TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Questions about secrets

Questions about secrets

I have 2 secret doors that open the passage for each other.
    I want to show dromed that they are the same secret, so when you find the second of them it will not show "Found Secret" again, but how?

And what the "TrackHid" script do?

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    trackhid is a script that will count each secret when frobbed, its buggy on door typically, for two door that will both be a secret and that open separately i've rigged an emitter and a button, the emitter fires and arrow into the button and the secret is counted once because the button has the script on it, the emitter should not have the trapreload script on it. control the emitter with the lever that controls the doors.

Thanks!

Now I will look in some tutorials to discover what is a "emitter" and how to do one.

its a fnord that can create objects in the world for you when triggered, stand alone it will create an object once, with the trapreload script it can do it over and over, the common method here is to make it fire gasarrows, they fly straight, and aim it at a button, viola, keep this in a blue room. these are handy for booby traps, like fireball from a face on a wall or arrows from walls, ala indiana jones in the mayan temple.

It would be much simpler to create a FindSecretTrap and link both the switches to it with a ControlDevice link.
    It seems that the Trap will only respond to one input, so frobbing one switch will cause 'Found Secret' to appear, but frobbing the second one will not.

Thanks R Soul!
    I will go by the easy way.

And Thanks Ottoj55!
    Now I know what is a emitter, and maybe I will use them in other places.

I read some threads, made some tests, and I think that I only need the hidden stat for secret doors. Maybe "TrackHid" and "TrigDoorOpen" are useless.

Track hid is in miss12.osm (used in Casing the Joint and Masks), so it won't do anything if you haven't loaded that module. And you shouldn't need to anyway.
    It's purpose was to allow Masks to 'remember' what secrets you'd already found in Casing the Joint.

You'd only have a use for it if you did two separate missions in the same place.

learn something everyday, had to be a more elegant way to do this, emitters are fun, they can do many things in blue rooms for you.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul
    Track hid is in miss12.osm (used in Casing the Joint and Masks), so it won't do anything if you haven't loaded that module. And you shouldn't need to anyway.
    It's purpose was to allow Masks to 'remember' what secrets you'd already found in Casing the Joint.

You'd only have a use for it if you did two separate missions in the same place.

Thanks for the awnser!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Thanks R Soul, I always wondered why it didn't seem to matter whether I added it or not. Guess if I bothered to read Tom's OSM descriptions in more detail I'd have known it myself... I really need to do that soon.

I have, of course did secrets before, but it's not working for me now. Or is it just that dromed not showing that found secret message?

FindSecretTraps work fine. Check for obvious things like gen.osm being loaded, links going in the right direction etc.

Yes its loaded. I'm in beta testing now, everything else works fine. Isn't it just make a CD link from a switch to a FindSecretTrap?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    You have to actually copy the Hidden property from the archetype onto the concrete FindSecretTrap. So add it and it will get copied from the archetype, then it will work.

I tried added the Dark Gamesys/Stats: Hidden. I that is what you mean? No sound or found secret message in dromed?

*EDIT*
    OK, i tried to zip it and tried it in Thief, and there it's working. So, apparently it's not working in Dromed for me.
    Last edited by Beltzer; 26th Sep 2019 at 02:28.