TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: A Thief's Holiday 2004 * UPDATED Dec 2013

Thiefmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheNightTerror
    Don't you think it's overkill to bring your Thief 2 CDs and a burnt CD to someone else's house to show them one mission?
    Is that a trick question?

I don't know if it's quite a trick question, it just seems like going overboard to go through all the trouble of installing a game, an FM manager, and and FM to go with it, to show to someone who probably doesn't play the game and won't be able to after you leave.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a
    I have you to thank... Because of those amazing snow balls you made, we had snow here in the Houston area. This is a white Christmas come true. Thank you Yandros.
    I finished it on Expert yesterday night, and guess what: It’s just started to snow outside! Maybe I should have played it earlier to get some snow in Germany in time for Christmas…

Nice mission! It was quite hard to locate everything, but finally finding something after a thorough search made it that more fun. Thanks, Yandros!

I don't know if it's quite a trick question, it just seems like going overboard to go through all the trouble of installing a game, an FM manager, and and FM to go with it, to show to someone who probably doesn't play the game and won't be able to after you leave.
    It would be easier to use TV out if your video card has one, and video tape you playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by trudnicki
    hi i have almost completed the mission but i still short on one diamond and one cookie any one help me pleaze exatc locations of cookies and diamonds ??
    trudnicki

The objects are placed in different locations depending on what difficulty you are playing.

Here is a little hint if you are playing on expert:

spoiler:
    Check the tree outside in the dark corner for a cookie.

Just wanted to say Thanks
    I haven't lost my mind,
    I have it backed up on disk.
    Oops bad sectors! Damn floppys!
    ICQ#1747197

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    What, you don't have a CD burner?
    I wish ... After my laptop irrevocably crashed, I had to go back to my quite old desktop with no CD burner.

Don't you think it's overkill to bring your Thief 2 CDs and a burnt CD to someone else's house to show them one mission?
    I would have gladly brought both T2 CDs and the FM home with me* just to show this FM off. I mean, come on -- It's Christmas!!...

*(Or d/l'ed the FM from my parents' home if I could have predicted that their connection wasn't dialup -- as it turned out, they got a highspeed connection without telling me.)

OK...........I've got 4 cookies (including
    spoiler:
    the one in the tree outside)
    ...but where's that broom????????? and what about some paintings? oh yeah.and the knive!
    I'm playing on expert now.
    "Normal" was a good start ..........
    "Hard" I couldn't end properly............
    and "Expert" .....well just let me say............I'm running in circles now here.
    Nice music..please snd over the pianist to my house for new year's eve... I'd love that!

GREAT MISSION FOR THIS SEASON !!!

I'll play this one again next year also during the holidays

Gloria Creep

Hello Gloria, these are just some little hints!

The broom:
    spoiler:
    Do some roof-climbing!

The cookie and the knife (I don't know which cookie you are missing, but I'm assuming it's the one I couldn't find either, because it never even occurred to me to look for it there):
    spoiler:
    Check the gates leading off Garrett's property for both the knife and a cookie!

The paintings (at least the one I couldn't find for a long time):
    spoiler:
    take a closer look at one of the bookshelves!

If you need other paintings or if this doesn't help, check the Cheat Sheet in Yandros' signature. You can also find it in the mission's .zip-folder.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    True, just follow the link in my sig, or look in your Thief folder with the mission installed, or follow the Hints link for the mission at Thiefmissions.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx
    I just tried the conversion. The original music files were ~11.3MB at PCM 16 bit mono (one stereo) At IMA ADPCM 22,050k 4bit mono they weigh in at ~3.9MB. A huge savings. However they just don't sound good enough IMO. For this "mission" I think the extra fidelity is warranted. I didn' try IMA ADPCM 44.1k 4bit mono (which usually sounds much better) since the source files had a rate of either 11,025k or 22,050k to begin with.
    I just did this while getting v2.2a ready for release, and I agree. The sound quality is noticeably worse... there's a lot of distortion and more background noise (which to be expected when mashing them down to 4bit). For voice files, it would probably be Ok, but not for music (although if I went back to the original songs and remade the loops, I might be able to keep them at ADPCM 44k/4bit and have it sound decent enough, but I'm not going through the pain of making the loops again... but I'll keep it in mind for future missions).

ZylonBane
    Are you listening to the compressed WAV files directly, or in-game? Something about the way Thief plays sound files seems to smooth over the (very slight) noise introduced by ADPCM.

Just FYI, ADPCM does not convert audio to 4-bit samples. It compresses a 16-bit sample into 4 bits by storing the difference between samples. It's a somewhat lossy process but most people can't tell the difference.

In any case, that isn't a CD player sitting next to that Christmas tree. A little noise in the music (which most people won't even notice) just adds to the authenticity!

Another possiblity, if you simply can't stomach the near-imperceptible ADPCM artifacts, is going with 16-bit 11Khz PCM. It's perfectly clear, but you lose some of the high end.

PS-- Make sure to edit out the notches in the turntable texture. Those are only in the records themselves!
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 30th Dec 2004 at 13:03.

Most of the WAVs in the mission are already 16bit/11khz. And the difference isn't near-imperceptible to me.

OH MY GOD!

This is an absolutely SWEET mission!!!

EXCELLENT!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR THIS, Yandros!!!

YEP !!!

One of the best Christmas gifts this year!

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Thanks! Jason just posted v2.2a which includes German support, courtesy of flying_hope. (Sorry I forgot to mention him in the new readme, I'll correct that soon!)

Just wanted to pop in and say how much I liked this mission. Even got me a bit misty, what with all the sweet music and lovely scenery. Thanks, Yandros!

Yandros, your mission was the best way to start christmas

Yandros, just wanted to tell you how much my kids and I have enjoyed playing this FM at Christmastime the last couple of years. Great fun.
    Cheers!!

Thank you! I need to play through it sometime today myself.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Wow, I can't believe that you guys are still on here. It's good to see that there is still some life left in that beast of an editor DroomEd.

Yandros, your mission is a holiday classic! I also need to dust off my copy of theif and play your mission again.

Hey Yandros! I liked this mission too. I remember playing it in 04. I was just thinking how i need to play this again this christmas. Btw, any chance of a newer Thief's holiday FM? =p Its funny, i was looking for your website, and i checked my email after no success (cuz i like to check my email alot) and saw sc's post. Anyway, what happened to your website? do you have it up somewhere else now?

Merry Christmas,
    SG

I lost my hosting and will be getting new hosting soon, it will probably be back up before New Year's.

This FM is a holiday staple for us now. "It's A Wonderful Life is to TV, as a "Thief's Holiday" is to TTLG.

Yes, it's become a regular Christmas tradition here as well.

This is probably the one FM I share with friends the most, during Christmas-time, since it captures the holiday spirit so well.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast