TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: I am one REALLY mad dragon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  1. #26
    New Member
    Registered: Dec 2004

    hey,hey,hey

    Quote Originally Posted by Always_Black
    Oh, now I'm a figurehead? I don't know about where you live Mr. Cobb, but where I'm from a man doesn't stand idly by and let someone just call him a figurehead.

    That's fighting talk, mister.
    Whoah guys, I'm pretty sure he meant it to mean a leader!

  2. #27
    New Member
    Registered: Dec 2004

    more info please

    Quote Originally Posted by Erkki
    Maybe I should try it too... strange to think that I'm making a Deus Ex mod myself and the only one I've actually played so far is Cassandra...
    So what's the current state of your project? Got a name yet? Care to let us in on at least the basic premise?

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cogito,ergo,sum. Cogito.
    Wherever you go,there you are!

  3. #28
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: Tallinn, Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD DRAGON
    So what's the current state of your project? Got a name yet? Care to let us in on at least the basic premise?
    I was trying out some CMS systems yesterday, and I'm getting started with making the website. So more will be revealed soon. No final name yet, but the codename is Mansion. The mod will be more of an adventure game with practically no action.

  4. #29
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: Tallinn, Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by colcobb
    and there are rumblings that parts of the Narcissus Entity might see fit to investigate the code entity known as the Source Engine one day.
    That sounds like a great idea. I actually thought of dropping my Deus Ex mod and do something with the Source engine, but then I took an initial look at the SDK and as I noticed there wasn't yet a lot of developer/community support (and I didn't have Visual Studio .NET), I decided to start working on the DX mod again and finish it. After that (if it's going to happen) I'll probably take a look at Source again, or maybe UT2004 or something.

  5. #30
    New Member
    Registered: Dec 2004

    specific appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Erkki
    I was trying out some CMS systems yesterday, and I'm getting started with making the website. So more will be revealed soon. No final name yet, but the codename is Mansion. The mod will be more of an adventure game with practically no action.
    Well, I can tell you right now that if there's not much action but mostly exploring and\or puzzle solving (the two main aspects of an "adventure" game), you will still have a lot of people enjoy it (Myst did'nt exactly bomb ya know!), BUT- most of the Deus Ex crowd will probably not get much from it,
    but only because the DX context is that of action; aggressive response
    to conflict.

    I'll give it a go of course- it's nice to play a game that does'nt require a high
    body count, from time to time.

    OH,one last thing-you'd best concentrate on story.That's just about the most important thing in that genre.(that's partly why Myst did so well-
    intrigue!(of course it's gorgeous graphics did'nt hurt none either!))

    ----------------------------------------------------------------

    Cogito,ergo,sum. Cogito.
    Wherever you go,there you are!

  6. #31
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: Tallinn, Estonia
    A lot of adventure game players also have Deus Ex. To be honest I've never intended the 'target group' for this game to be the Deus Ex community particularly, but rather the adventure game community. I'm not expecting a whole lot of popularity for this mod, because of the limited target audience...

    And of course I'm focusing on the story. Actually it's mostly a remake of a freeware 2D game with a great story, but I'll be expanding it.

  7. #32
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: The North, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Erkki
    That sounds like a great idea. I actually thought of dropping my Deus Ex mod and do something with the Source engine, but then I took an initial look at the SDK and as I noticed there wasn't yet a lot of developer/community support (and I didn't have Visual Studio .NET), I decided to start working on the DX mod again and finish it. After that (if it's going to happen) I'll probably take a look at Source again, or maybe UT2004 or something.
    Yeah, I'm just tinkering with it at the moment to get a feel for whats possible, and even compared to DX modding, there are some serious user-friendliness deficiencies in the tools. Those guys could learn a lot from Unreal SDKs's.

  8. #33
    New Member
    Registered: Dec 2004

    SDKs

    I've seen this used enough to know that it has to do with game editing, but since I am pretty new to this ding-dong machine called the computer could
    someone please tell me what SDK stands for?

  9. #34
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: The North, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD DRAGON
    I've seen this used enough to know that it has to do with game editing, but since I am pretty new to this ding-dong machine called the computer could
    someone please tell me what SDK stands for?
    An SDK is a software development kit, and its basically the tools that you need to make a mod for a game, so in the case of DX, it comprises the map editor, some source code, the conversation editor, model converters etc.

    If game developers dont release an SDK, its pretty much impossible to make any meaningful mods for it (not always, it depends how the game is made really).

  10. #35
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: Tallinn, Estonia
    But sometimes some very clever people find out the structure of the game files and create their own tools. The GTA games for example. GTA1 had the most mods in the series probably, it was also a much simpler game.
    I don't know how they do it though, never been interested in trying to do stuff like that (hacking into binary files and trying to figure them out).

  11. #36
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: The North, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Erkki
    But sometimes some very clever people find out the structure of the game files and create their own tools. The GTA games for example. GTA1 had the most mods in the series probably, it was also a much simpler game.
    I don't know how they do it though, never been interested in trying to do stuff like that (hacking into binary files and trying to figure them out).
    Yeah, very true. Although I think as games have gotten more complicated, its increasingly harder to make your own tools to mod them.

  12. #37
    New Member
    Registered: Dec 2004

    appreciation

    Quote Originally Posted by colcobb
    An SDK is a software development kit, and its basically the tools that you need to make a mod for a game, so in the case of DX, it comprises the map editor, some source code, the conversation editor, model converters etc.

    If game developers dont release an SDK, its pretty much impossible to make any meaningful mods for it (not always, it depends how the game is made really).
    Thanx, now I know! You're an

  13. #38
    New Member
    Registered: Nov 2004

    Gotta agree with Mad Dragon

    It really was the pits to have this *wonderful* leadup to what must be the biggest anticlimax since has there ever BEEN a bigger anticlimax?

    One of the developers said in another thread that

    Anyway, to this rambling being, The Cassandra Project was to game mods what fully independent remote control robots are to GCSE design projects.
    In other words, not bloody likely

    I just wish you'd put that into the original game. Instead of all that "save for next time" and "we are carving out your future thoughtspace" Maybe a notice on your website at the begining of 2004?

    That would have been best but water under the bridge. Gotta move on now.

    Something in the back of my mind always figured that the Project was gonna die or that id be 70 by the time the next installment came.

    I wonder. If the team had been less ambitious (with the new lockpick and mulitool bypassing systems for example) could the first episode have been done in a year with others to follow?
    Last edited by TCPfan; 3rd Jan 2005 at 00:03.

  14. #39
    Member
    Registered: Aug 1999
    Location: Bath, England.
    If we knew all that we know now about modding DX, I think we could have done the first episode in a year. Maybe less.

    (Certainly if we kept it to the original design doc instead of being distracted constantly. And always being over-optimistic on what DX could stand without breaking)

    But it's called a learning curve for a reason.

    KG

  15. #40
    Member
    Registered: Aug 1999
    Location: Bath, England.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCPfan
    I wonder. If the team had been less ambitious (with the new lockpick and mulitool bypassing systems for example) could the first episode have been done in a year with others to follow?
    It should be noted that it's not actually *these* things which caused any significant delays. They were relatively small changes.

    Delays were mainly based around DX *not working properly*. Like - say - designing a level to discover that it would no longer support the pathfinding due to over-complication. Or, as 58 will testify, weapons importing.

    KG

  16. #41
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: The North, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Brem_X_Jones
    .... Or, as 58 will testify, weapons importing.

    KG

    ARGHHHHH, the triangles, they BUUUUURRRRRRNNNNNNNN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •