TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152025303540455055 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic
    Wow, for a straight up plugin normalmapped texture it turned out pretty alright.

If you want any more texture sources I have tons. Alot of them will require some photoshop/gimp skills to get them gameready, though.
    Well, greyscaled the image and went quick around the stone outlines a bit before I normalized it. Can't get the bumps to stick out as much as I'd like though.

Also, you're the tDM texture guy? You seem to be a bit good Any tips for making normal maps?

If you want any more texture sources I have tons. Alot of them will require some photoshop/gimp skills to get them gameready, though.
    Yep, would love to get hold of more, cheers.

Moderator and Priest
    Fingernail is the hardcore normalmapper at the moment (I'm still learning my way around Lightwave), I do the diffuse and speculars. But in my opinion, doing the normals via a 3D suite will net you FAR better results than doing them with heightmaps or running them straight through the plugin.

Some textures will take longer to do than others, but once you get used to using something like Lightwave, Max, or Blender, I'd say it'll take about 10-15 minutes to do a basic architectural normalmap.

As for the textures, I'll compile the big list 'o fun and make a seperate post here.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 17th Apr 2005 at 22:12.

Right now for my first project im creating a large cathedral complete with real paintings and such. So far I have yet to use static meshes and already it looks sweet!

Irrational Games
    A little update, for those who might be interested. Some textures are still temporary, but it's a taste of where I'm going.

I gave these a little brightening in photoshop.

Moderator and Priest
    Oooh, purdy. I like it.

Damn! I don't know if it's the bloom hitting me unexpectedly (I don't use it when I play), but that first shot is quite surreal, rujuro. Good stuff.

Awesome!

I am in need of your mission. Now! Great job man.

Irrational Games
    Thanks for all the kind words . I'm doing a ton of custom mesh and texture work, so it's going to take a while before it all is said and done. Hopefully it will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic
    Some textures will take longer to do than others, but once you get used to using something like Lightwave, Max, or Blender, I'd say it'll take about 10-15 minutes to do a basic architectural normalmap.
    Any chance of your posting a rough guide on how to do this with Blender? I can do basic modelling, but I never figured out how to get it to export textures or normal maps in a usable form.

Moderator and Priest
    I can't. The combined time I've spent with Blender would be somewhere in the 15 minute range...I don't know jack about it. :P

But I can provide you with a couple of good resources for you to hit up that might help you out..

Ben Clowards...really indepth stuff here

And

Doom3World

D3W has a Blender forum you can hit up for info. Since normals work the same across both engines you could easily take what's said there and apply it to T3Ed.

Thanks, those look like valuable resources. I wonder why the T3 devs could not have used that Unreal .ASE model format that Blender supports?

Feeling bored, so here's what I' working on. Or at least some of the more pretty areas of it so far:

No custom content I'm afraid, but there is some excellent resources already in there if you care to dig far enough.

awesome. I really love that last shot.

if anyone wants the penrhyn castle file then i will transfer it to them by Skype. PM me if you are interested.

Ziemanskye, out of curiosity, whats your framerate in those shots?

Those shots look great.

I really like the model town on display.... the light house is a nice touch. Looks great!

Here's the map I'm working on. I just started on the first floor, while the main layout of the basement is done.

It's nothing all that special, just a good old-fashioned rob the mansion mission.

Last edited by Orkin Man; 30th Apr 2005 at 20:15.

And I was trying to show off...

Nice work Orkin,

Jadon - No idea, not looking at fps, just how smooth it runs on my system, but the bar needs a little work - it's a noticable slow. And I'm not actually working on it anymore, no updates till my tester can get it to run! [where are those damn trigger scripts, and how do I get them to him, since they aren't in the ibt? grr... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Orkin Man
    Here's the map I'm working on. I just started on the first floor, while the main layout of the basement is done.

It's nothing all that special , just a gold old-fashioned rob the mansion mission.
    nothing special??? nothing special??? That looks amazing!

Wow dude, that looks great!

Orkin Man Cool! Keep up the good work and does anyone else think the last screenshot of Orkin Man's remind them of Dungeon Keeper 2?

And Ziemanskye I figured as much see all the lights and all.

Man, I've been disconnected from the internet way too long. This is driving me crazy, I want that damn editor. Is it pretty buggy to use?

As for the debate with Dario, I believe this has been said before, but engine loyalty is silly. You should let the game dictate the engine choice. Doom 3 engine is a good engine, but for only specific games, such as Thief. Source is a good engine, but has its own drawbacks. Notice that in the outside larger levels in HL2, they use very low res textures for the terrain. Not to mention, it's a pain to do a lot of things in Source. Things should have been made more user friendly and built right into the level editor, like UE3 is doing. But once that comes out I'm sure there will be flaws with it too.

Also, Renzatic, hows this Thief 3 editor coming out effecting the Dark Mod, if at all? (I can still have those photos some day, heh, family stuff has been setting back left and right here. Living arrangments have changed so I don't have access to those churches anymore, but I can go up there this summer sometime)
    Last edited by killed; 1st May 2005 at 17:43.

Well, here's a little screenshot of my own, and hopefully more people are planning on posting shots. These so far have been awesome.

http://img112.echo.cx/my.php?image=apt0013ve.jpg

The problem I am running into is deciding what type of level I want to make. Cavern, City Type, Sewers, Up the side of a building, and Rooftop. I keep starting one of each type and then leaving it to try other things as I learn.

I have one I want to make of our cabin and barn up in the mountains, but I may run into problems with open space. I have all the measurements paced off and it's about 1000x200 feet which I assume is 16,000x3,200 unreal units. Will fog limit the engine from rendering past a certain distance?

Edit: I was wondering why dirt kept falling on my head. It just needed a little reinforcement.
    http://img37.echo.cx/my.php?image=apt0026mz.jpg
    Last edited by Bardic; 9th May 2005 at 20:08.

Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152025303540455055 ... LastLast