TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garrett?

Garrett?

I just flipped through an old book of childrens stories, and came across a picture of Robin Hood and his men. One of them was named Garrett, and it got me thinking.
    Where did LGS find inspiration for that name? Personally I thought it was a stroke of genius the first time i heard it. The medieval master thief, Garrett! Did it just appear out of the blue? If so, who came up with it? Or did they steal the name of Robin Hood's Garrett?

Ive checked the Internet, and it turn out Garrett is a surname derieved from Gerald, which means "Ruler of the Spears", and Gerard, which means "Spear" and "Hardy, Brave".
    Honestly, I dont see much of a connection between the name and the Thief, so it seems likely someone just came up with it.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by DarthMRN; 19th Jan 2005 at 17:34.

GENIOUS!

It may have derived from Sean Barrett's name, he was on the LGS team, more or less.

I looked that name up before. It means 'strong with a spear'. It also refers to old attics, especially those that are dingy, dark, and forgotten.

Yes yes, Thiefsie. I took care of it.
    You trying to become a new ZylonBane or something?
    Trust me, this forum can do with one.

You guys have never heard of someone named Garrett before?

Yes, we have, although it is a rather uncommon name. But what we have all thought is, why Garrett?

I note and appreciate the fact that Looking Glass rarely used "normal" names, but they didn't simply throw in a bunch of "old" names. They used strange or uncommon ones.

So why Garrett? It fits so well, but how did they decide on that instead of something like Jack or William?

One of my brother's nephews is named Garrett, he's only just a baby. I hadn't even been around him since I started playing Thief until a few months ago, and I didn't make the cross-connection until I was half asleep and heard someone yelling, "Garrett's loose, has anyone seen him?"

But yeah, he's the only person I've heard of who's called Garrett.

I never wondered 'why Garrett'. I figured they heard the name someplace and liked it so they used it. Yes, it's not very common. But it's not unique either.

And you say 'it fits so perfectly'. How, exactly? I mean if the character was called... I don't know... Caleb, it would seem like a really good fit because hey the master thief's name is Caleb!

I wouldn't go ascribing any deep scholarship or hidden meanings is all I'm saying.

I remember a story about Hemingway. Someone was telling him how the highbrow critics or literature profs were saying that the flying doves in a love scene symbolized how the female character was losing her virginity. Hemingway said something along the lines of "I just thought it was a nice touch. I wasn't writing about anyone's flying virginity."

'Course maybe I'm lying because if you figure out the true meaning of Garrett you get the Bow Upgrade.

I'm sorry, but Caleb would not have worked well at all. "A refreshment, Mister Caleb? I am in the posession of a superior brandy..."

For me, "Garrett" is nothing but 'master thief' after I have played T1,2,3.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNightTerror
    ... heard someone yelling, "Garrett's loose, has anyone seen him?"
    And did you respond, "Try checking those shadows!"

But aren't we not supposed to give away... Give away... Give away our *hic* plan?

Personally, I think that if they had chosen any other name (well almost any other name, see the next paragraph,) then we would be equating "Master Thief" with whatever name they had chosen. Garrett has become synonymous with "Master Thief" solely because LGS made it so (in TDP.)

Now, an extremely common name, or a name with clear references that already exist, would not have worked as well. For example, George wouldn't have really made it because it is too common. The same thing goes for Arthur as there are already clearly established references that go with that name. Another bad choice would be any name with clear cultural references. Such as Billybob or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin
    And did you respond, "Try checking those shadows!"
    Actually, I'm so used to being Garrett, not to mention overtired at the time, my reaction wasn't quite that. My reflex action was to tap the hotkey for the invisibility potion, (can't remember which key it is anymore) then to right click so I'd drink it. I poked my leg then started tapping it like I was trying to right click. My friend I was with had seen me playing Thief the night before so she broke down laughing, but everyone else was more concerned with finding Garrett.
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix
    Another bad choice would be any name with clear cultural references. Such as Billybob or some such.
    "A refreshment mister Billybob?"
    Oh man that kept me ROFL for almost half an hour

Yeah, LGS really made a symbol out of the Thief's name. Every time I hear it i feel some respect (and envy, to be honest ) to the man called so. Maybe it's because I'm used to it, but to me it really fits the character our Garrett is.

