TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: A Thief's Holiday 2004 * UPDATED Dec 2013

And of course, it will grace the front page of the thief wikia for most of December (one week for the founding of the site, too).

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    I feel like there really should be a sequel to this one.
    Or A Thief's Holiday 2011 Re-edit.

Somehow I don't think Yandros will be working on this anymore. However, it would be cool to see this demo turned into a mission. I mean some of the things were hard to find around the house but to have them spread all over the city or something like that would be even more fun and challenging.

That's actually not a bad idea. A remade version of the level, but with an entire town or city would be cool. That way there would be more to do, and when you were tired of exploring the city, you could go home.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I've already got something in the works for this year, but maybe next year I'll do something like that. but it might make it a lot harder, huh?

Master Builder 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    but it might make it a lot harder, huh?
    I'm thinking no one here is going to mind.

I like the mission becuase of the small area. You don't have to worry about the other things to mind in thief, but any followup, of course I willl play.

I know this isn't really the place to post this - but I don't know where else to put it where he'll read it - Yandros, I tried replying to your most recent PM but your PM box is full and says that you can't accept any new messages.

So I'll just say thank you for your recent help with a mission and take care It was very much appreciated.
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 10th Dec 2010 at 00:28.

Sorry Jack, I cleared out some room once I saw the email about my box being full. Anyway, check your email.

Permission to use stuff from a thief's holiday 2004

Yandros,
    I'm working on a snowy winter version of LOTP and was wondering if it'd be okay to use the lovelyplace.wav and your snowball stuff into my mission? Was the snowman and related snowball stuff all your own creation, or did you take it from somewhere else? (a tutorial implementation?)

Feel free to us my excerpt from A Lovely Place To Be by Patrick O'Hearn as long as you credit him in your readme.

The snowball model is just a downsized boulder (same model) which uses the snow texture. The setup for throwing it and the particles when it splats you're free to copy over to your mission.

The snowman was just made out of objects already available in stock T2 resources I believe (plus larger snowballs), but you can copy it if you like.

Cool, thanks

Sorry for double post, but...

So I've been messing with LOTP, and I wanted to add the lovelyplace as a schema. I took a look at your mission and noticed that you created a schema called lovelyplace under AMB_MISC. So I copied that same thing over, but it doesn't seem to work. I also noticed that your zip file didn't include any files in the schema folder. How the heck did you get it to work? That is, how does the game know where the folder and file xmas\lovelyplace.wav is?

It's been too long since I've messed with schema files, but I thought you had to have a corresponding .SCH for a sound to work properly, yet your zip doesn't provide one. I'm guessing it's GAM related.

Yeah, the schema files don't have to ship with the mission since they're all present in the gamesys once you do reload_schemas. I can send you the one from this mission if I can find it, but it would be simpler to just rename it to an original schema that you're not using in your mission. I use m01drone a lot (the filename is the same).

April 1 (2011): Completed the mission – no late jokes. A tiny bit late for Christmas, and even more for its intended year, but no matter. It got me in a wintry mood again and I didn’t mind it at all.
    It was a tough search. Especially the roof was a nasty one. Suddenly saw the broom standing next to the chimney, but how to get up there? Turned out that I could fire rope arrows in some material that didn’t look like wood (or something similar) at all. Took me some time to think of even trying that.

I especially liked the victrola and how to choose your own music. (Some beauties amongst them! Hope I’ll never forget where I first heard them! ), as well as the gemstone holder – magnificent piece of art – and the cabinet with the dragons and the strange, purple spinning ‘thingey’. Using ‘my’ trusty broom to clean the floor was a nice task.

Thanks for the play, Yandros!

Found one thing a shame though. Outside, looking up at the sky I could see a grid, with stationary (not falling) snowflakes. While it caused not problems or influenced my experience in a negative way, it just looked like it was out of tune as everything else looked perfect.
    Is/was it a bug in your mission, or do I have to blame ‘my’ (actually my brother’s) Thief 2 sky fix?

There is another more challenging way of getting on the roof, if you can't use a rope arrow:

See the tree that is really close to the front porch? Well, you can mantle onto the railing, and then jump over on to the top of the tree. Then, you move very carefully as close as you can to the edge of the roof without falling off the tree and then hold down your jump button to mantle on to the roof.

Evelin, if the snowflakes weren't falling down then that's almost certainly an issue with your Thief installation. I've not heard before of anyone having this problem. Do you have T2Skies installed? I wonder if it could cause something like this. Can you post or email me a screenshot of what the frozen snowflakes (pun intended) look like?

As for roping up to the roof, I thought the dark wood texture on the edge of all the rooflines was obvious... sorry if it wasn't for you. Sneaksie has also provided the way up there without a rope arrow, although it's probably harder than finding the rope arrow (should have made it a little easier in hindsight).

Thanks, sNeaksieGarrett, I'll try it out, but if it will take me too long I'll give up.
    Hmmm... reminds me of a place in a Thief 1 mission...
    *cough cough* Alarus extension *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Evelin, if the snowflakes weren't falling down then that's almost certainly an issue with your Thief installation. I've not heard before of anyone having this problem. Do you have T2Skies installed? I wonder if it could cause something like this. Can you post or email me a screenshot of what the frozen snowflakes (pun intended) look like?
    No no! One of my bads again, sorry... The snow flakes DO fall (and it looks really nice) but beyond them I can see the grid with the stationary flakes.
    EDIT: Now I would still like to hear if anyone else is having that same (visual) "problem". I could send a screenshot (I hope I can ) but perhaps it's no longer necessary.

As for the dark wood texture: no hard feelings! I'll check it out when I try the mantling. Could as well has been me, not notifying that it was wood-like.
    Last edited by Evelin Ash; 8th May 2011 at 18:38. Reason: spelling + other

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks again for this mission Yandros and a Happy Holidays to you as well!
    I'd love to see a new version of this (as I know you are well aware) but I know you have lots of other things to do or whatever might be the reason, so the 2004 version will have to do.

I also wanted to thank you for introducing me to Patrick O'Hearn's music. I loved the track you used in this FM and it led me to look up his album that has it. I ended up purchasing the album thanks to you. So, cheers!

bikerdude
    Would anyone like a version of this fm done in darkmod..?

Hell yeah!

I have neither the time nor expertise biker, but feel free to do it! I'd love to see it.

Sneaksie - So Flows The Current is still one of my favorite of his albums to this day. The ones he did in the 90's are also great but a little samey sounding - Indigo, Trust and Metaphor.

I just replayed it yesterday
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by InfinituS View Post
    Hell yeah!
    Well got all the basic brushwork done today, but additionally am going to add a basement with bathroom & bedroom.

Playing it now.
    Oh the weather outside is frightful... ♪♫♩

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast