an arrow, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly.
    You're correct - and if you draw the bow only a bit, then you can just let go without wasting an arrow (and if you draw too far, hit Escape or jump, IIRC).

Quote Originally Posted by mcmike1489 View Post
    Do you mean if I try to uncheck and disable the "Frozen mouse cursor fix" in Sneaky Tweaker, it could fix Garrett's animation not floating and skating around?
    Nope - not related to the floating bug at all, it was just an example that sometimes people find easy fixes for weird bugs.

just not deleting the d3d8.dll file, just in case if I still need it.
    Renaming or moving it is just as good. Keep it around for experiments.

Update: Garrett's animation when I jump is now working correctly again, he's not floating or skating like he was before. I tested the jump function several times. All I did was remove the d3d8.dll file out of the system folder in my Thief Deadly Shadows directory to my desktop.
    OK - then you're back on Direct3D 8. I think that means that vsync is broken. So if you didn't already, try putting the DLL back and disable vsync in-game and see if that fixes it too.

Could still be an important file for the game. But I didn't delete the file completely, should I just delete the d3d8.dll file anyway?
    The local d3d8.dll is installed by the SU and it's not essential. If the game works for you without it, then all is good. But if reinstating it and switching off vsync is also a solution, then you may be better off that way.

Another thing I want to mention about the loading screen quotes I get between missions. The quotes are no longer shown, just showing Garrett and the mission preview of the environment. How do I get them back?
    Also, the game's intro movies doesn't work anymore, the game just loads up to the main menu without the intros, I switched between "Short Movies" "Trailer" and disabled in the "Intro Movies" function in Sneaky Tweaker, the game doesn't acknowledge it anymore rather if it's enabled or disabled. Whatever happened prior to installation of the game, it seemed to cut off the intro and the loading quotes.
    No idea what's going on here, sorry. Provide more information if you can.

Thanks, for the jumping/skating glitch issue fix. I will check that out. As for the missing loading screen quotes between missions and the intro movies not playing, it maybe because something is disabled to play the opening Eidos logo animation. But, it's not that important since it's not affecting gameplay at all.