Off-topic for a minute here:
    While I still have a relatively low post count on this forum and can hide underneath the cloak of newbieness, what in the Maw does ROFL actually mean?

(hides underneath Cloak of Newbieness)

ROLF!

Rolling on the floor laughing!

This is what I think!

This is what I found. Thief The Dark Project Release Date US: December 3, 1998. That same year Quest for Camelot (1998) was released read synapsis,
    "The tale of a girl named Kayley whose father, a Knightof the Round Table, is killed by Sir Ruber, a maniacal brute who steals Excalibur and threatens to
    seize King Arthur's Camelot. Kayley enlists the blind, reclusive knight-aspirant Garrett to brave the Enchanted Forest and retrievethe magic sword, and their adventure is (of course) fraught with danger." This movie was based on Vera Chapman's novel The King's Damosel and for whom was was the founder of theTolkien Society

Quote Originally Posted by spix's circlet
    Okay, it has been speculated that Revd chose the surname Carroll, well, because:

L i d d e l l
    C a r r o l l

It fits nicely into his genius of (english) literature. Lewis Carroll wrote himself: 'One of the deepest motives in the human breast (so deep that many have failed to detect it) is Alliteration.'

Notice now,

C a r r o l l
    G a r r e t t
    Okay, after puzzling over that for about three minutes, I still don't get it, unless you mean the pattern of consonant, vowel, double consonant, vowel, and double consonant.

Previously Important
    It's like a conspiracy theory, but way more nerdy. What's next? Pseudo-literary justification for why the Meccaryns are called Baz, Reg, and Tel?

spix's circlet- Wow, I never knew that about Aardvark putting his sig in there. Very crafty. Hmm, you may have something there with the name, but it still seems more coincidental to me.

Actually, I'm so used to being Garrett, not to mention overtired at the time, my reaction wasn't quite that. My reflex action was to tap the hotkey for the invisibility potion, (can't remember which key it is anymore) then to right click so I'd drink it. I poked my leg then started tapping it like I was trying to right click. My friend I was with had seen me playing Thief the night before so she broke down laughing, but everyone else was more concerned with finding Garrett.
    Ha, a genuine Thief moment if I ever heard of one.

And yes, Billybob just doesn't quite work the way Garrett does. I mean how can you build up a reputation as a master thief with a name like that?

Lol, I don't know, maybe I'm completely wrong, but I think spix's circlet is giving a satirical example showing how crazy these "nerdy conspiracy theories" can get. It's very unlikely that the name Garrett was meant to have multiple references to such a variety of things. (That's what I hate about some literary analyses. They often find things the author probably never intended; like Oneiroscope was mentioning.)

And there is no alliteration in
    L i d d e l l
    C a r r o l l
    G a r r e t t
    although there is consonance, assonance, and the similar structure Tony mentioned.

Also, from Wikipedia, about Charles Dodgson's penname. "This pseudonym was a play on his real name, Lewis being the anglicised form of Ludovicus, which was the Latin for Lutwidge, and Carroll being an anglicised version of Carolus, the Latin for Charles." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Carroll) Although I do grant that that doesn't rule out the possibility of the Liddell interpretation.
    Last edited by Deiyen; 21st Jan 2005 at 04:25.

Sweet and Simple

Maybe they used the name because it was the name of an old noble that was so selfish that he used to gamble and cheat so it was also called stealing and it was an ingeaneouse way of stealing the money.I loked it up in an old medival stories book and it also had stories about the HAG.If any body has anything else on the HAG in the real world then just let me know!!!!

Don't forget...

garret

n : floor consisting of open space at the top of a house just below roof; often used for storage

A good entry for a thief if they could get that high.

Maybe they just heard the name and liked it. So they used it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast