TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182328333843485358 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

My map: It's just a small, upmarket inn. Expect a simple "nick the loot" mission. Later I'll do a secret hammerite cathedral and let my particle knowledge run wild.

(Click to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by str8g8
    It's really inspriring to see all the great work that's being done in the editor now. Here's part of my effort (very much work in progress):

Shalebridge Road

Needs more detail I think, washing hanging on lines, etc.

cheers
    str8g8
    All I can say is wow.....I'll say it again, wow.

Yeah, that road is nice in terms of texture and lighting, but I think perhaps the brick texture is scaled too large, the houses look a bit miniature and cartoonlike somehow.

Administrator
    My favourite little scene so far, even if it's a bit simple: here and here. Flesh has a tendency to make almost anything look good...

Door
    T3 is honestly still one of the best looking games around . The bump mapping matches that of D3 I'd say. I love this game

That's looking great!
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Some nice looking pics guys. Just thought I'd post these here. It's a fairly typical mansion setting in a T2 style, but I'm trying to exploit new T3 features more (physics, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by scumble
    My favourite little scene so far, even if it's a bit simple: here and here. Flesh has a tendency to make almost anything look good...
    not bad, but I like a bit of color contrast in the lighting (that's why my ambient light is blue - it contrasts the yellow lighting). Keep up the great work!

Centralized photo album?

What would you guys say to a centralized place for Thief 3 screenshots? Maybe it's just my laziness, but I thought it'd be neat to browse through photos by author and have them right at my fingertips. Plus, there would be no worries about image hosting, as it'd be in one place. I was first looking at MSN Groups, but then found MyPhotoAlbum which allows unlimited photos and probably would look nicer. Plus, I can supposedly "create [my] own members" to allow access to uploading more screens. I'm sure you've all held back on the eye candy because you are too modest (), and this would encourage everyone to open up more, offer inspiration to fellow FleshEd'ers, and an easier way to leech for those of us hungry for FMs.

I do understand that the discussion and explanation is an important part of it, but I'm also thinking of taffers who have no desire or inclination to mod themselves and because of that, might not even be seeing this thread. My thought was that I'd harvest all the pictures here so far (with everyone's permission), put them in folders named by screenname of author, and then create members of anyone who wanted to continue updating the community by uploading new screenshots there.

Yay or nay? I don't know if photos can be remote loaded, but the upside is, again, having everything centralized, and being able to give one simple url (i.e., http://thief3screens.myphotoalbum.com). Thoughts on this, even if you think it's stupid, are welcome.

deadman.

I think it's a good idea - I have already spent time browsing through threads looking for screenshots from a few months ago, and other people probably have too.

Thanks. I'll wait for responses from others. It probably is wise to start a new thread, though (regardless of how hesitant I am at doing that), as not all the authors and soon-to-be-authors will probably see this post. I hope people approve of it, and as I said, it encourages them to showcase more areas/screens, apart from also being centralized.

deadman.

What the library looks like now:

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt
    There actually isn't any detail whatsoever in the shadows ... I found this out after opening it up in Photoshop and seeing if I could brighten things up (most screens are too dark on my monitor with my calibration, bah). I wonder if that's an issue with whatever image capturing software you used (or if you just used printscreen). Scary, I'm reminded of Thief 1 screenshots..

But keep it up!

deadman.

Just print screen. I'm going to decide on the ambient light when the entire map's finished so I can be sure that the areas meant to be very dark are appropriately so. The room looks a bit brighter in-game, since I didn't really brighten up the screenshot at all and it's on a bright background.

I might stick with the pitch black shadows, depending on how the rest of the building turns out. It's subterranean, so the lack of ambient light sort helps reinforce the feeling that you're deep below the earth.

It's kind of tricky to come up with lighting ideas for an ancient underground mansion, since I can't use any windows or electric lights, and the "strange" lights have to be used sparingly if I don't want the building to look wrong.

Moderator and Priest
    A room that's that well lit will probably have some ambient lighting, even if it is underground. Try and go for a gentle yellow glow, something slightly darker than your default lighting, and see how it looks.

As a vague suggestion, but maybe you can set ambient lighting on the zone properties? I know you can in Unreal, but not sure about Flesh.

And you can have windows, sort of, just have some broken/glassless ones if you can and have candles or oil lamps in the spaces.

If you want to be really funky, you could also try some luminous moss, and if the place is to be dark as a general rule, expand all of your lights' radii (and place more for 'bounces') to give the impression of the light travelling further without interferance.

Also, I think paticle effects are mostly additive textures, so you can use them even in complete darkness to give the air a dusty sparkly texture.

And if there are living human occupants (even better if they are only in part of it) - put small candles all over the place, they don't all have to be lit, and their function isn't so much to light as to give the darkness shape.

Sorry, just ranting now, but maybe you could use some of the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziemanskye
    Also, I think paticle effects are mostly additive textures, so you can use them even in complete darkness to give the air a dusty sparkly texture.
    There are several different render styles for the sprite emitter's texture, under emitter-> emittername-> texture. Transparent seems to be the same as addition, except addition doesn't seem to brighten itself as much, darken is good for creating black smoke with a white texture, etc.

EDIT: Inn update, maybe it'll be a bit larger than I thought. Now it has a library, one "common room", a master bedroom for the innkeeper, a dining room and seven (7!) rooms for renting out.

After I've built that bit I'll do the second part of the level - breaking and entering.

Teh library (bottom floor not finished)

Last edited by ProjectX; 15th Jul 2005 at 11:33.

Irrational Games
    still hammering away

a little flat, colorwise, but works pretty well for the mood I aim to create

Wow... seriously, wow. I go away for a few weeks and I come back to this. Amazing work.

I can't wait to play the mission rujuro are making since I first saw that wonderful concept art and how close to it were screenshots.

I wonder whether half of te FMs shown here are still being worked on... I know mine (actually my 3 FMs now) is. New shots'll be up soon, doing a huge-ass sewer-area with Kurshoks, Pagans and Bandits - oh my!

Irrational Games
    I wonder that too. I'm pretty stunned by the realization of just how much I've bitten off, but I'm committed to finishing mine (unless I die first).

I'll porbably die before I finish my contest entry. When properly designed 4 40x40x40 cubes can be quite big (i.e. roughly 14 floors, each with 2 - 4 average-sized rooms!! That makes between 28 and 56 rooms!!!)

There actually isn't any detail whatsoever in the shadows ... I found this out after opening it up in Photoshop and seeing if I could brighten things up (most screens are too dark on my monitor with my calibration, bah). I wonder if that's an issue with whatever image capturing software you used (or if you just used printscreen). Scary, I'm reminded of Thief 1 screenshots..
    Unless he uses HDR image capture software (which I sincerely doubt, because it would be a waste of money) you're not going to see anything when you brighten those shadows, whether there's anything there or not.

Here's a more recent picture with less severe shadows.

that's looking very good, if very, erm... yellow.

Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182328333843485358 ... LastLast